Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A5RoadDogg
..Edit: It's...it's beautiful...
^ Think so too.

Originally Posted by ONTRandy
It looks like they're keeping the "sticker" upgrades, which I think it great.
Absolutely agree.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Confirmed flight change!!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by keepssmile
+ SWU use on US flights

Overall I'm pretty happy - but then again, I'm not an EXP segment qualifier. Also pleased by the bump in the J cabin bonus.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by keepssmile
And what are the parameters for this?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
I'm going to temper my enthusiasm until this time next year. While it's great that there are just minor tweaks to the 2015 product, especially for AA flyers, I'm going to wait to pass judgment until step six "one airline on aa.com" is completed to see if there any "enhancements" announced for 2016. Keep in mind, US elites lost a level, they may not have wanted to irritate everyone at once.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: AA/US/BA
The links for redeeming and earning miles just sends you to the regular pages right now. That's my only concern -- what happens to award redemption rates when it is one airline.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
And what are the parameters for this?
within 24hr of departure, same calendar day, same o/d, "eligible seat" on new flight
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
This is great news!! Delta and United could lose a lot of customers.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle
As a US Platinum flyer with 95 segments this year , this stinks .....why no 4th tier???

So I should just stop flying AA after 60 segments? Apparently so

Also the sticker program devalues short haul segment earners. I have 95 segments yet less than 60K miles. Not getting many stickers however I have spent over $15K. Something wrong with this picture.

Last edited by tt120; Oct 28, 2014 at 7:08 am
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:02 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Cautiously optimistic. With the segments going up to 120, I think it's just a matter of time, the miles to re qualify will go up to 120k for EXP.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:02 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

A big for me: No Special Dividends after 12/14. My wife loves the free Gold Status and I quite enjoy the free Club membership.

Another question regarding companion upgrades. AA lists "Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades" and a bullet next to ExPlat. However, below it it shows "If you are an AAdvantage Gold or Platinum member, you'll earn four 500-mile upgrades for every 10,000 elite-qualifying miles you fly." So will ExPlats receive 500-mile upgrades just like Gold/Plat? Or can we upgrade companions without limits (at the airport, as available, as current on US)?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
A big for me: No Special Dividends after 12/14. My wife loves the free Gold Status and I quite enjoy the free Club membership.

Another question regarding companion upgrades. AA lists "Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades" and a bullet next to ExPlat. However, below it it shows "If you are an AAdvantage Gold or Platinum member, you'll earn four 500-mile upgrades for every 10,000 elite-qualifying miles you fly." So will ExPlats receive 500-mile upgrades just like Gold/Plat? Or can we upgrade companions without limits (at the airport, as available, as current on US)?
Based on what it *looks* like, I'm guessing it functions how it does for AA now, which is EXPs stop earning 500-mile stickers once they hit EXP and they can burn through theirs to upgrade companions and/or buy more if short?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: AS 100K
Great news! Hoping the US Plats will be placated by the 100% mileage bonus.

Also smart that the sticker system is staying... although the UDUs remain on US metal, so I suppose there's a remote possibility the system could switch over to UDU. My opinion is that this is unlikely, given that SABRE is set up with the sticker system.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
...So will ExPlats receive 500-mile upgrades just like Gold/Plat? Or can we upgrade companions without limits (at the airport, as available, as current on US)?
Nope and nope-- will be current AAdv system as far as I can see. EPs earn none but use none, companions will require use of 500-milers.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by dp4m
Based on what it *looks* like, I'm guessing it functions how it does for AA now, which is EXPs stop earning 500-mile stickers once they hit EXP and they can burn through theirs to upgrade companions and/or buy more if short?
Yup. Basically, if you have a companion as an EXP, you buy their stickers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.