Wiki Posts
Search

Customs at DFW - is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Customs at DFW - is this normal?

After clearing passport control and going through baggage reclaim, everyone then had to queue to surrender their customs form. Nothing new there.

What I found different was that instead of just simply surrendering it, you actually had to offer the form and passport to the customs officer, who then did a mini-interview.

Is this normal? At LAX you simply hand over the form and that's it - no mini-interview.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I've had the mini-interview at LAX before, so YMMV.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by IverTheCat
After clearing passport control and going through baggage reclaim, everyone then had to queue to surrender their customs form. Nothing new there.

What I found different was that instead of just simply surrendering it, you actually had to offer the form and passport to the customs officer, who then did a mini-interview.

Is this normal? At LAX you simply hand over the form and that's it - no mini-interview.
It's within the range of normal for CBP. It happens from time to time at many US airports of entry but most passengers don't notice it or get subjected to it. Less frequent than what you noted: being pulled to the side after handing in the customs form and then being subjected to a CBP interview where some of the details provided are recorded by hand.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum

Completely normal. That mini-interview can determine whether your bags get searched. The customs official there is interested in what you may be bringing into the country. The passport control immigration official is concerned about your ability to enter the country, not what you are bringing in.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's all about inserting uncertainty into the process. Knowing that your bags might be tossed -- however unlikely -- you are more likely to honestly declare what's in them.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:12 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
One by one, US ports of entry are introducing "automated passport control" for holders of US and Canadian passports. More details and lots of opinions in this FT thread.

In a nutshell, more and more people (US and Canadian citizens plus people who've paid for Global Entry and related programmes) are getting to go through the first stages of entering the country without being questioned by a human. They scan their passports, answer questions via a screen and get 'receipts' from the machines. They then need to hand over the receipts and show their passports when exiting the customs area -- at which point they may be asked one or more questions.

A side effect is that permanent residents now have to queue with visitors.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by IMH
One by one, US ports of entry are introducing "automated passport control" for holders of US and Canadian passports. More details and lots of opinions in this FT thread.

In a nutshell, more and more people (US and Canadian citizens plus people who've paid for Global Entry and related programmes) are getting to go through the first stages of entering the country without being questioned by a human. They scan their passports, answer questions via a screen and get 'receipts' from the machines. They then need to hand over the receipts and show their passports when exiting the customs area -- at which point they may be asked one or more questions.

A side effect is that permanent residents now have to queue with visitors.
US LPRs had to line up with visitors at some US ports of entry even before APC kiosks were acquired for use by any US airport/airline; and in some places the US LPRs being relegated to the visitor lines took place even before there were GE kiosks. Just want to make sure that APC kiosks aren't seen as the driver of all of the shifting of US LPRs into the visitors' lines; that is not to say it may not have been a contributing factor at some airports and won't become more of one unless and until (or even after) APC kiosks are enabled for LPR use and perhaps even ESTA/VWP visitors.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:29 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
US LPRs had to line up with visitors at some US ports of entry even before APC kiosks [...]. Just want to make sure that APC kiosks aren't seen as the driver of all of the shifting of US LPRs into the visitors' lines
Fair point, although (at least in Texas) the introduction of APC is a rather major factor.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
unless and until [...] APC kiosks are enabled for LPR use and perhaps even ESTA/VWP visitors.
It's allegedly coming for both groups, but I won't be holding my breath.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am

The mini-interviews can happen anywhere but seem to happen more regularly at DFW in my experience. Returning from Colombia to ATL or MIA raises nary an eyebrow (and not a single question) but DFW Customs loves extensive mini-interviews when traveling from much less "exotic" origins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.