Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic [Discussion]

Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic
[Discussion]

This thread discusses changes to the combined carrier's meal policy. On Friday, 14 Nov 2014, the following e-mail was sent to AAdvantage frequent flyers:

this after an apparent record of the percentage of complaints received in response to earlier announcements (80% of complaints were about the meal cutbacks),

On Monday, August 4th, 2014, American and US Airways both announced their plans for the final aligned meal service effective September 1st, 2014 for both carriers. This Wiki will touch upon in detail the new meal windows, parameters, and what to expect moving forward.

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-999 miles (2 – 2:45 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

1,000 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)*
Enjoy warmed mixed nuts, followed by a three-course meal including a warm cookie for dessert.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)*
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. On flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to A321 transcons, listed below.)

*There is no meal service on flights that depart after 8:00pm, only beverages and a snack basket. There is also no meal service on flights that depart before 5:00am.

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on A321 transcontinental service (JFK-LAX/SFO), although some members has clarified that LAX-MIA will continue to receive the same level of service. This still remains to be seen.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC, MEX (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL*, MCO, TPA*
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP, CAP, DCA (Effective 16-Oct-2014), IAD (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
*Flights between JFK and TPA/FLL do not currently operate.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

It was reported from an internal source (but not formally announced) that American Eagle would be discontinuing plated meals and, instead, will offer snack boxes and/or chilled meal boxes on meal flights.

Based on the picture on the websites representing meal service, it is confirmed that American will use US Airways plates, bowls, and other servingware moving forward. Additionally, it has been speculated that tray linens will also be eliminated in lieu of the current US Airways paper tray liner. An AA Twitter representative, however, confirmed that buttonhole napkins would be here to stay.

Additionally on October 1st, American Eagle and US Airways Express flights will follow these same meal time frames with some variations to the service. Flights between approximately 176 and 999 miles will receive snack baskets, and meal flights will feature a chilled gourmet boxed meal. Some popular regional flights between approximately 700 and 999 miles will also receive a chilled gourmet boxed meal.

All information above has been gathered and/or copied from the AA website.

Links:
AA Meal Service
US Meal Service

HISTORICAL INFORMATION:

This section is purely vestigial, primarily concentrating on historical announcements prior to August 4th, showing a path from separate carrier policies to a combined policy.

On February 15, 2014, there was an internal announcement shared here, outlining changes to US Airways' meal policy, as well as a few minor changes on the AA side. The changes would occur in two phases: April and September.

April:
US Airways
The meal windows on US Airways has transitioned from the previous 3 1/2 hours and above window as of April 1st; now, they are serving meals on flights that are 2 hours and 45 minutes, and above (specified as 1,000 nautical miles in the announcement). Light snacks on flights under 2:45 hours has been added, featuring breakfast pastries and fresh fruit for morning flights, as well as finger sandwiches on later flights (known as Lite Bites). New meal window tiers has been added to standardize US Airways meal service:

• Less than an hour: Nut mix
  • 1 - 2 hours: Snack basket
  • 2 - 2:45 hours: Snack basket plus pastries/finger sandwiches (Lite Bites)
  • 2:45 hours - 3 1/2 hours: Meal service, no appetizer
  • 3 1/2 hours - 4 1/2 hours: Full meal, including an appetizer
  • 4 1/2 hours and above: Full meal service, accompanied by the snack basket

American
An expedited service for shorter, eastbound transatlantic flights (JFK-LHR/MAN/DUB) became the only choice in premium cabins. It was also announced that all eastbound transatlantic flights would receive a more streamlined service, but no visible differences has yet to be reported by FT members.

Over the course of this year (but all mentioned changes will discontinue on September 1st, with the exception of A321 transcons receiving three choices, as well as snack & brunch service for redeyes) a few notable improvements were made to transcontinental meal service, such as sorbets being offered as a breakfast/brunch dessert, supper service (an abbreviated dinner service without an appetizer and sundaes) that replaced snack service on redeyes, and three menu choices of entrees being offered instead of the previous two menu choices.

There were also a few cutbacks in the spring: on Flagship Transcontinental service (JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX), wherein marinated anti-pasto was discontinued in 3-class First Class lunch/dinner service; and in International First Class, where the wine-tasting course, grey placemats, and grey water glasses were eliminated in May.

Historical Weekly Updates (shared from an internal source):
6/14

• Emphasis on being a leader, not a follower, according to Doug Parker.
  • Catering and cabin equipment review in progress.
  • FA involvement team to be created.
  • US/IB codeshare has started these past few days.
  • Three cycles of the revision for the joint certificate have been approved by the FAA. FAs now have inflight manual revisions.
  • MIA and JFK catering issues are still being addressed.
  • Visual presentation of the beef in the sandwich on the second meal service from Europe to the United States is being reviewed by F&B and catering in Europe.

