Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan earthquake related AA events / flight diversions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:13 pm

Japan - AA flights to NRT Canceled today.

AA today canceled ALL their flghts to NRT today. Saturday all flights from NRT have been cancled except AA 60 to DFW.
Some flights from U.S. on saturday are canceled.
check aa.com status.

Some DL flights from U.S. to NRT did fly today.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Cars and light aircraft are now flotsam on the runway and elsewhere, at SDJ.

On the bettah news front, Hawai'i has experienced surge and water over the breakwater walls, but no serious issue so far, so presumably AA ops to the Islands are okeh.

"Water rushed onshore in Honolulu, swamping the beach in Waikiki and surging over the break wall in the resort but stopped short of the area's high-rise hotels.

Waves of 6 feet high were recorded in Maui, and 3 feet in Oahu and Kauai. Officials warned that the waves would continue and could become larger, but a scientist at the tsunami warning center said it didn't appear that they would cause major damage in Hawaii, according to the Associated Press."

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
What did they do with all the planes? Did they just fly them all away? How did they do that if the runways were wet?

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:04 pm

I had worked so hard to plan this vacation after collecting so many miles / points over the years. We are currently booked in F / J class from DFW - JFK - HND and back with outbound travel to begin Mar 15. I was also able to use my Citi TY points to buy 4 economy tickets and get them upgraded to intl J for the entire family going and coming back and was also able to use my Marriott / Hyatt points to book stay at very nice hotels. However, now we are debating if it would be wise to even take this trip.

Also, I called AA and asked about the refund / cancellation policy and was informed that since I purchased discounted economy tickets i will be issued 4 seperate vouchers one in each traveling person's name.

First question is would you recommend cancelling this trip for now. Also, can these travel vouchers be used piece meal at a later date e.g. if the voucher is worth $1000 can it be used to purchase a $800 ticket and then a $400 ticket by paying additional $200 or any other permutation / combination. Also, does the voucher have to be used for the exact same person or can it be used to purchase a ticket for anybody.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by svasandani
I had worked so hard to plan this vacation after collecting so many miles / points over the years. We are currently booked in F / J class from DFW - JFK - HND and back with outbound travel to begin Mar 15. I was also able to use my Citi TY points to buy 4 economy tickets and get them upgraded to intl J for the entire family going and coming back and was also able to use my Marriott / Hyatt points to book stay at very nice hotels. However, now we are debating if it would be wise to even take this trip.

Also, I called AA and asked about the refund / cancellation policy and was informed that since I purchased discounted economy tickets i will be issued 4 seperate vouchers one in each traveling person's name.

First question is would you recommend cancelling this trip for now. Also, can these travel vouchers be used piece meal at a later date e.g. if the voucher is worth $1000 can it be used to purchase a $800 ticket and then a $400 ticket by paying additional $200 or any other permutation / combination. Also, does the voucher have to be used for the exact same person or can it be used to purchase a ticket for anybody.
The big concern is the aftershocks! So, you need to decide what your party is willing to deal with, in terms of 'comfort' on your vacation! More information will be available as each day unfolds. Also, it depends on where you are planning to go in Japan. GL!^
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
not sure about the others, but it looks like yesterday's AA153 is coming back to ORD from ANC.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Today is March 11th, and personally, with some flexibility in mind, I would watch and see what happens the days to come, contact the hotel to determine it's OK (early next week) as well. Look at the map above, and you can see where the epicenter was; the Kanto area is pretty well planned and built due to Japan's high level of earthquake consciousness and preparedness; I suspect inspections will reveal most transport infrastructure is OK and usable, and most buildings are fine as well.

You will have booked, confirmed seats, and I do not suspect the flights will be cancelled at this point. I certainly could be wrong, but I've weathered severe typhoons and the like in Tokyo and everything bounced back to normal pretty quickly. (Electricity in some locations, some foodstuffs - those may experience interruptions; in the northern area, Fukushima, Morioka, Sendai etc. I'd surely cancel.)

I've not used vouchers too much, so I recommend the thread on vouchers (Advanced Search, titles, threads only,) for the skinny on vouchers.

Originally Posted by svasandani

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 11, 2011 at 5:08 pm
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:39 pm

Was supposed to be on today (saturday, march 12) flight 170 NRT-LAX

And since I had no access to internet nor phone until this morning, when I called to rebook, the earliest flight that they could put me on was for the 15th! (and it's a connecting flight in HNL with a six hour layover)

any suggestions as to how to get on an earlier flight? I've been traveling for nine months and was really looking forward to going home!

i'm flying on an award ticket, business class.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by julesrules_79

any suggestions as to how to get on an earlier flight? I've been traveling for nine months and was really looking forward to going home!
As you can imagine, things are in a bit of a mess right now and everyone is trying to figure out the impact on the airport, flights, and schedules. My suggestion is to grab what you can now and then keep calling back to see if anything opens up between now and the 15th.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:19 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yuchung5
not sure about the others, but it looks like yesterday's AA153 is coming back to ORD from ANC.
No it's not.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Per AA Japan: http://www.americanairlines.jp/intl/...ws20110311.jsp

Flights flying today (12MAR LT) out of Japan
AA168 NRT-JFK
AA60 NRT-DFW

CANCELLED
AA134 HND-JFK
AA176 NRT-DFW
AA170 NRT-LAX
AA154 NRT-ORD
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Originally Posted by HNL
No it's not.
HNL, you are right. Looks like I am bluffing.
Flightaware is a little bit weird now.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:26 pm

AA's now offering bonus miles for donations to the Red Cross for Japan/Pacific earthquake/tsunami relief. 250 miles for $50; 500 miles for $100+. ^

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/disasterrelief.jsp
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
AA135, ANC-HND, took off about an hour ago headed for HND.

AA153 is still showing scheduled ANC-NRT to depart now (17:30 local time) but I have not heard its status.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:39 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
AA135, ANC-HND, took off about an hour ago headed for HND.

AA153 is still showing scheduled ANC-NRT to depart now (17:30 local time) but I have not heard its status.
It's stilly flying ANC-NRT
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
MSNBC article on a journalist on AA 135 diverted to ANC
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42033999/ns/travel-news/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.