Anybody out there who was TOP before EXP?

Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Question Anybody out there who was TOP before EXP?

Before EXP existed I was TOP. I never actually understood what TOP was because nobody ever sent me anything, they just treated me as though I were something special (I suspect I'm really special only to me, and maybe my spouse) so I liked it. When EXP came out there it all because public and publicized.

So, when did TOP begin and what was it really? I should know since I was one, but I do not.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:58 am

Do you know what the letters stood for to give us a clue?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
What years were you TOP and if you did not receive anything tangible, how did you know you were included?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
I was TOP Platinum also. The program, from what I remember, was a year or 2before the introduction of the EXP level and AA comped me on some upgrades. Also " Special Services" meet me prior to and after flights. Somewhat like the CK program now.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by cordata
Do you know what the letters stood for to give us a clue?
I seem to remember reading something about an unpublished "Top Platinum" tier, before EXP came out.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
That is as I remember it. Actually I found out I was in it when I started being met by Special Services and getting upgrades I had not requested. I noticed a boarding pass had TOP on it, asked the Special Services person what it was, and she said "that's why I'm here, You're one of our TOP few customers, so the program is named TOP". A short ime later, maybe a year, EXP came out and a package arrived and TOP was no more.

I don't remember exactly when it was, maybe The AAdmiral does.

There is nothing about it I can find in AA history, but I'm probably looking in the wrong places.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I had a colleague who was a TOP around 1997-1998. I became an EXP in 2001 and the TOP program I know predates 2000.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I try not to be one of the "DO a SEARCH" kinda Flyertalkers, but a search of the term "top platinum" results in many threads mentioning the predecessor to EXP.

Hint: When searching for something very old, search the threads in ascending order, not descending order.

Here's one of the best, including an explanation by EL in post #8:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lt-vs-exp.html

Everyone: Do the moderators a favor and don't post new replies to old threads. Searching for old threads is really for finding information, not for appending your current thoughts to 10 year old threads.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 3:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For the OP's and others' edification...

Thanks for the good Searching and suggestions, FWAAA! Here's the post referred to - since the old thread is definitely in the RIP mode, we'll post it here, after another relevant and interesting post with historical perspective for us:

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Execellent question!

As I understand it, Top Plt was he first name that was used when the program was rolled out in 1994 and was "secret and by invitation only." Then when definitive qualifications were set in 1997 (I believe) the name was chnaged to Exec Plat."

I also believe there is a VIP designation attached to some EXPs. I have seen on some of the F/A paperwork EP and then EP VIP
-and-

Originally Posted by EL
Above info is correct that Top Platinum was the "secret" top level and was converted to Executive Platinum in Jan/Feb 97 (before this time boarding passes and flight manifests had "TOP" designation instead of "EXP"/"EP"). The phone number was the same as that used for EXP currently (but answered instantly, no voice prompts or recordings). The only official benefit of the TOP program was access to what is now the Raleigh EXP desk (which is why many of those agents are so much better than other locations), which was actually closed at night (you'd bounce to a normal reservation office if calling late). At its largest, the TOP program only had something like 3000-5000 members. There were NO VIP2 certificates or any other official perks or benefits that came with TOP membership, and upgrades cleared at 72 hours like any PLT member (in fact, there was no official differentiation from PLT other than the desk access...same card, same waitlist priority, etc.). I was told that qualification was based on assessment of revenue generated, market you lived in, and status in your corporation.

There were valuable unofficial benefits:
- Ability to obtain award seats on basically any flights
- Waiver of change fees and most other ticketing restrictions
- Ability to upgrade, 24 hours prior to flight, pax NOT travelling with you using stickers
- Ability to upgrade unlimited number of companions travelling with you using stickers
- Meet and greet service by special services on many flights

The VIP designation was attached to many or maybe all early TOP members. According to flipside, it's apparently on other accounts too, but I was told that it is "very difficult" to earn this designation. An obnoxious "****** VERY IMPORTANT PASSENGER ******" pops up on top of every screen when an agent pulls up any of my records at the airport, sometimes they seem to take notice of this and sometimes not. In flight, FAs have absolutely no idea and no interest in anything on the manifest.

