Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic [Discussion]

Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic
[Discussion]

This thread discusses changes to the combined carrier's meal policy. On Friday, 14 Nov 2014, the following e-mail was sent to AAdvantage frequent flyers:

this after an apparent record of the percentage of complaints received in response to earlier announcements (80% of complaints were about the meal cutbacks),

On Monday, August 4th, 2014, American and US Airways both announced their plans for the final aligned meal service effective September 1st, 2014 for both carriers. This Wiki will touch upon in detail the new meal windows, parameters, and what to expect moving forward.

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-999 miles (2 2:45 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

1,000 1,298 miles (2:45 3:30 hours)*
Enjoy warmed mixed nuts, followed by a three-course meal including a warm cookie for dessert.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)*
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entre followed by cake for dessert. On flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to A321 transcons, listed below.)

*There is no meal service on flights that depart after 8:00pm, only beverages and a snack basket. There is also no meal service on flights that depart before 5:00am.

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on A321 transcontinental service (JFK-LAX/SFO), although some members has clarified that LAX-MIA will continue to receive the same level of service. This still remains to be seen.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC, MEX (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL*, MCO, TPA*
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP, CAP, DCA (Effective 16-Oct-2014), IAD (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
*Flights between JFK and TPA/FLL do not currently operate.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

It was reported from an internal source (but not formally announced) that American Eagle would be discontinuing plated meals and, instead, will offer snack boxes and/or chilled meal boxes on meal flights.

Based on the picture on the websites representing meal service, it is confirmed that American will use US Airways plates, bowls, and other servingware moving forward. Additionally, it has been speculated that tray linens will also be eliminated in lieu of the current US Airways paper tray liner. An AA Twitter representative, however, confirmed that buttonhole napkins would be here to stay.

Additionally on October 1st, American Eagle and US Airways Express flights will follow these same meal time frames with some variations to the service. Flights between approximately 176 and 999 miles will receive snack baskets, and meal flights will feature a chilled gourmet boxed meal. Some popular regional flights between approximately 700 and 999 miles will also receive a chilled gourmet boxed meal.

All information above has been gathered and/or copied from the AA website.

Links:
AA Meal Service
US Meal Service

HISTORICAL INFORMATION:

This section is purely vestigial, primarily concentrating on historical announcements prior to August 4th, showing a path from separate carrier policies to a combined policy.

On February 15, 2014, there was an internal announcement shared here, outlining changes to US Airways' meal policy, as well as a few minor changes on the AA side. The changes would occur in two phases: April and September.

April:
US Airways
The meal windows on US Airways has transitioned from the previous 3 1/2 hours and above window as of April 1st; now, they are serving meals on flights that are 2 hours and 45 minutes, and above (specified as 1,000 nautical miles in the announcement). Light snacks on flights under 2:45 hours has been added, featuring breakfast pastries and fresh fruit for morning flights, as well as finger sandwiches on later flights (known as Lite Bites). New meal window tiers has been added to standardize US Airways meal service:

• Less than an hour: Nut mix
  • 1 - 2 hours: Snack basket
  • 2 - 2:45 hours: Snack basket plus pastries/finger sandwiches (Lite Bites)
  • 2:45 hours - 3 1/2 hours: Meal service, no appetizer
  • 3 1/2 hours - 4 1/2 hours: Full meal, including an appetizer
  • 4 1/2 hours and above: Full meal service, accompanied by the snack basket

American
An expedited service for shorter, eastbound transatlantic flights (JFK-LHR/MAN/DUB) became the only choice in premium cabins. It was also announced that all eastbound transatlantic flights would receive a more streamlined service, but no visible differences has yet to be reported by FT members.

Over the course of this year (but all mentioned changes will discontinue on September 1st, with the exception of A321 transcons receiving three choices, as well as snack & brunch service for redeyes) a few notable improvements were made to transcontinental meal service, such as sorbets being offered as a breakfast/brunch dessert, supper service (an abbreviated dinner service without an appetizer and sundaes) that replaced snack service on redeyes, and three menu choices of entrees being offered instead of the previous two menu choices.

