Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

APFA Announces a Tentative Flight Attendant Agreement (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Flight Attendant Tentative Agreement Highlights

“Top of scale” pay rises to $53.52 an hour, an increase from $49.05 for AA cabin crew and $47.62 for those at US Airways. New lead pay for AA narrow bodies added.

Other highlights: yearly pay raises for the duration of the contract (2% for the second, third, and fourth years and 3% for the final year) and the pay ladder has been shortened from 15 to 13 years. Improvements in vacation benefits, holiday pay, and deadheading and training pay.

Newly added: minimum required work hours for all benefits changed from 40 hours per month to 480 hours per annum (greater flexibility for accruing benefits).

Above from American Flight Attendant Contract to Provide ‘Industry Leading’ Pay and Benefits (published Wednesday in our newsroom)
Print Wikipost

APFA Announces a Tentative Flight Attendant Agreement (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
While there is typically no "direct pay" for F/A's for anything other than actual block time (gate to gate), they are paid indirectly.

1. Expense money actually applies from one hour before sign-in at base until the end of their trip (1-6 days later).
2. F/As are also guaranteed 1 minute for every 2 minutes of duty time. So to use a simple example (and ignoring the minimum average day requirement) if they have a 2 hour delay and the flight was only scheduled for one hour they would get paid 2:15 hours of flight pay (duty day 4:30 = 1:30 signin and debrief + 1 hour flight time + 2 hours delay)/2 = 2:15.
3. Similar to above, they also are gauranteed 1 minute for every 3.5 minutes away from base (so if signin to end of debrief is 48 hours, flight pay would be (48 x 60)/3.5).
4. Plus they also are guranteed an average of 5 hours for every duty period in the trip
5. In addition to all of this, if they are onboard the aircraft more than 30 minutes passed scheduled departure with passengers, they receive holding time of $15/hour.

All of these complex formulas are meant to compensate them for any "unproductive" time (meaning time that the flight pay clock isn't ticking because of actual flying).
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:25 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
So they are very well compensated after all...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
So they are very well compensated after all...
Funny.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 777Pax
While there is typically no "direct pay" for F/A's for anything other than actual block time (gate to gate), they are paid indirectly.

1. Expense money actually applies from one hour before sign-in at base until the end of their trip (1-6 days later).
2. F/As are also guaranteed 1 minute for every 2 minutes of duty time. So to use a simple example (and ignoring the minimum average day requirement) if they have a 2 hour delay and the flight was only scheduled for one hour they would get paid 2:15 hours of flight pay (duty day 4:30 = 1:30 signin and debrief + 1 hour flight time + 2 hours delay)/2 = 2:15.
3. Similar to above, they also are gauranteed 1 minute for every 3.5 minutes away from base (so if signin to end of debrief is 48 hours, flight pay would be (48 x 60)/3.5).
4. Plus they also are guranteed an average of 5 hours for every duty period in the trip
5. In addition to all of this, if they are onboard the aircraft more than 30 minutes passed scheduled departure with passengers, they receive holding time of $15/hour.

All of these complex formulas are meant to compensate them for any "unproductive" time (meaning time that the flight pay clock isn't ticking because of actual flying).
I've actually read the current APFA contract several times; and I don't remember any of this.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I've actually read the current APFA contract several times; and I don't remember any of this.
The easiest place is to read the "On Duty Contract Guide" which is found on the APFA website at this link. It is a "summary" of the most important points related to scheduling and pay that the F/As carry with them during their trips for reference.

https://www.apfa.org/images/contract/ODCG-121713.pdf

The Ground Time and Holding Time provisions are found on Page 2. The "Duty Rigs" and "Trip Rigs" are found on page 4.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:10 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Funny.
??? Total compensation seems like VERY VERY good money to me considering the number of hours worked.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by phlwookie
Lots of info in there, thanks. Is the prevailing opinion that it'll pass?
Voted NO, highlights look good, but the ol' give with one hand and take with the other. Heard a lot of NO votes out there especially after the 1.2 billion dollar profit sharing announcement. Not happy about cleaning planes (under 1,000 miles), increased medical to offset raise, and in 4 years a cut back from AA's 9.9% (over age 50) for 401k down to 5.2%- there goes the raise.
Okay, so what's so great about this industry leading contract? There is a lot of fine print in the 300 pages of the T/A that APFA doesn't mention that is not so great.
Maybe the vote will be swayed by all the new-hires or the USAir f/a's.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Funny.
Yep, that's why I've flown 25-30 hours extra EVERY month for the last 13 years of my 29 years. Rent out a room for extra money- just to make 50k a year (at top of pay scale). I don't call that being compensated well.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: A3 Blue, SPG
No pension.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
A normal month for an AA FA is 75 hours. So at $58.50, that's $52,650 annually, plus other bennies like health contribution, pension, etc. So while they may not be making a six figure salary, they're far from impoverished.

I always wondered about the pay only when the doors are closed thing. How do they get away with requiring FAs to report for work an hour before departure, plus extra time for delays, but not pay them. Isn't this covered by labor laws?
Pensions are long gone at any major U.S. airline. I'd be hard pressed to find an airline that does. AA was the last legacy to eliminate them. The rest did years ago, post 9/11.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: A3 Blue, SPG
Hours worked?

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
??? Total compensation seems like VERY VERY good money to me considering the number of hours worked.
Come on now. You don't mean considering hours worked, you mean considering it's a customer service job.

They don't get paid for all that stressful boarding time. Boarding is the worst part of a flight. People are nuts, and boarding is a freebie. Only when delayed more than 30 minutes, is when they get paid "something".

In this elitist, capitalistic world we live in, the middle class is shrinking. Who are we to judge what someone else should be making?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.