Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight rescheduled by AA…what are my options?

Old May 17, 2014, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally bought (AA saver award) tkt at end of March flying LHR-MIA on BA metal landing at 3.15pm with connection of 2h 15mins to late afternoon 5.30pm MIA-PUJ (Punta Cana, Dominican Rep.) on AA metal. Purchased my wife's tkt. (class N) using same schedule.

Due to re-scheduling, the later MIA-PUJ one has been moved to 12.30pm and there was no later one on the same day. So my transatlantic flight will have landed (at 3.15pm) after the connecting flight had left. Basically, there is no way that we can now leave LHR and arrive in PUJ (via MIA or any other US airport) on the same day. I was informed that I would have to pay for any overnight MIA stay…which is their policy (?!?).

Received call from AAdvantage agent to inform me but I wasn't able to discuss immediately due to work. Therefore rang (USA-NC call centre) 2hrs later to clarify situation. Had researched to see what options I had between 1st and 2nd calls.

The agent said that because AA have given plenty of advanced warning, they could offer a full refund for both tkts. But as I explained…the reason I bought them in late March was because they were at their cheapest. If I was to purchase new ones either with AA or another carrier, then I would be considerably out of pocket!!!

Next, I asked if they could move us to the codeshare US Airways flight, routing and overnighting thru PHL? Agent told us that it may be possible for myself but impossible for my wife.

Finally, I asked if we could fly instead into SDQ (Santo Domingo) from MIA on their late afternoon flight so that the journey could be completed in 1 day. Again no luck. So I decided to hold back and not make any decision that day.

We really don't want to overnight in MIA if we can possibly avoid it. This was the original reason we bought AA tkts!!! I had the feeling that the agent was deliberately putting up obstacles to every single one of my suggestions!!!
Please can anyone help? What are our options?
Old May 18, 2014, 12:14 am

seems that you're not the only one...
More American Airlines schedule changes for me! You?
Update on the AA schedule changes….
Old May 18, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Because you have one award and one paid ticket (if I understand correctly), there are two different sets of "options".

For the award ticket, you can change to any valid routing between LHR and PUJ that has award space.

You can change the destination from PUJ to something else (again, with valid routing and award space). Normally this will incur a fee, but since it is due to a schedule change the "redeposit" fee should be waived.

For the paid ticket, changes are governed by the fare rules. An "N" fare from LHR-PUJ currently says that a change is 100 GBP + fare difference, with the 100 GBP waived for schedule change or death. If you buy a cheap ticket, it will come with the most restrictive rules regarding changes - that's a risk you took.

If you can find a route which gets you into Miami by 11:00, then AA might agree to it, but if you simply prefer to spend the night in city X rather than Miami, then they certainly aren't obligated to accommodate that.

In both cases, you have the option to cancel without penalty, which may be the only "common" option between the two sets.
Old May 18, 2014, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by jridge
For the paid ticket, changes are governed by the fare rules. An "N" fare from LHR-PUJ currently says that a change is 100 GBP + fare difference, with the 100 GBP waived for schedule change or death. If you buy a cheap ticket, it will come with the most restrictive rules regarding changes - that's a risk you took.
Since OP is dealing with a schedule change, shouldn't the change fee be waived?
Old May 18, 2014, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Many thanx for your responses.

If you can find a route which gets you into Miami by 11:00, then AA might agree to it, but if you simply prefer to spend the night in city X rather than Miami, then they certainly aren't obligated to accommodate that.
The earliest LHR-MIA flight AA57 arrives at 2.25pm. No route on same day that gets me in to PUJ via MIA. Should I accept AA's offer and leave a day earlier, are they obliged to cover overnight MIA hotel expenses?
Old May 18, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jgchan
Many thanx for your responses.

The earliest LHR-MIA flight AA57 arrives at 2.25pm. No route on same day that gets me in to PUJ via MIA. Should I accept AA's offer and leave a day earlier, are they obliged to cover overnight MIA hotel expenses?
AA is not obligated to pay for the hotel room. You've already discovered their willingness to refund the ticket and walk away.
Old May 18, 2014, 6:53 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
AA is not obligated to pay for the hotel room. You've already discovered their willingness to refund the ticket and walk away.
I've just booked a cheap room at the Hyatt House for my stopover.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While the MIA connection is not doable in a day, the route is possible on BA 2157 with a single stop at ANU. It's worth a call to see if there is availability and whether AA might do it for you. Bear in mind that AA has no obligation to do so. Thus, this is an ask rather than a demand.

As to covering costs in MIA. Not a chance. AA simply doesn't do it and would much prefer to cancel for a refund before laying out this type of cash expenditure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.