Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan earthquake related AA events / flight diversions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
In transit at both airports, you are allowed 24 hours visa free as long as you can provide confirmed documentation of an onward flight (you are even allowed to leave the airport).
But you cannot leave the airport, as I understand it.

Originally Posted by barelyelite
I'm also booked JFK-NRT on 25 Mar, returning HND-JFK on 29 Mar. As of the moment, I intend to travel as scheduled, though I will certainly reevaluate as the date approaches.
It's the radiation that has me most concerned (overnighting at NRT on 3/24)
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA PE, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Quite the contrary; I myself am a Japanese-American who visits Japan annually so I know what the country is like and how they handle crises like these by being there first hand during the Great Hanshin Earthquake that struck Kobe back in the early 1990s.

Keep in mind that Tokyo was pretty much spared as the hardest hit is near the epicenter is in the Northern region of Japan, notably near Sendai. Unless your plans included visiting this region it should be okay.

And to put it straight-forwardly, it would actually help Japan by continuing to have tourists still coming in as any economical activity will contribute to generating revenue into the economy which in turn goes into helping the victims.

Japan is a self-sustaining country whose citizens are are very diligent and remain calm even after going through such a catastrophe; just like the Great Hanshin Earthquake that struck Kobe back in the early 1990s, you're not going to see looting or chaos. Rather, it may give you renewed view of Japan by visiting the country facing such a crisis to see that everyone works together helping each other out. So don't think of yourself as "just getting in the way," rather, think of ways in which you can contribute to the relief effort while you're there.

If I were in your shoes, I'd still go to Japan 2 wks from now. But at the same time I'd also bring some spare blankets, clothes and any other charitable items to donate to the local charity centers that are popping up all over Japan now. Your place of stay would gladly accept them on your behalf for donation. Visiting a Japan Red Cross center during your stay to donate some of your blood would also be of great help as well.
Completely agreed. I we can't change things up, my wife and I will definitely go and will focus on helping out where and how we can. I have no desire to sightsee in a place that is going through something like this...it just feels completely off.

As for Tokyo, I know it is removed geographically from the worst hit areas, but I have spoken to friends there that say people are very on edge from the continued aftershocks and the possible radiation issues. I was in Argentina during the financial crisis and Mumbai when it flooded 5 years ago due to a Typhoon and I can tell you from firsthand experience, even when you have the best intentions to help, you are largely in the way as a tourist in an area that is experiencing crisis.

All that said, my issue is only with AA's response. Think the way the reacted to the MSNBC reporter, the way they responded to my situation and others is just not the right way to handle the situation. I'm very flexible with my travel and figured they would work with a long-time EXP (or quite frankly any traveler) to alter the travel.

Finally, if the radiation thing is anywhere near the situation that one poster described...I'm not going to Tokyo under any circumstances! That said...I'll wait to learn more before over-reacting.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:34 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
AAbsolutely! I agree... Japan has much better and higher preparedness and response than most people do, and I think it would actually help if people followed through with their visiting plans. The extras would be a nice gesture, especially as AA elites are allowed more bags.
Agreed as well. The FT folks that were en-route when the quake hit, and have been in Japan since have commented on just how organized everything is, and how well things are going at the airport. Yeah, it can suck to be there for extended periods, but the people are calm and orderly and things are being handled smoothly. This isn't the US, after all

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by leroystl
All that said, my issue is only with AA's response. Think the way the reacted to the MSNBC reporter, the way they responded to my situation and others is just not the right way to handle the situation. I'm very flexible with my travel and figured they would work with a long-time EXP (or quite frankly any traveler) to alter the travel.
Their response has been dreadful in my opinion. I'm giving it until tomorrow before I begin working my way up the chain of command with AA internally. And if I don't get a satisfactory answer, I do plan on contacting some of the media folks I know.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MM
Headed to NRT now from LAX, AA169, all seems normal aside from a boarding delay. Radiation fears should not be overblown, and if you are going to Tokyo and south should be relatively calm. Agree with someone's comment that this is Japan, not the US. Rolling blackouts are likely in Tokyo region though.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
But you cannot leave the airport, as I understand it.

It's the radiation that has me most concerned (overnighting at NRT on 3/24)
There is no danger. The reactor's containment vessel is designed to contain a full meltdown, and there won't be a full meltdown because the plant's operators succeeded in shutting down the reaction. They just need to keep the reactor cool in order to prevent further damage to the system.

There are a lot of comparisons floating around between Japan and Chernobyl. Such talk is utterly irresponsible--the reactors are night and day different. It's like comparing a 777 to the Hindenburg because "both are airships." To cite an example, the Chernobyl reactor design was so terribly flawed that any attempt to shut it down actually caused the reaction to *speed up!*

http://www.livescience.com/13202-jap...chernobyl.html
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Marriott Platinum
A+ for AA

I live in FL and turned on my computer early on March 11th to learn that Japan just had a devastating eathquake.

My wife and I planned to fly March 16th to Narita and stay there overnight. We then would flying JAL to Singapore for a cruise. I immediately called the EXP desk and the agent rerouted us to SIN via PVG. We were also able to use our VIP's to PVG. We get a little less sleep, but avoid Japan and possibly contributing to their problems.

These changes were efficiently and pleasantly made.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Unfortunately only time will tell how severe the nuclear threat really is. No one on flyer talk is an expert and all too often experts are wrong. I seriously doubt the Japanese government is disclosing everything, during a crisis like this much of the information is most likely censured. So to say there is no danger this early in the game is sort of irresponsible.

