Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Sad that I'm excited for my upcoming Eagle flight on a E175 to experience the old AA catering.
If these planes had wifi I would proactively fly on them but #goingforgreat doesn't seem to think connectivity on a 2hour+ flight is important to a business traveler.....reminds me on #weknowyoufly
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Well, I am now 6/6 on US w a choice of chicken and pasta, usually vegetarian ravioli w red or white sauce. The chicken is generally tasteless. I will also say the US's rolls are terrible and 6/6 have never been served at the right temp (hot)...usually way under-warmed, and once over heated and then left to sit,. where the outside was overly hard. People: we're talking about heating bread -- it's not rocket science. Put it in the over for x minutes and voila, it's ready. Then serve it promptly. Makes such a big difference.

Also, US 805 CUN-PHL had no nuts on board to go w drinks. Oops.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
Well, I am now 6/6 on US w a choice of chicken and pasta, usually vegetarian ravioli w red or white sauce. The chicken is generally tasteless. I will also say the US's rolls are terrible and 6/6 have never been served at the right temp (hot)...usually way under-warmed, and once over heated and then left to sit,. where the outside was overly hard. People: we're talking about heating bread -- it's not rocket science. Put it in the over for x minutes and voila, it's ready. Then serve it promptly. Makes such a big difference.

Also, US 805 CUN-PHL had no nuts on board to go w drinks. Oops.
I miss the pmUS meals. New AA sucks so bad.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
That is the worst looking salad I have seen.
I agree... Is that a new item, or a miscater? I don't recognize it as one of the options.

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
RDU - MIA AA 955
Dep: 6:20am
Class: F

Fell asleep before take-off so can't comment

MIA - POP AA 935
Dep (Scheduled): 12:40pm
Class: F

Was offered PDB and then warm nuts and another round of drinks after take-off. Meal basket consisted of 2 types of pre-made sandwiches, Milano cookies, and banana. Sandwiches were mini "square" sandwiches but the bread was extremely soft and fresh tasting and the Turkey & Cheddar sandwich was quite good.

Load was 20/22 and despite that they loaded enough that a second round of offerings occurred. So while the one sandwich alone was pretty small and would have left me hungry, having two of the mini-turkey sandwiches and banana was certainly a sufficient lunch meal. No cookie was offered but drinks were consistently refilled and the Purser who was managing FC was stellar. Was unable to get pictures but will try and get on return depending on offerings for both POP - MIA and MIA - RDU (~6pm and 9pm departures respectively)
I'm glad the execution was better than the Lite Bites in the past, but overall that doesn't sound like a noticeable upgrade over the pre-November Lite Bites basket? (I know, shock. )
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
LAS-JFK
Breakfast
Boeing 737-800 Boeing Sky Interior pmAA AAircraft

While I admittedly slept for the majority of the flight, I purposely stayed awake through the meal service as this was my first post 11/18 flight and I wanted to see the difference, if any.

NO PDB (I know, surprise, surprise).

After takeoff, beverage of choice and meal orders taken together.

Choices of:
-Cheese omelette or steel cut oatmeal.

One of these times I'll be smart and get the oatmeal as others here routinely rate that high, but I decided to see what the omelette was like post 11/18. Put succinctly? The same crAAp served pre-11/18. I used to LOVE the egg dishes on pmAA. But they seem to really be AAwful post-merger.

The omelette was flavorless and bland, though at least mostly edible. The potatoes were sliced and okay, but not nearly as good as pre-merger. I stayed away from the turkey sausage.

Fruit plate was served on the tray and sliced (in the most-merger fashion, not diced like pmAA, sadly). Plate consisted of 2 melons slices, one pineapple slice, one orange slice, and 6 grapes.

Choice of biscuit or wheat roll from the bread basket. The one upgrade I noticed was there was a plate AND a doily for the roll...it is no longer just plopped down on the dirty tray! Butter and jam available from the bread basket. Sadly, the biscuit was still the warmed and NOT baked-on-board variety...noticeably inferior to that of pmAA.

Drink re-fills available after the meal service. Service was good while I was awake.

Despite my best efforts, my time in Vegas caught up with me and slept for the rest of the flight, so can't report on the service, if any, prior to landing (I heard wrappers opening prior to landing, so I'm assuming the snack basket was passed around).

