Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What can I do best with (so many / so few) miles? (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite

Hey all,

I'm a United guy, so this sub-forum is a strange and scary place.

My mother and father each have 20,000AA miles, which expire in June 2015. They most likely won't be flying American or OneWorld anytime soon.

What are the options for not letting them go to waste?

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 1, 2015 at 11:25 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Parents have 2 x 20,000AA Points - what to do?

Off peak Europe awards at 20k each way.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Parents have 2 x 20,000AA Points - what to do?

You can either buy 2 one way ticket to some destination, Europe off peak award travel for example, or just 1 roundtrip ticket. You can also search in the AA forum for the thread on how to prevent miles from expiring.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Least expensive way to keep their miles from expiring is for them to sign up for AA Rewards Network (AA iDine program) and buy a drink from one of the iDine restaurants. This will extend their miles by another 18 months.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by arollins
You can either buy 2 one way ticket to some destination, Europe off peak award travel for example, or just 1 roundtrip ticket. You can also search in the AA forum for the thread on how to prevent miles from expiring.
One way off peak awards to/from Europe are especially useful for when booking transatlantic repositioning cruises , because one way tickets can cost as much as round trip ones.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Thanks all, good suggestions.

I forgot to mention that my folks live in the UK.

Looking for Saver Award offers on AA is a definite option. Are there also Saver Awards on [British Airways, AirBerlin, OneWorld] that would be eligible for use of AA miles?

Can those offers be found via the AA website, if not where do you recommend I look?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Motorskills
Looking for Saver Award offers on AA is a definite option. Are there also Saver Awards on [British Airways, AirBerlin, OneWorld] that would be eligible for use of AA miles?
BA redemptions often incur large fuel surcharges. Just compare carefully.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Taking a TATL re-positioning cruise from Europe to Florida, and then using the miles to fly home on AA metal would be a great use, which avoids having to pay the UK APD and the LHR PSC, and also avoids carrier surcharges.

Otherwise, an intra-Europe Economy roundtrip can be had for 20K AA miles/person. Out of the UK, use AY or S7 to avoid surcharges. (AB and HG are also surcharge-free, but neither serves the UK.)
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
They are worth about 400 USD in 'value' You can buy merchandise for about this amount if you/they don't want to travel.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:14 am

What can I do with 50000 miles AA?

Hi guys, can someone give me some idea what can I do with 50000 miles with American airlines? I am new to this airline and its partners across the global.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What would you like to do? Fly internationally? Fly domestically? Redeem for hotels/rental cars?

Have you looked at the AAdvantage flight redemption charts, which can be found at aa.com?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:23 am

Hello I have not looked there. But great question, I am thinking of flying more with international and hotel stays.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's AA's partner award chart:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...rtnerChart.jsp
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum. Once there, we recommend reading the FAQ and the (linked from the FAQ) threads on oneworld and partner awards, and MileSAAver awards. These will give you some idea of how you can use those miles and get more than two standard one way domestic trip awards.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled STOP! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by flybie
Hi guys, can someone give me some idea what can I do with 50000 miles with American airlines? I am new to this airline and its partners across the global.
The easiest two options you have are:

(1) take a domestic round-trip in First Class for 50,000 miles

or

(2) a one-way Business Class ticket to Europe or South America for 50,000 miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.