Japan is about the size of California and an area larger than Sacramento has been evacuated. This area in distance from Tokyo is about the same distance from Sacramento to San Jose.

Originally Posted by lobo411
There is no danger. The reactor's containment vessel is designed to contain a full meltdown, and there won't be a full meltdown because the plant's operators succeeded in shutting down the reaction. They just need to keep the reactor cool in order to prevent further damage to the system.

There are a lot of comparisons floating around between Japan and Chernobyl. Such talk is utterly irresponsible--the reactors are night and day different. It's like comparing a 777 to the Hindenburg because "both are airships." To cite an example, the Chernobyl reactor design was so terribly flawed that any attempt to shut it down actually caused the reaction to *speed up!*

Old Mar 13, 2011, 1:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
rogodwin, it sounds like AA are finally putting some policy in place and following through properly with customers. Good for them!

OTOH, I think March 16 via NRT would have not been a significant problem - the severe seismic and tsunami activities, not to mention Fukushima reactor issues, are a significant distance north of the Kanto Plains area. The worst effects in Tokyo on the 16th will probably manifest themselves as some foodstuffs and goods shortages in shops and some restaurants, perhaps a rail line or two with repairs. There could be some fuel and smoke issues due to the Chiba refinery fire. ADDED: A number of expressways and high speed railways remain closed, and because of the powerplant issues, power is in short supply and strong power conservation measures are implemented in the Kanto area. Given current state of affairs in Japan and AA's updated policies, I would postpone my non-essential travel to Japan.

The idea we will experience four Chernobyls in Japan, etc. etc. is at this time pure hyperbole from talking heads which have emerged from darker, warmer places and are totally without any knowledge of actual conditions and geography in Japan and science, IMO. (And the containment vessels are much stronger than Chernobyl - but it looks like the Fukushima Daiichi plant with four reactors is, technically speaking, toast.)

I would definitely cancel any notions of heading to northern Honshu, especially the prefectures severely affected by seismic and tsunami activity, of course.

Off topic, but for those who are concerned sufficiently to want to contribute, one reliable organization with teams on the ground and considerable expertise is Nobel-prize winning Medicins Sans Frontieres / Doctors Without Borders. One can read - and contribute - at www.doctorswithoutborders.org.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 14, 2011 at 10:03 am Reason: UPDATE
Old Mar 13, 2011, 2:24 pm

There is no danger. The reactor's containment vessel is designed to contain a full meltdown
The reactor's backup systems were also designed to maintain cooling in the event of power loss.

Obviously, everyone is hoping that there will be no further release of radioactivity and no further problems with the reactors, but I am not sure anyone removed from the situation can simply assume that all is well.

rogodwin, it sounds like AA are finally putting some policy in place and following through properly with customers. Good for them!
AA did allow me to rebook trips that involved NRT later this month (past the 18th) but only for flights where original inventory is available. They waived the change fees, but fare differences still applied.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 2:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the update! It's hard for me to sometimes make out what AA actually is saying when they post "If you are traveling to/from/through Tokyo, Japan Haneda (HND) or Narita (NRT) on March 11-18, 2011, and your ticket was issued no later than March 11, 2011, you may begin travel as late as March 25, 2011. Original inventory required? No; the ticket reissue charge will be waived for one ticket change." (see following post)

(About the reactors, the safety systems were designed to operate with power - even the backup power was knocked out by the tsunami effects, so now they are up to pouring seawater with boron in the form of boric acid as an emergency rod coolant - in effect the reactors will most likely not be operable any time after this, and they were only licensed to their optimum life - ironically, later this month.) Reactor 3 is the one to watch...

Originally Posted by anabolism
The reactor's backup systems were also designed to maintain cooling in the event of power loss.

Obviously, everyone is hoping that there will be no further release of radioactivity and no further problems with the reactors, but I am not sure anyone removed from the situation can simply assume that all is well.

AA did allow me to rebook trips that involved NRT later this month (past the 18th) but only for flights where original inventory is available. They waived the change fees, but fare differences still applied.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm
Old Mar 13, 2011, 3:01 pm

Thanks for the update! It's hard for me to sometimes make out what AA actually is saying when they post "If you are traveling to/from/through Tokyo, Japan Haneda (HND) or Narita (NRT) on March 11-18, 2011, and your ticket was issued no later than March 11, 2011, you may begin travel as late as March 25, 2011. Original inventory required? No; the ticket reissue charge will be waived for one ticket change."
Just to clarify: since my tickets were for travel within Japan a few days after the 18th, the "Original inventory required? No" waiver didn't apply. (This forced us to shave days off our previous stop-off.)
Old Mar 14, 2011, 7:43 am

Question

Do you work in this field?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
new updated info on AA site

On iPhone, can't easily link, but those who have travel past 3/18 can now reschedule flights until 5/10, BUT original inventory must be avail.

Hoping to call back today about my options. The A team was not on yesterday and was uncomfortable making any changes.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: DL (MM), UA(MM) , AA(MM) , Bonvoy - LT Titanium
Waiver Extended by AA only

Looks like waiver has been extended for planned travel until April 10 from March 18.

UA's waiver remains until Mar 18 - no change from original alert.

Delta's remains at March 20 - no change from original alert.

US State dept remains until April 1. - no change from original alert

GO FIGURE!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.