There were also a few cutbacks in the spring: on Flagship Transcontinental service (JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX), wherein marinated anti-pasto was discontinued in 3-class First Class lunch/dinner service; and in International First Class, where the wine-tasting course, grey placemats, and grey water glasses were eliminated in May.

Historical Weekly Updates (shared from an internal source):
6/14

• Emphasis on being a leader, not a follower, according to Doug Parker.
  • Catering and cabin equipment review in progress.
  • FA involvement team to be created.
  • US/IB codeshare has started these past few days.
  • Three cycles of the revision for the joint certificate have been approved by the FAA. FAs now have inflight manual revisions.
  • MIA and JFK catering issues are still being addressed.
  • Visual presentation of the beef in the sandwich on the second meal service from Europe to the United States is being reviewed by F&B and catering in Europe.

6/21
  • Leadership conference focused on restoring AA to greatness.

Reply to negative feedback via website form: (3.5 hr flight RNO-ORD)

Thank you for contacting American. We know that meal options are important to our customers, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your comments about the changes we have made to our First Class meal program.

There are no plans to discontinue the signature services that have set American Airlines apart over the years. In fact, we are investing millions in our product. This includes the existing premium transcontinental service on select markets, and the offering of certain elements that customers have come to appreciate over time such as warm mixed nuts on all meal flights, cookies and premium desserts on longer flights.

Our new Domestic First Class service footprint provides opportunities to not only streamline service but also to enhance the quality of current food components: new salads and entrees. Product offerings are be aligned with the length of flight. For example, appetizers have been added on certain flights, and a new snack basket concept has been introduced on shorter flights. New meal tray elements to modernize presentation have been introduced, including new china and a stemless wine glass.

A component of these changes is to make consistent between American and US Airways the length of flight where a full meal service is offered. Effective September 1, traditional meal service is offered in First Class on flights operated by American that are 2:45 or longer. While this has removed the traditional meal service from some markets served by American, the changes implemented at US Airways earlier this year added meals to many US Airways markets that traditionally have not offered a full meal service.

On flights from 2 hours to 2:45 in length we offer our customers a "Lite Bites" basket with a variety of food options including tea sandwiches, fresh fruit, breakfast breads and sweet and savory snacks. We will, of course, continue to offer complimentary beverages and snacks for our First Class customers on all of our flights, including beer, spirits and our award-winning wine selection.
Print Wikipost

Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic [Discussion]

Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by gsupstate
I thought that most carriers already offered an express type of meal service in J for those who wanted to eat quickly and catch some ZZZ's.
US actually does this better with an actual separate express meal. Usually like a salad with protein that can be pulled out quickly and plopped down. BA has this as well on their full meal service flights - or at least in certain markets.

AA's Express Meal service is just a "you can request everything at once." The FA's hate it. And it generally doesn't come that fast since they still have to go through prepping all the entrees, etc. The Express option actually makes an already long service on shorter TATLs even longer for everyone.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by gsupstate
I thought that most carriers already offered an express type of meal service in J for those who wanted to eat quickly and catch some ZZZ's.

They do.

<redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 25, 2014 at 8:43 am Reason: unnecessary personal exchange
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by sts603
Second, <redacted> the bulk of the passengers sitting in the J cabin on TATL flights <are> time-strapped business travelers who are conducting business in Europe the next day who don't have time to burn a day flying to Europe. And for most of us, sleep is an essential component to being functional upon arrival. Not only is offering Sleeper Service style-service alongside full four course service incredibly costly but it still disturbs those sleeping in the cabin. If you look at the majority of the passengers on BA in J, and many on AA in J (even though they don't serve pre-flight dining outside the FL), they zonk out instantly upon take off - many not even waiting for a night cap or the Sleeper Service food service.
<redacted> I guess you didn't read in that same sentence that I said folks could also elect to fly on BA TATL (which provides the sort of meals you're advocating). <redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 28, 2014 at 1:34 am Reason: Edited quote of redacted post
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Globehopper
I guess you didn't read in that same sentence that I said folks could also elect to fly on BA TATL (which provides the sort of meals you're advocating).
I very definitely read it.

