Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm, AA Gold

Another seasonal market is being added this winter with flights to EGE starting Dec. 15th on a CRJ-700. Looks like it'll operate daily for the first few weeks into January then stay around 2-3x weekly until April.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Josh1780
Another seasonal market is being added this winter with flights to EGE starting Dec. 15th on a CRJ-700. Looks like it'll operate daily for the first few weeks into January then stay around 2-3x weekly until April.

From where to EGE?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
From where to EGE?
Phoenix.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:30 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
And to save you all the trouble of Googling it, EGE is Vail / Eagle County Regional Airport in Colorado.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS Gold 75K and Delta PM, former AA EXP
BOS-SFO

I know this route has been talked about pretty frequently on this thread, but today DL announced it was adding BOS-SFO x2 daily, and I think this warrants discussion here.

Is there room for AA to play on this route? With DL starting (June 2017), UA upgauging to 772's on this route, and with B6 and VX already in the game, can AA step in here? Potential connections to BA, IB, or AA's own seasonal CDG connection in BOS?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by KBOS777
I know this route has been talked about pretty frequently on this thread, but today DL announced it was adding BOS-SFO x2 daily, and I think this warrants discussion here.

Is there room for AA to play on this route? With DL starting (June 2017), UA upgauging to 772's on this route, and with B6 and VX already in the game, can AA step in here? Potential connections to BA, IB, or AA's own seasonal CDG connection in BOS?
I've been wondering whether AA will join the P2P parade that Delta seems to be on lately, especially considering the combined carrier has inherited quite a few from old LUS routes such as the network from PIT and BOS (BOS-MDT, BOS-SYR, etc.). So far they don't seem very interested, but it's possible they are still focusing on integration of fleets, crew and optimization of each hub. Once that is near an end in a couple years perhaps we'll see some other expansion.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite

AA isn't usually in the habit of running random non-hub connections, and the fact that there is so much competition doesn't make me more optimistic...
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

With BA having flights to Europe just gives them another gateway to us.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold

This route has so much competition that it probably isn't worth it for AA to add. AA's route map looked a lot different when it last served this route. DL added this route because it wants to have just enough routes at BOS to keep flyers loyal while not too many because they would rather connect people through ATL, DTW, etc. B6 is a serious threat to DL at BOS.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:29 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DA201
This route has so much competition that it probably isn't worth it for AA to add. AA's route map looked a lot different when it last served this route. DL added this route because it wants to have just enough routes at BOS to keep flyers loyal while not too many because they would rather connect people through ATL, DTW, etc. B6 is a serious threat to DL at BOS.
And B6 isn't a serious threat to AA at BOS?

Both AA and DL used to have this route. AA used to have a mini-hub at BOS. Heck TW used to have a mini-hub at BOS before AA.

AA operations at BOS were a mess for most of July because of East Cost weather. I don't think I have had one round trip on AA this year where every flight was close to on-time. I'd be happy with 15 minutes late and OK with 30 minutes late. But, every round trip I've had on AA this year has had at least one flight over an hour late. AA needs to fix things. I'm not sure that adding another flight that is going to be late is what AA should be doing.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stc

AA operations at BOS were a mess for most of July because of East Cost weather. I don't think I have had one round trip on AA this year where every flight was close to on-time. I'd be happy with 15 minutes late and OK with 30 minutes late. But, every round trip I've had on AA this year has had at least one flight over an hour late. AA needs to fix things. I'm not sure that adding another flight that is going to be late is what AA should be doing.
So how is AA suppose to fix the problem when it's out of their control?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:25 am

What is the benefit of offering connections from SFO to Europe over BOS versus the nonstops and myriad other hub connections already offered? It would not improve connectivity.

Adding a route like SFO-BOS would have to be on the basis of very strong O&D, in the face of very tough existing competition.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:04 am
stc

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
So how is AA suppose to fix the problem when it's out of their control?
If it was out of AA's control, B6 and DL would be suffering the same on time percentages that AA is. Yet AA is at the bottom of the barrel.

Let's see, ideas to fix it:
(More) spare planes in BOS (and elsewhere).
(More) spare crew in BOS (and elsewhere).
Fix the aging fleet.
Redesign routes so that delays do not propagate.
Etc.

I'm sure someone in the airline industry could actually Pareto the data as to what causes delays (and not just the proximate cause but all things that contribute to each delay) and find some low hanging fruit to fix. But I'm just a computer engineer that does this with computer systems and software.

Actually this route would probably help, because rather than needing to fly BOS-(JFK/PHL/etc)-SFO and getting delayed people could fly BOS-SFO directly and avoid the NYC or PHL mess (assuming AA used dedicated planes.)
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by stc
If it was out of AA's control, B6 and DL would be suffering the same on time percentages that AA is. Yet AA is at the bottom of the barrel.

Let's see, ideas to fix it:
(More) spare planes in BOS (and elsewhere).
(More) spare crew in BOS (and elsewhere).
Fix the aging fleet.
Redesign routes so that delays do not propagate.
Etc.

I'm sure someone in the airline industry could actually Pareto the data as to what causes delays (and not just the proximate cause but all things that contribute to each delay) and find some low hanging fruit to fix. But I'm just a computer engineer that does this with computer systems and software.

Actually this route would probably help, because rather than needing to fly BOS-(JFK/PHL/etc)-SFO and getting delayed people could fly BOS-SFO directly and avoid the NYC or PHL mess (assuming AA used dedicated planes.)
While I do not work in operations, I will venture the guess that rolling / unbanked hubs help with delays (delays exacerbated when everything leaves and arrives at the same time) and that is why AA had that for so long before the "merger". For many years despite lagging in the hard / soft product, their ability to deal with IRROPs seemed second to none.

~TG
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by stc
And B6 isn't a serious threat to AA at BOS?

Both AA and DL used to have this route. AA used to have a mini-hub at BOS. Heck TW used to have a mini-hub at BOS before AA.

B6 is not a threat to AA at BOS. AA does not care about BOS like US Airways did. AA has JFK, LGA, DCA, and PHL in the Northeast. BOS is not a priority. Honestly, I would not be surprised if AA dropped BOS-BUF/PIT where they have competition with B6, and seasonal BOS-CDG service with weaker European demand and DL/AF competition (maybe they shift it to LHR because of the BA JV).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.