Need help redeeming AA miles!

Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Need help redeeming AA miles!

Hi all,

I am trying to redeem some miles to travel next May, round trip from Brazil to the US.

According to the AAdvantage Awards chart, travel between Brazil and The US between March 1st and May 31st should be 20,000 miles per person each way. I am traveling with my family (2 adults and two 2-11 kids) which should total 160,000 miles (4x20,000x2).

What I do not understand is that whenever I try to book those, I only get a minimum of 55,000 miles, not the advertised 20,000 miles. Can anybody explain to me or help me on that? I greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by Persio Pucci; Oct 21, 2014 at 11:12 am
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

The 20,000-mile award is for a one-way, Economy MileSAAver award. These awards are capacity controlled. If you are searching for four award seats and you are only seeing AAnytime award redemption options, then there are no AA flights that currently have four SAAver seats available. Try searching for 3, then 2, and then 1 seat to determine if any SAAver seats are available.

Award seats on LAN and TAM cannot be displayed on aa.com, so a call to AA Reservations might be in order.

Do all four of you have to travel together, or can you split up into two groups of two (with one adult and one child in each group)?

And no reward is required.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
It is possible that additional Milesaaver award seats will be released 60 - 90 days prior to departure. Rather than checking daily, consider investing $10 per month in a subscription to expert flyer, set a series of alerts for flights of interest, you will receive an email if/when inventory becomes available.

From personal experience, I would move QUICKLY after receiving an alert, as others may be waiting for the same seats to become available.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Persio Pucci
Can anybody explain to me or help me on that? I greatly appreciate it, and offer a 20,000 miles reward if your help allows me to book those.
Bartering AA miles will get your account shut down if AA find out. Best to only offer/accept free
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Bartering AA miles will get your account shut down if AA find out. Best to only offer/accept free
Thank you for the heads-up!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

The 20,000-mile award is for a one-way, Economy MileSAAver award. These awards are capacity controlled. If you are searching for four award seats and you are only seeing AAnytime award redemption options, then there are no AA flights that currently have four SAAver seats available. Try searching for 3, then 2, and then 1 seat to determine if any SAAver seats are available.

Award seats on LAN and TAM cannot be displayed on aa.com, so a call to AA Reservations might be in order.

Do all four of you have to travel together, or can you split up into two groups of two (with one adult and one child in each group)?

And no reward is required.
That is a possibility, but I have been searching all way down to one person only to no avail. I'll keep calling them to check on LAN/TAM as well.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diver858
It is possible that additional Milesaaver award seats will be released 60 - 90 days prior to departure. Rather than checking daily, consider investing $10 per month in a subscription to expert flyer, set a series of alerts for flights of interest, you will receive an email if/when inventory becomes available.

From personal experience, I would move QUICKLY after receiving an alert, as others may be waiting for the same seats to become available.
Does it work on rewards seats as well?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since AA flies out of several Brazilian cities, I would do an award search from each one. If you find something suitable, I would put that on hold at aa.com (do not actually purchase the award), and then call AA to see if connecting travel on TAM can be added to the same award. (You can also do the same thing searching aa.com for departures from EZE, MVD, etc.)

What U.S. destination are you trying to reach?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
ExpertFlyer, KVS etc. are well discussed in the Travel Tools Forum; they do show award availability.

For awards, check the FAQ in this forum. It includes links to helpful and lengthy threads about Partner awards and MileSAAver awards. They even tell you which other oneworld airlines' sites can be used to seek awards that won't be reflected on AA.com.

We've retitled your query; it's against rules to request, offer or barter AA instruments or anything like cash value for assistance.

Now that we've moved your thread to the appropriate forum (the Consolidated forum only relates to merged AA and US operations, and they are mostly still operating as separate airlines.

/Moderator
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
ExpertFlyer, KVS etc. are well discussed in the Travel Tools Forum; they do show award availability.

For awards, check the FAQ in this forum. It includes links to helpful and lengthy threads about Partner awards and MileSAAver awards. They even tell you which other oneworld airlines' sites can be used to seek awards that won't be reflected on AA.com.

We've retitled your query; it's against rules to request, offer or barter AA instruments or anything like cash value for assistance.

Now that we've moved your thread to the appropriate forum (the Consolidated forum only relates to merged AA and US operations, and they are mostly still operating as separate airlines.

/Moderator
Thank you and sorry, it was an honest mistake I'll check the FAQs!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

Since AA flies out of several Brazilian cities, I would do an award search from each one. If you find something suitable, I would put that on hold at aa.com (do not actually purchase the award), and then call AA to see if connecting travel on TAM can be added to the same award. (You can also do the same thing searching aa.com for departures from EZE, MVD, etc.)

What U.S. destination are you trying to reach?
Trying to get my family to MCO for a Disney vacation! Been gathering those miles for a while now... but I was really naive to think that it would be that easy. Main issu is that my brother-in-law and family, that are also going, already bought their tickets, so my dates are not that flexible.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Trying to get my family to MCO for a Disney vacation!"

Be sure also to check award-availability to alternate FL airports, like TPA, RSW, and MIA. Sometimes, the award-seat availability problem is with the domestic (U.S.) segment, not with the international segment. And since all AA awards are now one-ways, you might be able to fly into one airport, and fly home from another. Search for one-ways, not roundtrips. @:-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.