First, this change is to further continue to standardize TATL service within the AA/BA JV. Of course I wish they would standardize their single malt selection to BA's level but that's another story.

Second, I don't think it makes business sense to have BA be the carrier that most business travelers want while AA continues to provide what is really an outdated approach to short TATL eastbound service.

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 25, 2014 at 8:47 am Reason: Updated quote of edited post
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Globehopper
They do.
First, there are more people who feel that way.

Second, I have taken 14 JFK-LHR round trips in the J cabin in the last year or so. The majority of passengers, especially the majority of what appear to be business passengers (the target customer of a J cabin of course), generally do not partake in the extended service.

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 25, 2014 at 8:47 am Reason: Edited quote of redacted post
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sts603
The special service on the 767 and 757 is becoming more obsolete given the 77W is a plating service in J. My guess is that over the next 18 months, its standardized on all aircraft in J and the only real loss will be bigger wine glasses in J on the 767 and 757.

Is that true? Are entrees plated on board and hand-run on the 77W in J class? I have flown only in F on the 77W, so I don't know from personal experience. I have looked behind me during service and seen the service carts in the aisle back in J, but I wasn't sure if the entrees were being served from the carts domestic-style, or whether the FAs were plating and hand-running the entrees.

Hand-run, plated-on-board entrees are MUCH nicer and more elegant (and even taste better) than preplated entrees in warming dishes, IMHO.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Is that true? Are entrees plated on board and hand-run on the 77W in J class? I have flown only in F on the 77W, so I don't know from personal experience. I have looked behind me during service and seen the service carts in the aisle back in J, but I wasn't sure if the entrees were being served from the carts domestic-style, or whether the FAs were plating and hand-running the entrees.

Hand-run, plated-on-board entrees are MUCH nicer and more elegant (and even taste better) than preplated entrees in warming dishes, IMHO.
Yes, they are plated in J class on the 77W. Its one of the reasons, in addition to the 52 seats, the FA's hate it with only one extra in J over the 777.

Hand-run vs. cart, however, depends on the crew.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by DillMan
I fly a 929 mile segment in paid F or UP almost every week. I would be sad if they did away with meal service as both ways I can snag a connection around 45 mins.
^ I also frequently pay for F on DFW-ORD (~800 sm) and DFW-TPA (~950 sm).
Old Feb 18, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum Card, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Herb687
^ I also frequently pay for F on DFW-ORD (~800 sm) and DFW-TPA (~950 sm).
I've purchased a couple of paid F tickets for CLT-DFW (937 mi) recently and can say the meal service is a huge differentiator. I am usually flying at meal times. at 3 hours westbound, by the time I arrive it is too late to eat dinner. I would not pay for US F on this route but would for AA.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I don't get all of this brew haha over meals. Flying Eastbound in J to very Eastern parts of Europe you will still get a full hot dinner and breakfast. Would you believe there business paxs in the back forced to fly Y that must go with the swill served in steerage. How much calorie ladden food does one need in a six hour period.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I don't get all of this brew haha over meals. Flying Eastbound in J to very Eastern parts of Europe you will still get a full hot dinner and breakfast. Would you believe there business paxs in the back forced to fly Y that must go with the swill served in steerage. How much calorie ladden food does one need in a six hour period.
Part of what people are paying for is the option to say no. People can go 14 hours from NYC to HKG with no meal service and live.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Microwave
This thread makes my head spin.

All I can really tell is that things are getting better on the US side, which is good, meals will get faster on short eastbound transatlantic flights, which is good, and unnamed further changes are coming later, which could be good or bad. Call me nave but I'll wait to judge each change until I actually know what it is. So far these are actually all "good" in my book.

PS: I am not trying to "AApologise" for AA/USdbaAA here, just saying that we should at least give them a chance to sort out what changes they will be announcing later before we hold a wake for the good old days.
Amen.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:56 pm

Posted for your amusement

http://nwkarchivist.tumblr.com/image/16831664553
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BuddyBird
And probably in Y on a flight from ORD to DTW.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I didn't think the choice of beers was that entertaining on my last TATL, but then again, I didn't pay much attention to the menu.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.