Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAirways Merger Rumors Resurfacing...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by zman
Can u name a few assets that U.S. has that anyone would be interested in getting from Bankrupcy?

It is not planes, people, mechanica, repair contracts, executives, managers, airport space, gates, FF program.
Maybe a few DCA or LGA slots.
Anything else?
I vote for DCA/LGA slots, and to a lesser extent some gates, and related airport real estate at DCA/LGA and maybe a few other airports. That's about all that comes to my mind at present.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
Yes, but it's a 763 and I'm just commenting that it would be weird to have an international flight departing so close to a domestic hub unless they were linked somehow.
Weird, yes, but I think the AA RDU-LHR flight is just weird to begin with.

and it has been a 777 in the past, didn't know AA had gone back to 763 on the route.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Might be weird, but it is one of the more profitable international flights AA operates...or at least it used to be. I assume it still is since they keep flying it, and continue to tolerate the expense of maintaining an F/A base in RDU.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
Might be weird, but it is one of the more profitable international flights AA operates...or at least it used to be. I assume it still is since they keep flying it, and continue to tolerate the expense of maintaining an F/A base in RDU.
What generates the revenue? Any subsidies involved?

It obviously isn't a money-loser or it would have been yanked a long time ago.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
If AA and US were to merge, I would love to see AA at ISP again. I doubt, however, this will ever happen.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Open Jaw
If AA and US were to merge, I would love to see AA at ISP again. I doubt, however, this will ever happen.
I Doubt it. With EWR, JFK, LGA, and HPN they got plenty. You might see a flight to ORD, like at HPN, but its probably not worth the cost of operations for AA.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by 6P&E
Weird, yes, but I think the AA RDU-LHR flight is just weird to begin with.
The only reason it really exists is because Glaxo Smith Kline fills the premium cabin with their employees, AFAIK.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA CK/EXP/1MM, UA Conscientious Objector, Hyatt CC, SPG Plat, HH Diamond VIP
Originally Posted by salut0
The only reason it really exists is because Glaxo Smith Kline fills the premium cabin with their employees, AFAIK.
AA Also has a key Reservations/CS operation at RDU (especially since shuttering BDL) -- and I imagine some of those personnel commute as well.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
From LHR?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA CK/EXP/1MM, UA Conscientious Objector, Hyatt CC, SPG Plat, HH Diamond VIP
LOL

No, my point was simply that there are multiple reasons why RDU has remained relevant -- and as for the LHR route, this is related because a the number of pax connecting through RDU is probably greater (indeed disproportionate to its significance otherwise) due to its importance to AA.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by Travailen
LOL

No, my point was simply that there are multiple reasons why RDU has remained relevant -- and as for the LHR route, this is related because a the number of pax connecting through RDU is probably greater (indeed disproportionate to its significance otherwise) due to its importance to AA.
I doubt RDU-LHR has many connecting pax. Why would they choose that flight if connecting when there are so many others with high frequency from ORD,DFW,JFK,MIA? Is there a single AA destination from RDU inaccessible from any of these other hubs?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by salut0
I doubt RDU-LHR has many connecting pax. Why would they choose that flight if connecting when there are so many others with high frequency from ORD,DFW,JFK,MIA? Is there a single AA destination from RDU inaccessible from any of these other hubs?
Besides whether there are any at all, the other question might be when those flights are. When I have two connecting airports to choose from, among the factors I consider is how efficient that connection is. From some small markets, meanwhile, there might be flights to more than one connection city, but perhaps only one or two flights a day to each, and so one connection city might be much better timed for a flight to/from LHR than another.

(Having said that, I don't know the answer to my quesiton any more than the answer to your question, specfically about RDU!)
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
I remember searching for AUS-LHR itineraries and being offered AUS-RDU-LHR back when we had AUS-RDU nonstop. I doubt I'd be offered it now...

Hmm. I am. Via ORD. How curious.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
I remember searching for AUS-LHR itineraries and being offered AUS-RDU-LHR back when we had AUS-RDU nonstop. I doubt I'd be offered it now...
I did it once - LHR-RDU Business Class on a 777 - RDU-AUS with my legs folded up in an RJ. For some reason I swear I'd never do it again....
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:15 am

Hmm. I am. Via ORD. How curious.
Give a guy a break... Jeez!

I was just trying to offer an explanation. Evidently it was a poor one. I do know that as recently as 6 weeks ago, I was offered routing through RDU on a return to ORD from LHR -- their was a non-stop, but it was not the lowest available. I took the non-stop (I also avoid 763s if I can because I prefer 3-class), but it was their. Obviously, they are still flying the route, and they are doing for a reason. You tell me the reason, cause I got nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.