Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus offer: open jaw vs. Round trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:06 pm
J S
Original Poster

Bonus offer: open jaw vs. Round trip

If AA has a bonus offer based on flying a round trip, will an open jaw qualify?

Specific example: They have a current bonus offer for round trips to Europe in F and J. Will I receive the miles if I fly JFK-CDG and return LHR-EWR (all on one ticket)?

The detailed rules don't seem to shed any light on the matter.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled STOP! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
In past years, what you proposed qualified for the Europe bonus.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by J S
If AA has a bonus offer based on flying a round trip, will an open jaw qualify?

Specific example: They have a current bonus offer for round trips to Europe in F and J. Will I receive the miles if I fly JFK-CDG and return LHR-EWR (all on one ticket)?

The detailed rules don't seem to shed any light on the matter.
Read the specific rules, but there was a bonus this summer that specifically stated in the T&Cs that each one-way would receive half of the bonus (so you could build multi-class or open jaw itineraries).

Without posting what your bonus is and the T&Cs, there's no way any of us could help you.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:57 pm
J S
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Point well taken. Thanks (and apologies).

And thanks to Seawolf for the reply.

J S
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by J S
Point well taken. Thanks (and apologies).

And thanks to Seawolf for the reply.

J S
As I wrote, in past years, it worked but no guarantees it remains the same this year. You're better off emailing to customer service in advance and get something in writing.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Read the specific rules, but there was a bonus this summer that specifically stated in the T&Cs that each one-way would receive half of the bonus (so you could build multi-class or open jaw itineraries).

Without posting what your bonus is and the T&Cs, there's no way any of us could help you.
Presumably its the USF14 bonus

Its clear that one must take roundtrips to earn the bonus:

For every eligible round-trip flight you take during the offer period, you'll earn bonus miles as shown in the table. With several airlines participating in this promotion, you'll have even more opportunities to earn bonus miles.
The rules dont specifically state that open jaw tickets are ineligible, so I think as long as you are on a round trip operated by an eligible carrier, you should be OK.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by bdemaria

The rules dont specifically state that open jaw tickets are ineligible, so I think as long as you are on a round trip operated by an eligible carrier, you should be OK.
Perhaps I'm being dense here, but is this promo basically saying you get 20K bonus miles if you fly 1 time, but 40K EACH if you fly 2 times?

i.e. you get 20K on the first flight, but 60K on the 2nd flight to get you a total of 80K?

Same question on the 3rd flight, says you earn 65K EACH so does flight #3 get you 115K bonus miles (65K x 3 minus 80K already earned).

Doesn't sound right, but that's how I'm reading it
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bdemaria

I thought I read that you would also get it based on a one way, as well. I flew a roundtrip/open jaw Y one direction/J the other. Nothing has posted yet...has anyone else seen their bonus post?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Silver
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Perhaps I'm being dense here, but is this promo basically saying you get 20K bonus miles if you fly 1 time, but 40K EACH if you fly 2 times?

i.e. you get 20K on the first flight, but 60K on the 2nd flight to get you a total of 80K?

Same question on the 3rd flight, says you earn 65K EACH so does flight #3 get you 115K bonus miles (65K x 3 minus 80K already earned).

Doesn't sound right, but that's how I'm reading it
Nope - 1st r/t - 20k bonus, 2nd r/t - 40k bonus, 3rd r/t - 65k bonus. Do 3 and you'll have earned 125k bonus. Perhaps "each individual r/t flight will earn the bonus listed" would have been clearer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.