Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Carib / Mexico business/ domestic First: sparkling wine / bubbly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Does AA serve champagne on Domestic F class (DFW-CLT)?
what about on flights to CUN and Punta Cana from MIA or DFW?

Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:40 pm

They have the little smaller-than-a-split bottle - each with enough to fill 2 x's 2/3's full of the small wine glasses. But it is sporadic and, more often then not, limited to a few bottles.

Last edited by alien; Mar 30, 2010 at 3:48 pm Reason: deleted sarcasm
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Definitely yes on DFW-CUN as we did this last year (sparkling wine only, of course )

Cheers.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Champagne? Non. Sparkling wine? Much more likely.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Emerald Club
They do have some cheap-esque champagne but chances are extremely high they will run out. I've been told by several FAs they only stock 3 of those little bottles on most domestic flights. Some FAs say they've written to management about it several times but nothing has been done. A few weeks ago on a DFW-SFO flight the FA was so apologetic they ran out of champagne that he gave me and my friend each a bottle of chardonnay to go .
Old Mar 30, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Are you looking to celebrate something or do you just really like champagne?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:21 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I seem recall managing to scare up a mimosa on CUR-MIA last year.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
I seem recall managing to scare up a mimosa on CUR-MIA last year.
yep, that's pretty much all it's good for. then again a little sparkle is better than none...
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by JDiver
Champagne? Non. Sparkling wine? Much more likely.
I concur. While flying MIA-CUN and CUN-DFW in the past 2 weeks, I can attest to the posts listed above: all accurate.

The "Champagne" served onboard is certainly no Tattinger, Dom Perignon, or Krug. On the CUN flights, the Sparkling Wine seems to be consumed fast, but getting a Mimosa will stretch out the "Champagne" further.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, BAEC GGL, CCR, Marriott AMB
If you ask for Champagne they give you Sparking wine which is 'Methode Champenoise' - basically American White Sparkling wine which has been produced using the champagne process. Horrible stuff IMO! I've been spoilt with the Krug on CX F.

Even on TATL AA only serve Pommery (real French champagne, but certainly not the best). AA, please bring back the Perrier Jouet you used to serve in the old days!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:54 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by aSWUplz
If you ask for Champagne they give you Sparking wine which is 'Methode Champenoise' !
And, yet, when I've asked for "sparkling wine" a few times, I was asked if I wanted "sparkling water." So, I just ask for champagne to avoid confusion

Cheers.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Originally Posted by DFW25FLY
They do have some cheap-esque champagne but chances are extremely high they will run out. I've been told by several FAs they only stock 3 of those little bottles on most domestic flights.
I've been told the same - 3 bottles per flight - on an MD80 midcon.

Originally Posted by DFW25FLY
Some FAs say they've written to management about it several times but nothing has been done.
The Y wine situation is especially embarrassing on flights to/from CDG. You'd think that going to France, AA would at least not keep their bottles of red in the fridge. I've often used body warmth to get the bottle back to a decent temperature before opening.

Finally, I don't know if I'd rather pay for AA's selection or get a free bottle of even worse DL swill across the pond. Of course, the argument is completely moot in J.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
DFW-CUN in March, "champagne"/water/juice offered as PDB. (1:00 pm flight)

Return flight CUN-DFW had possibly the worst food I have ever seen/smelled on an airplane: A bologna (perhaps salami?) sandwich with a bowl of cabbage-based soup -or- a salt-flavored chicken breast that oozed yellow oil (and yet it was strangely dry ) served with a 'salad' that consisted of hearts of palm drowned in mayonnaise on a leaf of iceberg lettuce. Packs of snack mix instead of nuts.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by brp
So, I just ask for champagne to avoid confusion
+1

I was flying LAX-LAS and told the F Flight Attendant I wanted "sparkling wine". I seemed to have baffled the FA. She said that they didn't have "sparkling wine" but instead had "champagne". When I was handed the mini bottle of sparkling wine, I simply told the FA thank you.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by janetdoe
DFW-CUN in March, "champagne"/water/juice offered as PDB. (1:00 pm flight)

Return flight CUN-DFW had possibly the worst food I have ever seen/smelled on an airplane: A bologna (perhaps salami?) sandwich with a bowl of cabbage-based soup -or- a salt-flavored chicken breast that oozed yellow oil (and yet it was strangely dry ) served with a 'salad' that consisted of hearts of palm drowned in mayonnaise on a leaf of iceberg lettuce. Packs of snack mix instead of nuts.
Not to hijack this thread, but I experienced exactly the same food offerings 2 weeks ago. The sandwich was billed as Salami [with "vegetable" soup], but the FA said the chicken breast came with "potato salad" [obviously it was what you described]. I opted for the chicken breast which was almost impossible to cut with the butter knife that accompanied the meal, and the dry, salty chicken breast required me to guzzle my drink to wash it down. The flan that came with the meal was utterly gross.

AA should tell its CUN-based caterer to supply something edible on this route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.