Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by gemini573
Cautiously optimistic. With the segments going up to 120, I think it's just a matter of time, the miles to re qualify will go up to 120k for EXP.
Doubt it. United has been at 100k PQM / 120 PQS since their programs merged.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat 100, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by tt120
As a US Platinum flyer with 95 segments this year , this stinks
I am in the same boat unfortunately, but I'm looking around at what UA and DL have done and I'm pretty happy with what AA has done here. ^
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by umaa83
I'm going to temper my enthusiasm until this time next year. While it's great that there are just minor tweaks to the 2015 product, especially for AA flyers, I'm going to wait to pass judgment until step six "one airline on aa.com" is completed to see if there any "enhancements" announced for 2016. Keep in mind, US elites lost a level, they may not have wanted to irritate everyone at once.
Sometimes not ticking everyone off at once is the best you can hope for in a merger.

There's a good bit of can-kicking here because we're still roughly a year out from the Sabre migration it sounds like, but structurally I'm pretty happy with the compromises. The downgrades are small, and the things I value the most remain.

Personally, coming from both the CO>UA and HP>US conversions to unlimited upgrades (plus the impact of 4 tiers on both), I feared AA going the same route... The 5oo-mile comp tier seems to be a nice balance between the well regulated demand on the long flights, and the empty F cabins on a lot of shorter flights (and lack of amenities on short flights), IMO.

Overall, about as ^ as I could have hoped for personally.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
Ideally, as someone notes, since the earning charts don't look like they've changed at all I'm hoping that AA may take the opportunity to adjust some of the partner Economy earning, in particular Cathay.

I love JFK/YVR on Cathay -- but not spending for an H fare. :/

Delta has entirely devalued Korean Air but still offers some MQM and other miles on the China Airlines (China, China Eastern, China Southern)...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:18 am

New Merged AAdvantage Program

Details for 2015 - https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/A...2015/index.jsp
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
So they ARE combining Elite Segments and Miles. Time to add some spending to my AA card to get 10k EQM
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The 120 EQS hurts the short haul flyer, which is unfortunate for myself. Being Austin based, each trip typically goes through DFW. This adds 2 EQS per trip but only 1000 EQMs. I'll still qualify but it will take longer and will be via miles and not segments. This will drive away some of the short haul flyers over to WN, I think.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Oh snap. Miles still 100 though. Thank goodness. Looks like segments got bumped.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Very pleasantly surprised by four things:
1. SWUs can be used on US metal
2. 50% bonus RDM for paid J
3. Upgrade windows follow pmAA pattern rather than pmUS
4. Retention of stickers

This is probably a first for me, but way to not screw this up Dougie. Please continue to not screw this up ^
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: AS 100K
Even if this is a bit of can kicking, it puts AAdvantage WAY ahead of United and Delta for 2015. Hopefully that has been recognized by leadership and will give AA a competitive edge monetarily as we move through 2015.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
I must say that I am happy about what they are doing so far.

Now at the end of 2015 when they change everything around could be a different story.

What I will say is that with what DL and UA have done with the programs is probably why DP is treading lighting with the frequent flyer program.

We all know that they have gotten a swarm of HFV from UA/DL and don't want to loose that revenue by following suit.

As a new EXP this year and still a 1k at UA I did miss the heyday of the old AA. But the way I have been treated by AA since I did my status challange/match in july is amazing.

I am totally stoked that there is only three levels. It makes the EXP membership more valued in my opinion. They are keeping the benefits of the EXP only for the EXP and not giving them away to lower levels. My biggest beef with UA and the platinum level they started.

Now if they wanted to do a 75k level at AA and just give those people a higher priority (upgrades/standby)over the plats then great. But the ability at UA to not fly as much or spend as much as a 1k and get all the benefits minus GPU'S is abysmal.

I for one applaud AA for there treading lightly and can only hope that they keep that theory as they progress into 2015 and beyond.

The only downside is going to be seeing all the HFV from UA/DL do status match/challenges to increase and as such engorg the pool of HFV's more.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dp4m
Ideally, as someone notes, since the earning charts don't look like they've changed at all I'm hoping that AA may take the opportunity to adjust some of the partner Economy earning, in particular Cathay.

I love JFK/YVR on Cathay -- but not spending for an H fare. :/

Delta has entirely devalued Korean Air but still offers some MQM and other miles on the China Airlines (China, China Eastern, China Southern)...
KE has more fare buckets earning redeemeable miles with DL (Y, W, M, H, E, K, B all at 100%) than CX does into AAdvantage (Y, B, H). KE fares with DL don't earn elite qualifying miles or elite bonues.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
So they ARE combining Elite Segments and Miles. Time to add some spending to my AA card to get 10k EQM
I believe that is in 2015 for the 2016 elite year. See item #4.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AA...5/timeline.jsp
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by riastradh
Looks like segments got bumped.
120 now. I was hoping for 115.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Shangri-La Diamond
How many stickers do DM accounts get after the merger? Are we thinking 4 per 10,000 miles? (90k miles = 27 stickers, that would be nice)

Currently have like 85k miles or so in the DM program for the year and will easily hit CP by the end of the year. However, I'm thinking of crediting the last flights to the AAdvantage account (Intl J on AA 77W so doesn't really matter in terms of elite benefits), drop to plat at YE so I earn the stickers, and then join the accounts and become ExPlat. Would I still accrue the stickers if I were to do this?

Also did anyone note that in addition to the 50% J bonus they are pulling the "deep discount" economy down to 0.5/1 miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.