Search

do flights ever get undelayed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:53 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
do flights ever get undelayed?

I just got a text that AA 17 JFK SFO is delayed 1 hour.

Is it safe for me to go to the airport 1 hour later than I had originally planned? Like leave Penn station at 6 instead of 5?

Or is there a chance it may get unrelated or depart early?

I'd rather keep shopping
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:58 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once the delay is posted, it will not be reversed.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:01 pm

It is rare that flights get undelayed, but it does happen. Also, if you don't check-in within the original required time-frame you can be considered a no-show and bumped.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Is that a policy of AA?

I'm asking because I am not a frequent AA flyer. On UA and DL I have experienced a number of occasions where a delay was posted and the flight was able to depart much earlier than the posted delay.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
I had a flight (DFW->CZM) un-canceled once. We'd checked in and were milling around the airport when we got the cancellation status update. Went back to the check-in desk to reschedule and as the GA was trying to find us something else the flight popped up on his screen as un-canceled. He did say it was the first time he'd ever seen that happen.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
On occasion flights can get get moved back to the original departing time. Therefore, you are required to check in at the original cut off times.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
Originally Posted by HNL
Generally, yes.

However, at the end of last year, I was flying back home (origin-DFW-SFO). DFW-SFO had a two-hour delay posted, and as I was settling in to work, there was a rushed announcement that "The doors are closing for Flight XYZ to San Francisco, please board immediately." About 15 people ran to the gate to find out the flight had almost pushed back without all the AC members. As a reward for our loyalty (and AC membership dues), the GA was collecting luggage for gate-check because everybody else was on the plane.

Only time that I have ever seen a delayed flight board/depart early.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
In my experience a delay is not fixed in stone. Delay due to equipment problems can go away when the problem is unexpectedly fixed more quickly.

If you can find out from an AA agent what the cause of the dealy is you may have a firmer basis for action. For example at DFW if your aircraft incoming from Houston has not left IAH yet then you can be confident it will not suddenly appear.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
It does happen on occasion.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:25 pm

Yes. I was at STL once connecting on a flight to LGA, which was delayed 45 mins due to winds at LGA. I waited 15 mins, then went to look for a place where I could get a frozen yogurt. When I got back 5 mins later, they were already on general boarding!
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I have missed a flight once because it was showing as delayed, the gate agent said it was going to be delayed because of crew reasons, I went to the bar and came back at the 'new' boarding time and they'd already pushed back. I think the crew had come in earlier than they'd accounted for, and although there was a delay, it was a 10 minute delay rather than an hour that they'd planned for. Unfortunately no gate announcements in the bar......
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Happened to me on an MSP-ORD flight a couple years ago. Flight was delayed and gate agent told us to go have dinner and come back in a couple hours. I went to grab dinner, an hour later I got back only to find out flight had departed early.

She said she tried calling me but only had my home number in my AA profile. Spent one extra night in MSP at AA's expense - no biggie.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Had a flight out of SNA 2 weeks ago that had a problem with a thrust reverser and showed a 3.5 hour delay (officially listed). 15 minutes into the delay, as pax were lined up trying to get rebooked, they announced boarding to begin and less than half an hour after that the flight was off the ground. A short delay ensued looking for one final passenger who thought the 3.5 hour delay was still in effect.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by a7800
Is that a policy of AA?

I'm asking because I am not a frequent AA flyer. On UA and DL I have experienced a number of occasions where a delay was posted and the flight was able to depart much earlier than the posted delay.
And I've had that experience on AA. Its not supposed to happen, but it does.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
Gotta disagree with you for once. It's happened to me 2-3 times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.