6/21
  • Leadership conference focused on restoring AA to greatness.

Reply to negative feedback via website form: (3.5 hr flight RNO-ORD)

Thank you for contacting American. We know that meal options are important to our customers, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your comments about the changes we have made to our First Class meal program.

There are no plans to discontinue the signature services that have set American Airlines apart over the years. In fact, we are investing millions in our product. This includes the existing premium transcontinental service on select markets, and the offering of certain elements that customers have come to appreciate over time such as warm mixed nuts on all meal flights, cookies and premium desserts on longer flights.

Our new Domestic First Class service footprint provides opportunities to not only streamline service but also to enhance the quality of current food components: new salads and entrees. Product offerings are be aligned with the length of flight. For example, appetizers have been added on certain flights, and a new snack basket concept has been introduced on shorter flights. New meal tray elements to modernize presentation have been introduced, including new china and a stemless wine glass.

A component of these changes is to make consistent between American and US Airways the length of flight where a full meal service is offered. Effective September 1, traditional meal service is offered in First Class on flights operated by American that are 2:45 or longer. While this has removed the traditional meal service from some markets served by American, the changes implemented at US Airways earlier this year added meals to many US Airways markets that traditionally have not offered a full meal service.

On flights from 2 hours to 2:45 in length we offer our customers a "Lite Bites" basket with a variety of food options including tea sandwiches, fresh fruit, breakfast breads and sweet and savory snacks. We will, of course, continue to offer complimentary beverages and snacks for our First Class customers on all of our flights, including beer, spirits and our award-winning wine selection.
Print Wikipost

Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic [Discussion]

Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta has used the 900-mile minimum for a long time - maybe five years. For flights less than 1500 miles they also use meal departure time windows so a 1:35 PM departure on a 900-mile flight isn't going to get lunch. DL still offers special meals in domestic first, however. On a very few 'competitive' routes DL will offer a meal on flights less than 900 miles.

Maybe a year ago United dumbed down to the 900-mile minimum.

If AA adopts a 1000 mile (or 1000 nm) minimum it will set off the race to lower the bar yet again.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
STL loses all of it's meal flights but LAX if we go to 1000. Currently we have DCA and MIA (931).
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Shareholder
As for the eastbound flights to the UK/Ireland, particularly in business, is more a factor of the limited time on such routes and the desire of most in that cabin to get a good night's sleep than to eat and drink, particularly as more of those flights have lay flat beds (both AA and US metal).
I agree with this. On a 6 hour overnight flight, who wants to spend 2 hours on dinner especially when purchasing a product with flat bed? I bet they have some data on how many pax refuse meal service on these filghts.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by wetrat0
I agree with this. On a 6 hour overnight flight, who wants to spend 2 hours on dinner especially when purchasing a product with flat bed? I bet they have some data on how many pax refuse meal service on these filghts.
I would think paxs needing to hit the ground running would rather have a single plated meal and get the cabin darkened for sleep. As it is with the breakfast service there is little sleep flying East.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
The first of many "enhancements" coming our way.

Last edited by AAerSTL; Feb 16, 2014 at 11:44 am
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SJC AA
The reason BA has "expedited" meal service on their eastbound TATL flights is that they offer a full meal pre-flight in the lounge, so passengers can eat dinner before boarding. The Admirals Club does not offer this service, and I suspect still won't. So, no decent meal for passengers flying AA, and even more incentive to fly on BA metal.
+1 preflight dining is why prefer BA metal over AA.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJC AA
The reason BA has "expedited" meal service on their eastbound TATL flights is that they offer a full meal pre-flight in the lounge, so passengers can eat dinner before boarding. The Admirals Club does not offer this service, and I suspect still won't. So, no decent meal for passengers flying AA, and even more incentive to fly on BA metal.
The Flagship lounge next door (to one of them) does offer a "light" meal all day (including pre-flight therefore). But even if they can cater more of that level of food into the ACs proper, the issue might be seating. I've only been there once (when reaccomodated by AA onto a BA flight ^), but it felt like the BA preflight lounge was a way bigger seating area than anything AA has.

Of course, there's a simple way AA could make all their flights have "expedited" meal service: Fly all their flights to LHR out of BA's terminal at JFK, and use BA's existing preflight dining service! (Or bring BA over to AA's terminal along with the preflight lounge they can share.)
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The Flagship lounge next door (to one of them) does offer a "light" meal all day (including pre-flight therefore). But even if they can cater more of that level of food into the ACs proper, the issue might be seating. I've only been there once (when reaccomodated by AA onto a BA flight ^), but it felt like the BA preflight lounge was a way bigger seating area than anything AA has.