2 Many Miles: Everyone I know at AA STILL denies there is another "secret" Dallas desk serving top corporate customers, and they claim a new invite-only desk is still in planning stages....I am feeling very unloved by them.

PLEASE do not, just as FWAAA asks, post in the old thread! /Moderator
Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:58 pm
Suspended

At various points I noticed VIP on the manifest next to my name and also was TOP prior to EXP. The most tangible benefits I remember were always being met with a sign and a dedicated buggy at T3 in LHR. Also quite frequently I was taken by a van airside for my connection to BA in T4 and several times I was actually met at the bottom of the stairs at T4 and taken by van airside over to T3 for my AA transfer. I always thought LHR was great and found all the complaints hard to understand.

I do remember a couple times upgrading more than one companion but it wasn't a benefit I was even aware of and I don't recall AA every sending me anything about the status or benefits.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I do not belive that I was ever referred to as TOP. But, when I was one of the most frequent flyers on all of AA (1986?) I did have the:

******VIP FLYER *************** VIP FLYER *****************

designation on my record. But I don't know that I ever got anything for it.

But you need to remember that things were different back then. Even BEFORE I earned Platinum (the highest official level in the program in 1984), I got upgraded on almost every flight from LAX. Why? Because an AA employee (as part of her job) noticed that I was there a few times a week and she would personally greet me, personally walk onto the DC-10 with me, and point me to an available seat in First Class without any stickers.

There were other perks. One time I went to the Beverly Hills ticket office. The clerk said "you are one of the best customers in this office. Would you and your wife like to go to Dallas and play golf next weekend with other frequent flyers and AA executives? We get to nominate one person."
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Built in op-ups! Impressive! That went with the DC-10 and things like inscribed wine bottle stoppers for MM members. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by sbrower
I do not belive that I was ever referred to as TOP. But, when I was one of the most frequent flyers on all of AA (1986?) I did have the:

******VIP FLYER *************** VIP FLYER *****************

designation on my record. But I don't know that I ever got anything for it.

But you need to remember that things were different back then. Even BEFORE I earned Platinum (the highest official level in the program in 1984), I got upgraded on almost every flight from LAX. Why? Because an AA employee (as part of her job) noticed that I was there a few times a week and she would personally greet me, personally walk onto the DC-10 with me, and point me to an available seat in First Class without any stickers.

There were other perks. One time I went to the Beverly Hills ticket office. The clerk said "you are one of the best customers in this office. Would you and your wife like to go to Dallas and play golf next weekend with other frequent flyers and AA executives? We get to nominate one person."
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks FWAAA! You'd think, since I find obscure things for a living, that I'd know enough to refine my search. Your tips are very helpful. The thread you gave explained it all for me.

In 1995 I bought AAirpasses for nearly all my company, about 50 of them or so. At the time I was flying mostly my own plane, but bought jet fuel at AA-owned FBO's so got points for the purchases. I noticed the TOP about then. Suddenly the entire thing makes sense.

Interesting how things have changed in the last 15 years.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I was TOP in 1996 and was invited to join EXP in 1997. I know that VIP predated 1996 but I didn't realize that TOP may have also.

As the name implies, I was told that TOP was a group of the "top" (less than 1%) of the fliers in each of AA's then major cities (DFW and ORD for sure, and I think NYC and LAX). I never received any formal documentation of the program but I did receive great, personal service.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
I was TOP in 1996 and was invited to join EXP in 1997. I know that VIP predated 1996 but I didn't realize that TOP may have also.

As the name implies, I was told that TOP was a group of the "top" (less than 1%) of the fliers in each of AA's then major cities (DFW and ORD for sure, and I think NYC and LAX). I never received any formal documentation of the program but I did receive great, personal service.
I was waiting for you to chime in, since I was pretty certain that you would have been in the group.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.