Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra to be extended to US aircraft [in long run]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....

Yahoo Finance
Open SearchCancel

AA plans to put extra-legroom seats on US Airways
American Airlines plans to expand economy seats with more legroom to US Airways planes
Associated Press By David Koenig, AP Airlines Writer 27 minutes ago

DALLAS (AP) -- (in part)

The airlines, which completed their merger in December, are finally hinting how they'll settle one difference. In a message to employees this week, American Airlines Group Inc. leaders said plan to go with American's practice of providing extra legroom with a few seats in the economy cabin, and charging passengers more to sit there.

Passengers willing to pay American $16 to $159 more per flight — up from $8 to $108 two years ago — can get a Main Cabin Extra seat with up to six inches more legroom on most planes. The perk is free for elite members of American's frequent-flier program.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/aa-pla...224848855.html

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 7, 2014 at 7:34 pm Reason: edit to eliminate copyright violation
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Great news!
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Now for a timeframe!
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Main Cabin Extra to be extended to US aircraft

Good news
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:57 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation Not on the current fleet though!!!

I have been on several of the Monday morning/Thursday afternoon US Airways Employee Shuttle flights in the past 6 weeks (US Airways flight 540/654). They refer to this as the Employee Shuttle flight since there are anywhere from 12-20 US Air employees on this flight heading to AA's HQ to work for a few days. On 4 of these flights I have either sat behind, in front of, or beside Scott Kirby. Main Cabin Extra was one of the the numerous topicss we discussed.

On newly acquired Airbus metal, Yes, MCE. On the existing fleet, NO!
Old Feb 8, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Hard to believe. Won't they want a consistent product?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps you're confusing MCE with IFE? IFE will not be retro-fitted to existing planes, while MCE will extend to the entire fleet.

Originally Posted by SJC AA
Hard to believe. Won't they want a consistent product?
I would make a substantial wager that the entire fleet will eventually feature MCE. Not a chance that the existing planes would not be reconfigured.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Agree -- AA has always been extremely compulsive about standardization of their product across their fleet -- including hating having subfleets. I'd imagine they'll move pretty quickly to remove the row of seats on US aircraft needed to have MCE fleet-wide.

On the flip side, UA still has some 737s out there that 2 years after the merger still don't have an E+ cabin (they designate the exit rows as E+, but not the rows in front .. same pitch as rest of cabin). Amazing.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I have been on several of the Monday morning/Thursday afternoon US Airways Employee Shuttle flights in the past 6 weeks (US Airways flight 540/654). They refer to this as the Employee Shuttle flight since there are anywhere from 12-20 US Air employees on this flight heading to AA's HQ to work for a few days. On 4 of these flights I have either sat behind, in front of, or beside Scott Kirby. Main Cabin Extra was one of the the numerous topicss we discussed.

Next time you see him, ask him again. Because it would not make sense to have an extremely small subset of aircraft with MCE. However, as has been mentioned, new deliveries of aircraft to US (starting in Septemebr IIRC) will have interiors identical to what AA has being delivered now. With no mention of what the existing aircrafts' interiors (seats/IFE/overhead bins) will eventually look like.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:57 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Perhaps you're confusing MCE with IFE? IFE will not be retro-fitted to existing planes, while MCE will extend to the entire fleet.

MAIN CABIN EXTRA, Not IFE (pretty hard to confuse the two)!

I would make a substantial wager that the entire fleet will eventually feature MCE. Not a chance that the existing planes would not be reconfigured.
1. How much?
2. If you REALLY feel like wagering, please PM me so I can send you my PayPal account (-;
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Im shocked. I didn't think Doug cared about such trivial things like extra legroom. I guesss he cold not resist making a few extra $$ on the side.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: US -Plat, UA-Plat, AA-Plat, Marriott - Platinum,
Great news, a 180 from jamming an extra row on the A321s. I hope MCE IS added to all aircraft. Knowing my upgrade percentages will be declining sharply (1 part merger, 1 part less travel / lower status) MCE will become a nice perk. It's one thing that I thought UA did well.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PA Pilot
Great news, a 180 from jamming an extra row on the A321s. I hope MCE IS added to all aircraft. Knowing my upgrade percentages will be declining sharply (1 part merger, 1 part less travel / lower status) MCE will become a nice perk. It's one thing that I thought UA did well.
Call me a cynic but I'll point out that removing seats is just one one to create an MCE cabin - the other way is to cram the rear seats even closer together. The AA 319 with MCE has even more total seats than the US 319 without it.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
The other, other-way is to use a slimmer seat as well... What's the WN FT term for it? Devolve?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FWAAA

MAIN CABIN EXTRA, Not IFE (pretty hard to confuse the two)!

1. How much?
2. If you REALLY feel like wagering, please PM me so I can send you my PayPal account (-;
I want in on this bet. I don't see them adding MCE to the Dash-8. Maybe CRJ or E145 ... maybe... But probably not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.