Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

PLEASE NOTE: Please use this thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. Attacks on individuals or groups - members with differing opinions, pre-merger AA or US flyers, lifetime status holders, mileage runners, etc. WILL NOT BE TOLERATED;posts containing such will be subject to summary deletion (moderators may do so rather than merely redact inappropriate or disruptive content), and members posting such repeatedly may be subject to sanctions defined in the Rules / TOS.

This thread has been dedicated for "REACTION and DISCUSSION" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio in the "JUST THE FACTS" parallel thread, allowing members to find germane information about the announced AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles) program there.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.
Print Wikipost

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Old Dec 29, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
IIRC UA and CO had a period of time measured in months before the programs were merged where you could associate/link your accounts in each (they have no way of knowing this definitively otherwise), transfer miles back and forth, and do other things to familiarize the merger. Assuming AA/US will do something similar in advance of even a June 30 merger I would think that would need to start sometime in the next month or two.
AA has specifically announced that they are not doing anything similar. When the programs merge, all US miles will become AA miles; that is the one and only time miles will transfer between programs. (Presumably there will also be some mechanism to fix mistakes and combine accounts that didn't get linked before the program merger as well.)
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by cmd320
The future for major US airlines' patrons is worse products, fewer rewards, higher prices, and lower customer satisfaction. We are now in the age of the mega-carrier, which has zero interest in the customer.
Would it surprise you to show that Delta's customer satisfaction numbers are up since 2011?

Also, the years in this survery where customer satisfaction was at a nadir were 2001 and 2008, bad years in the economy and the industry.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Would it surprise you to show that Delta's customer satisfaction numbers are up since 2011?

Also, the years in this survery where customer satisfaction was at a nadir were 2001 and 2008, bad years in the economy and the industry.
Not really. There are just too many other factors at play here. Also, I would love to see similar data with economy travelers removed showing only customer satisfaction of domestic premium cabins. That would be quite interesting.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

That's one way to look at it, I guess. The other (from the exact same data source, mind you) is that customer satisfaction with airlines is abysmally low, losing to the post office and phone companies while just barely managing to beat out the IRS and cable companies.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by martin33

Nope. Just look at the last major frequent flier suit ruling-- basically the verdict was that the federal airline law (the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978) trumps/pre-empts all of the usual state consumer and contract law duties regarding good faith dealing etc.

Dividend Miles has always been pretty ruthless in quick implementation of adverse changes anyway--- just recall the Baldanza-era try at removing status credit for all discount tickets, for instance.

That said, it's certainly distressing to see the latest sets of AAdvantage changes bypass prior longstanding practice of multi-month advance notice.

That is not exactly what that ruling says. It said he may have had a good case if he appealed a different point, but since he didn't they can't consider that aspect "in the instant case" [they didn't use that phrasing in this particular instance but I have seen them use it like that quite a lot, so...]

They also said that they had recourse in filing a complaint to the DOT:

"Federal law also provides protection for frequent flyer program participants. Congress has given the Depart.ment of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation and in the sale of air transportation, 49 U. S. C. §41712(a), and Congress has specifically author.ized the DOT to investigate complaints relating to fre.quent flyer programs. See FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, §408(6), 126 Stat. 87. Pursuant to these provisions, the DOT regularly entertains and acts on such complaints.3

"We note, finally, that respondent’s claim of ill treatment by Northwest might have been vindicated if he had pur.sued his breach-of-contract claim after its dismissal by the District Court. Respondent argues that, contrary to the holding of the District Court, the frequent flyer agreement did not actually give Northwest unfettered discretion to terminate his membership in the program, see Brief for Respondent 20–21, and the United States makes a related argument, namely, that even if the agreement gave Northwest complete discretion with respect to a determi.nation regarding abuse of the program, the agreement did not necessarily bar a claim asserting that membership was ended for an ulterior reason, such as an effort to cut costs. If respondent had appealed the dismissal of his breach-of-contract claim, he could have presented these arguments to the Court of Appeals, but he chose not to press that claim. He voluntarily dismissed the breach-of. contract claim and instead appealed only the breach of implied covenant claim, which we hold to be pre-empted."
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:01 pm
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
As AA has not specified the exact time frame (Q2 when) in which the 2 FFP will merge, is there any recourse in which US Gold members may ask for the additionally 50% bonus miles excepted when the 2 programs merge?

We have some BA flights planned for April. I'm not holding my breath on actually having the 2 FFP merge by the first month of Q2.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by richh1833
As AA has not specified the exact time frame (Q2 when) in which the 2 FFP will merge, is there any recourse in which US Gold members may ask for the additionally 50% bonus miles excepted when the 2 programs merge?

We have some BA flights planned for April. I'm not holding my breath on actually having the 2 FFP merge by the first month of Q2.
I'm guessing if the FFP merger has not completed by the time you fly, you'll earn the 50% bonus miles. And that once the FFP consolidation occurs, no exceptions will be granted and you'll earn in accordance with your AAdvantage status and bonus miles norms. (AA already has a working alternative to give all of us in the pointy end a boost toward status via the EQP route.)

If they do anything other than this, they'll be overwhelmed by people requesting exceptions.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 9, 2015 at 9:43 am Reason: Update
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it looks like the same day confirmed flight changes (free for executive platinum members) is now active. I saw it on the website, and the EXP desk confirmed this for me. This is a nice benefit to have.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lagunas2k
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it looks like the same day confirmed flight changes (free for executive platinum members) is now active. I saw it on the website, and the EXP desk confirmed this for me. This is a nice benefit to have.
It's been active since Jan 1, was mostly discussed in the pre-merger AA forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post24109363

Last edited by JonNYC; Feb 8, 2015 at 7:29 pm
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JonNYC
It's been active since Jan 1, was mostly discussed in the pre-merger AA forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post24109363
Yep. Until it's effectively available to all of us (when the FFPs merge, unless USdbaAA announces it earlier) that's the best place for that discussion. Nice addition, I have to say!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by lagunas2k
To be clear... this is on AA flights. On US flights, you can only move up to an earlier flight, not back to a later flight.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...ds/MoveUp.html
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage ExecPlat, Former DL Skymiles Diamond (MM), Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by veliger
I just cant believe they retroactively screwed the US Platinum's. Dougie must really hate US Platinum's to wait until late October to tell them all their extra flying was worthless. Earn most of the year assuming a benefit for 2015 and then find out it will only last a few months into 2015. Talk about bait and switch. I was going for US Platinum assuming there was no way they could take the level away for next year this late in 2014, wow was I wrong. Thankfully I haven't gotten too close and there is still time to at least only drop to Silver on Delta.

I also really cant believe they went with the anachronistic AA program that is stuck in a 1980's time warp. Stickers?!? Really! US implemented unlimited upgrades a decade or more ago and everyone else has since. AA is clinging to stickers and living in the past.
Stickers are a heck of a lot better than what Delta's doing now. I left them after their recent changes and was thrilled at AA's program. I earn stickers, I use them, and get an upgrade about 80% of the time I request it as a Platinum. On Delta last year, as a Diamond (125k), I got 3 upgrades ALL YEAR. THREE!

So, yeah, I'll take this. Hopefully it's beneficial for AA also so they don't feel tempted to follow Delta and UAL in their ever faster race to the bottom.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.