Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customer Service automated greeting??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

I couldn't find the right words to search so this may have been posted, but the last few times I've called AA it seems they have changed the setup when speaking to an agent. When it gets transferred I always get the voice mail name greeting - something like "John Doe, American Airlines"" I never know if I'm supposed to say something or wait for them to say something, but everytime I wait its just dead air for like 10 seconds. Always creates an awkward situation like they are waiting for me, but they don't seem prepared if I just launch into my question either.

Has anyone else noticed and how do you handle?

Last edited by nic3456; Jul 25, 2014 at 4:08 pm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
AT&T does this and it is awkward every time I encounter it. I quiet like the US phone system, where the computer says;

"Hello, Plon, I've matched the number you're calling from to your Dividend Miles Account"

Then when you speak to an agent, its usually, "good evening Mr. Plon, how may I help you"

Let's hope they switch to the US way of doing things.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
I always speak after hearing that. While many of us frequent callers recognize it as a recording, I don't think the general public does.

What's really awkward is when you call and their recorded greetings aren't working and the reps don't realize it.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by adambrock
I always speak after hearing that. While many of us frequent callers recognize it as a recording, I don't think the general public does.
My local Burger King does something similar on the drive through. The only reason I know is because the recording was of a lady but then a man responded when I gave my order.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Despite knowing it's a recording, I reply as if they've actually introduced themselves in person--'Hello John, I'm calling because...'

I guess because I know that they know that I know its purpose is to introduce the agent, while giving them enough time to look at the customer's name on their screen (if aadvantage number is given). I've never thought about whether it's awkward.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz

I thought you were posting about the new combined airline message that you have to sit through each time before the system says your name to start the process.

I agree the prerecorded process that introduces the actual customer service agent when connected is not as tight and feels awkward when I start talking and they respond the first time.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.