Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan earthquake related AA events / flight diversions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
With six 777s now tied up in (or enroute to) Japan, I imagine there will be some knock-on effects of this event throughout the system, with a day or two of equipment substitution, and even flight consolidation/cancellation both to Europe and South America.

Any signs of this yet?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by techgirl
Don't be too hopeful. It's showing canceled on what I'm looking at.

I've been on ExpertFlyer looking at loads and flights are almost entirely zeroed out in all classes - ORD-NRT had three coach seats and that's about all I found today. Availability is out there in most classes tomorrow - but some gateways look to be coach only, others business only, C inventory for upgrades Y-J is available on some routes.

I'm canceling my trip - I have no need to be there in the middle of all this and I will reschedule for a time when I'm not going to be underfoot.
Yes, business can be rescheduled!^ The airports need to be utilized for emergency aid!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by jackal
I am looking at the two AA 777s in ANC right now. Beautiful and rare site!

Haven't heard of any FTers stuck in ANC, but please PM me or beckoa if you are here and need assistance of any sort.

I can arrange ground transportation if you need me to. Please let us know if you need help.

(There's also supposed to be a UA 744 here, but it must be parked on the far side of the ramp.)
I'll do what I can- send me a PM, not sure how long AA's stay will be. But if any FTers were diverted to ANC let us know.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:04 am

CXLs for 3/12 starting to go through

AA170 just cancelled. Presumably the rest of AA's NRT schedule is cancelled tomorrow as well. AA seems to have held out quite a while.

Cathay cancelled (hours ago) my HKG-NRT flight tomorrow so I'm staying far out of the way of those needing disaster relief (and travel relief) and going Cathay HKG-LAX on Sunday.

Good luck to everyone getting to where they need to be and thoughts with those affected.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:21 am

All Japan bound AA flights are cancelled
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by sdix
All Japan bound AA flights are cancelled
Yep... and AA is not allowing "trip in vain" for those of us who already have started our journeys because it's international and not domestic. They were unwilling to give me much flexibility on my multi-leg trip so I basically had to cancel it and they did a re-fare to get me home. I lost the majority of the value on my 8 segment ticket (of which I had only used 2 segments, both normally cheap domestic segments).
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep... and AA is not allowing "trip in vain" for those of us who already have started our journeys because it's international and not domestic. They were unwilling to give me much flexibility on my multi-leg trip so I basically had to cancel it and they did a re-fare to get me home. I lost the majority of the value on my 8 segment ticket (of which I had only used 2 segments, both normally cheap domestic segments).
Wow -- so no flts to anywhere else in Asia?!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:47 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Report from the battlefield at HND

From a Fellow FTer via email

Against the advice of one of the JL agents, we moved from the international terminal to the domestic. When we got here, we found lots of good empty cardboard boxes, fresh blankets and boxes of "Emergency Food." See, they're distributing this in the domestic terminal, not the international. They're trying to save their own first!

We've set up camp in front of the rental car counters. Corrugated cardboard foundation topped with a layer of blankets. We're drinking beer and eating bread out of a can. "Bread for Preservation" is what the can says; I'm wondering if they meant "Bred for Preservation."

We also each got three cans -- a green one, a brown one and a purple one -- with four paragraphs of Japanese characters written on them. "Emergency Food" is the only English translation. I don't even see the Japanese people eating whatever's in these cans.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Mar 11, 2011 at 10:00 am
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by mnmag
Wow -- so no flts to anywhere else in Asia?!
Nope... and they were unwilling to send me home either without re-faring the ticket for today's "one-way" fare.

Natural disasters are definitely out of AA's control - but screwing over an many year's EXP 3MM? That does NOT sit well with me and I plan to be pretty vocal about their handling of this if it doesn't get fixed once they can get their own policies sorted out.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope... and they were unwilling to send me home either without re-faring the ticket for today's "one-way" fare.

Natural disasters are definitely out of AA's control - but screwing over an many year's EXP 3MM? That does NOT sit well with me and I plan to be pretty vocal about their handling of this if it doesn't get fixed once they can get their own policies sorted out.
Yes, I would think their 'priority' would be to get people out of 'harm's way' and not 'fleece' them in the process, esp. when you are given 0 options!

Safe travels, techgirll!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Cheers.
Thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
AA has issued a Japan waiver

Here's the info:

Japan Travel Policy
Due to the earthquake that has impacted Japan, American Airlines will offer its customers the convenience to change their travel plans as listed below.

If you are traveling to/from/through: Tokyo, Japan Haneda (HND)
Tokyo, Japan Narita (NRT)
On the following dates: March 11-14, 2011
And your ticket was issued no later than: March 11, 2011
You may begin travel as late as: March 18, 2011
Original inventory required? No

The ticket reissue charge will be waived for one ticket change.

To change travel dates or for questions regarding refunds or destination changes, contact our Reservations personnel at 1-800-433-7300 within the United States or Canada. If you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, please check our Worldwide Reservations Numbers page.
I noticed they have opened this up a little. You can now rebook travel starting as late as the 18th and are willing to rebook you for travel starting as late as the 25th. I really think they need to open this up a little more though. Japan is going to have aftershocks for weeks and the state department is recommending to avoid traveling to Japan for the rest of the month.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Luckily both NRT and HND are far from the epicenter that there’s not much damage to those airports. Of course that doesn’t mean they’re going to start opening up flights anytime soon.

The worst damage was at SDJ (Sendai Airport) which is the closest airport to the epicenter. The tarmac was completely swept away by the wave of tsunami that hit it as seen in this horrific video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d28_1299830727

Telegraph photo of SDJ / Sendai

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 11, 2011 at 11:08 am
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:23 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kebosabi

The worst damage was at SDJ (Sendai Airport) which is the closest airport to the epicenter. The tarmac was completely swept away by the wave of tsunami that hit it as seen in this horrific video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d28_1299830727
Yikes! I flew from NRT to SDI a few years ago. It was definitely drier then.

Cheers.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Luckily both NRT and HND are far from the epicenter that there’s not much damage to those airports. Of course that doesn’t mean they’re going to start opening up flights anytime soon.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...0_1846677i.jpg
Telegraph photo of SDJ / Sendai
What did they do with all the planes? Did they just fly them all away? How did they do that if the runways were wet?

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 11, 2011 at 12:10 pm Reason: removed [img] tags for easier readability

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.