BBVA Former Guaranty Miles Checking Devaluation

Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down BBVA Former Guaranty Miles Checking Devaluation

I just received a notice today from BBVA Compass that the AA miles accounts are going from 1 mile per $10 per month to 1 mile per $18 per month.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:10 pm

Wow. It's almost like they're in cahoots with BankDirect or something (still a rumor over there).

So was there a notice in your statement? Is there a date on which this becomes effective?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

It was a letter, not an insert in the statement. The date is March 25. I live in Birmingham, so I suspect I got it before the rest of the FTers because I am closer to where it was mailed from, but you should all be expecting it.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
They also sent out a letter that unless you have a third party direct deposit to your account of $300.00 or more or a minimum balance of $1500.00 at all times, you will be charged $8.95 for your "Lifetime Totally Free Checking"
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
They also sent out a letter that unless you have a third party direct deposit to your account of $300.00 or more or a minimum balance of $1500.00 at all times, you will be charged $8.95 for your "Lifetime Totally Free Checking"
Definitely not cool, but if you're in it for the miles, you've very likely got more than $1500 in there, so it probably doesn't affect many on FT.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage
No bueno. Was thinking about switching at some point in the future...now I'm not so sure.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by TexasPastor
No bueno. Was thinking about switching at some point in the future...now I'm not so sure.
If you don't have the account already, you can't switch anyway. They closed this offer to new customers about a year ago.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by josephstern
If you don't have the account already, you can't switch anyway. They closed this offer to new customers about a year ago.
Good to know.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
Yep, got mine today. I don't even use BBVA as a checking account, so I'll likely walk all my money over to BankDirect, unless they're cutting their rate also. (Anyone have a link to the thread containing rumors on that?)

Anyone else catch that BBVA asserts they can require 7 days' notice for withdrawals from these accounts??

In BBVA's defense, they've probably been losing money on these accounts for a while now. I don't know what they have to pay AA for the miles, but let's say it's $0.01/mile. In that case, they're paying 1.2% per year to keep these accounts. That's far more than the interest rates on most checking accounts these days.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:38 am

Here's the link:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-checking.html

I totally agree that BBVA and BD are right to cut these - they can't keep losing money on them. I doubt anyone here disagrees. We just like them.

Most of the deals we talk about here are good for us, and not necessarily good for the sponsoring company.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:16 am

I got that in the regular brochure, but in my personalized cover letter, I got:

Account Pricing
The monthly service charge for Build-to-Order Checking will not apply to your account.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I got that in the regular brochure, but in my personalized cover letter, I got:

Account Pricing
The monthly service charge for Build-to-Order Checking will not apply to your account.
I wish I had read the cover letter now. Any idea as to the criteria for that?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:50 am

I wish I had read the cover letter now. Any idea as to the criteria for that?
Do you mean, why I specifically got that term change? I really don't know, but my assumption was that all AA accounts get this, when converted to this new account type.

But the devaluation is, for me, a much larger issue.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
But the devaluation is, for me, a much larger issue.
I would think that would be the case for most people really concerned about the new, 45% lesser miles earnings rate. People that are not maintaining the newly-required minimum or average balances in order to avoid fees simply aren't earning that many miles, either under the old or new rules.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Wow..this is really bad news. This mixed with the Bank Direct limitations makes these things more difficult.

Oh well....it was nice while it lasted. I figured they would limit/eliminate this program sooner or later...Bank Direct will probably follow suit soon and devalue the miles as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.