Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA In Canada - Speculate Please

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
AA In Canada - Speculate Please

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are to AA expanding to various Canadian cities. I'm a US Preferred flyer and previously, there were great options to most places in Canada through Air Canada with Star Alliance. Now, there are no Canadian airlines in OneWorld. The only option is WestJet, but from my understanding, you can't earn miles with them when booked through West Jet (and they don't fly to my home airport of PHL anyway).

So, does anyone have any insight on what AA may do with Canada? For me personally, I'd love for them to expand to the cities they aren't already in such as Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Charlottetown, Moncton, Victoria, St. John's, Kelowna, Thunder Bay, etc.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are to AA expanding to various Canadian cities. I'm a US Preferred flyer and previously, there were great options to most places in Canada through Air Canada with Star Alliance. Now, there are no Canadian airlines in OneWorld. The only option is WestJet, but from my understanding, you can't earn miles with them when booked through West Jet (and they don't fly to my home airport of PHL anyway).

So, does anyone have any insight on what AA may do with Canada? For me personally, I'd love for them to expand to the cities they aren't already in such as Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Charlottetown, Moncton, Victoria, St. John's, Kelowna, Thunder Bay, etc.
My guess is they aren't going to do much in any of these markets other than the occasional Ealge RJ from a hub here and there. Winnipeg is probably your best bet but I imagine the rest are markets AA is willing to let UA/AC have.

Just like I said in the Pacific Northwest thread, AA has bigger problems to solve at the moment which are more pressing that trying to serve tons of secondary markets which it has little brand recognition in or demand for.

If anything, as operations are merged I would look for AA to being drawing down some routes and parking some aircraft in order to reduce capacity. This has been the case in all of the prior mergers and will likely happen here as well.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
AA is the largest U.S. airline in Canada, but I don't see any new destinations except maybe Winnipeg. I could also see YVR-PHL and YVR/YYC/YQB/YOW-MIA as possibilities.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
AS serves Kelowna and Victoria, so you can earn AA miles and EQMs as well as checked bag fee waivers. I don't know if AA code shares to those cities, but that doesn't matter much anyway in most cases.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I would tend to believe that AA will depend upon AS codeshares. Maybe, with BOS being much bigger now AA will do some eastern Canadian routes on Eagle into BOS for connections going south. But I would not count on it.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
As noted, AA is the foreign airline with the most flights operating into Canada. At YYZ it is the #3 airline after AC and WS. And that was before the merger with US. AA flies to Waterloo and Edmonton. Of the remaining cities not served, YWG is the most likely to have a large enough market to appeal to AA. Agree the NW is a big hole, but AS and AA will get closer now the DL is becoming more aggressive in SEA, and AS flies into some smaller western Canadian cities. As well, code shares with WS and its new regional carrier should eventually handle any of these missing markets. But I don't foresee many new AA flights up here.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
If only the AA-WS partnership was like the AA-AS partnership... (primarily for earning EQMs)...or even a partnership where one could earn EQMs on a WS flight so long as that WS flight did not touch the US...
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
AA's Canadian network works great for me, because they have tons of YYZ service and are the only ones who run scheduled transborder from YKF.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I would tend to believe that AA will depend upon AS codeshares. Maybe, with BOS being much bigger now AA will do some eastern Canadian routes on Eagle into BOS for connections going south. But I would not count on it.
AA had BOS to YYZ and YUL for some time on Eagle. Its possible, but I see infill to certain hub markets first. Given that UA is doing YXU-EWR to go along with YXU-ORD, I'd think AA might consider YKF-JFK at some point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.