Also, I tried to upgrade on the return JFK-LAS flight, but my upgrade did not clear, which seems to be happening to me a lot lately
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
AA 1539 RDU-ORD 0640-0755 737-800:

No PDB despite 13/16 in F (two of whom were uniformed pilots) and about 50 more in the back. F/As stood in the galley drinking coffee and talking loudly

Choice of oatmeal or a spinach Florentine quiche. Oatmeal was pretty good but the biscuits obviously are worse than they used to be
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
AA 1450 ORD-RDU 0650-0935 MD-80

PDB of OJ or Water. 11/16 in F and maybe 40 in back so it probably should have been drink of choice but this is AA and I'll take what I can get

Choice of tomato and cheese omelet or French Toast. Strangest looking French Toast I've ever seen. Sausages were tasteless, compote was useless but the French Toast was okay I guess.

Overall, I preferred the oatmeal.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10

PDB of OJ or Water. 11/16 in F and maybe 40 in back so it probably should have been drink of choice but this is AA and I'll take what I can get

Choice of tomato and cheese omelet or French Toast. Strangest looking French Toast I've ever seen. Sausages were tasteless, compote was useless but the French Toast was okay I guess.

That looks almost like a United hockey puck! While some of the breakfasts are similar to pre 9/1, I don't ever remember having something that looked like that.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:00 pm

I have to say I'm okay with the improved lite-bite sandwiches.

I wouldn't call them great, but they aren't terrible post 11/18. Instead of bread with a tiny piece of meat, they count as an actual sandwich.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I had that breakfast a couple of weeks ago, I think you're being very generous with your review - the french toast was absolutely tasteless, the compote was gross, and the sausages were absolutely inedible. Personally, I'll just skip the breakfast in the future.

Last edited by Pinned; Dec 7, 2014 at 8:02 am
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
That looks almost like a United hockey puck! While some of the breakfasts are similar to pre 9/1, I don't ever remember having something that looked like that.
Originally Posted by Pinned
I had that breakfast a couple of weeks ago, I think you're being very generous with your review - the french toast was absolutely tasteless, the compote was gross, and the sausages were absolutely inedible. Personally, I'll just skip the breakfast in the future.
Once I got some butter and syrup on it, it was alright though that compote...words don't describe it. But I agree with you on the sausage, they're worse than Hampton Inn or my dorm cafeteria ones.

Though if I'm being honest, I took this flight twice in 2013 and all it got was a single Biscoff and a drink so I guess this is an improvement, at least for ORD-RDU.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

That's actually the "French Toast Egg Strata" -- it's filled with an egg soufflé. AA has a lot of different egg stratas (and did pre 9/1 too), this is just another flavor. It should be considered more of an egg dish than French toast -- it's more of an egg dish with bread in it than a bread dish with egg on it.

I actually liked the peach compote with it, but then I like compotes as a condiment in general... But that's why it's served on the side.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
That's actually the "French Toast Egg Strata" -- it's filled with an egg soufflé. AA has a lot of different egg stratas (and did pre 9/1 too), this is just another flavor. It should be considered more of an egg dish than French toast -- it's more of an egg dish with bread in it than a bread dish with egg on it.

I actually liked the peach compote with it, but then I like compotes as a condiment in general... But that's why it's served on the side.
I haven't had the "French toast" version of the strata - but I think the strata is actually quite good, and was very happy to have it on LGA-ORD a few weeks back.

Just be happy breakfast hasn't also devolved to UA levels...it's absolutely revolting. And there's no good healthier alternative like the oatmeal - it's just cereal.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
"Going for great" my a**.

LGA-ORD
AA 331
737-800
12:20P-2:05P
December 7, 2014
Lunch

No sign of the much trumpeted "we've heard you and we're improving the quality of our meals, especially the chicken." I pre-ordered one pasta and one chicken. Mrs. SFO's chicken was one of the most disgusting looking and tasting meals. She opined "this is the worst thing I've ever tasted."

My pasta was only slightly better and cut the hunger pangs for both of us until we could get to Frontera.

Pure 7-11 quality although that's probably doing a disservice to the convenience store.

And the now familiar reheated institutional cookies.

Great FA despite the crap food. Told her I missed the old American. She didn't miss a beat and replied "so do we". Yep.
What a pathetic excuse for a meal. Thank goodness for Rick Bayless.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 7, 2014 at 6:32 pm
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Going for great indeed...

That's seriously disgusting looking. Almost so much so that I would rather them just offer nothing and spare me the trouble of having to look at this crAAp. That 'chicken' is something I wouldn't even consider serving my dog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.