Of course, there's a simple way AA could make all their flights have "expedited" meal service: Fly all their flights to LHR out of BA's terminal at JFK, and use BA's existing preflight dining service! (Or bring BA over to AA's terminal along with the preflight lounge they can share.)

Or you can just spend $60 and eat at Bobby Vans in T8 - and get a hell of a better meal than AA or BA is going to give you.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Expedited, shorter, and streamlined could be either positive or negative. I'm curious about the details as they unfold.
These are such short flights that I can completely understand the need for the change.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by rayhurst
I agree, it sounds like they just split the difference for min time for meal between US (3.5hr) and AA (2hr) to end up at 2.75hr. US flyers see an improvement and AA flyers take a hit. And in typical corporate spin, they mention how many US flights will gain meals and leave out how many AA flights will lose meals which must be a MUCH higher number given the larger footprint and all the midcons from ORD/DFW that will fall between 2-2.75hrs.
I'm completely guessing on this, but based on the timing I suspect this is from a communication to pmUS employees -- hence the focus on US.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that this may only refer to "meal" service. US today does not have a concept of "snack" service in the way AA does -- and also does not have the mealtime windows AA does. On US, any departure between 5am and 8pm is "mealtime."

That said, the upgraded snack basket they're talking about could be a really nice alternative to AA's "snack" meals if they implement it well. I personally like having a choice of items available on shorter flights. I have to say that (IMHO) US has done a really good job improving the snack basket in F over the past few years. It is a step above the basket on Delta even in its current state, with mostly brands you'd find at Whole Foods versus Delta's CVS-level offerings, with a fairly frequent rotation of items -- and they almost never seem to run out of anything. I think a combination of US' current snack basket plus sandwiches and fruit could be a significantly better offering than either DL or UA offer on shorter flights.

The flight length is the big sticking point for me -- 1000nm is a fairly reasonable length out of pmUS hubs, but would mean a lot of cuts for AA -- particularly out of DFW and MIA. I am really hoping that either that will be a transitional figure, or be adjusted hub-by-hub after September.

Just out of curiosity, I mapped the difference between UA/DL's 900mi rule and this 1000nm one from each US/AA hub. This isn't meant to be comprehensive, but here's some of the major markets in that gap from each:
MIA: NYC, STL, DTW, and everything in PA, OH, and IN. This seems unworkable. Even 900mi leaves out DC.
JFK: MSP, LIT, most of Florida
DFW: DTW, CLE, CMH, PIT, RDU, CLT, LAS, PSP, and most of FL
ORD: fairly few. DEN, IAH, TPA, MCO are the big ones.
LAX: only SEA, really.

PHL: MCI, MSP, and OMA, plus most of FL.
CLT: OKC, OMA, and much of TX
PHX: SEA, PDX, MCI, OKC, OMA, IAH
I really don't see a lot of those cuts -- particularly flights to DL/UA hubs and NYC to Florida -- being competitive. My guess is that it eventually ends up at 900mi to benchmark the competition.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by Fanjet
It could be a matter of the catering suppliers on the US side. The US stations which currently do not have catered meals in F, might be double-catered out of the hubs in the interim period until September, when a better system can be implemented with the suppliers.
I have no idea about caterers, other than most US stations are also served by AA so if AA caters at a station US could too. Likewise, I don't know what kind of lead time there is for getting more catering supplies provided to caterers that will be providing more meals/day. I do know that the US' catering schedule calls for menu changes every three months or so.

Jim
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I have no idea about caterers, other than most US stations are also served by AA so if AA caters at a station US could too. Likewise, I don't know what kind of lead time there is for getting more catering supplies provided to caterers that will be providing more meals/day. I do know that the US' catering schedule calls for menu changes every three months or so.

Jim

Wow what if pax travel the route often? No variety on US. AA rotates every month and there are four rotations four transcontinental markets. Does the same apply for Envoy/international business class?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:16 pm

As long as the majority of those sitting in the premium cabins are redeemers/upgraders, those sitting there will be at the mercy of the airline.

I am usually one of the above and am happy to take whatever the new AA gives me.

As someone else pointed out, I can likely get a much better meal at the airport for $25 (or less) per person.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Wow what if pax travel the route often? No variety on US. AA rotates every month and there are four rotations four transcontinental markets. Does the same apply for Envoy/international business class?
For US, a "menu" is three selections - each having two entrees/desserts - which rotate every month. If selection one is catered in eastern catering stations one month, selection two is catered the next month and selection three is catered the third month. Then the "menu" changes for the next three months. That way each direction of the typical round trip has different selections. The same rotation happens with TATL.

Jim
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL (former NWA) PM
Confused

Won't this be a big win for US Airways Markets that only serve a meal in F for flights that are 3.5+ hours?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.