Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Eagle Airlines plans to change its name (to Envoy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DenverBrian
Print Wikipost

American Eagle Airlines plans to change its name (to Envoy)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:40 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A465 Safari/9537.53)

Comair, they are headed in that direction
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Now that Allegheny has merged into the family maybe they can resurface that name. Seems a shame to pass up the AAlliterative "Agony Airlines" moniker of old.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Definitely American Eagle needs a new name. When you hear American Eagle, you think of the clothing store, not about airplanes. People I know tend to call American Eagle "American Express", probably because other airlines have "express" in their regional jet names.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, Avis Presidents Club, Life Member VFW Post 10029
Originally Posted by danosu77
I vote for Valkyrie. Then we can also experience Flight of the Valkyries
^ ^ ^
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:33 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
My spouse and I have our own name for the regional jets. We call them "Sweet-Jets". I dunno how or why we started using this term. It's probably a lot like nicknames that you give to kids. Be very careful what you nickname a kid because the term has a way of sticking.

Anyway, I vote for "Sweet-Jets" as the new name for (whatever commuter airline we're talkint about). For starters, the name is probably available. Second, the name sounds "cute". After all, wouldn't the general public just LOVE to fly in a cute little adorable "Sweet-Jet"? Finally, if they actually select the regional choice and name their airline "Sweet-Jets", my spouse and I won't have to even consider changing the terminology we've already used for years.

"Sweet-Jets". Get used to it.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
How about Trans Global Airlines
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The rumoured change will not affect the brand "American Eagle." American Eagle Airlines (MQ) will likely be changing its name to something not containing either "American" or "Eagle." No other legacy airline commuter feeder shares the same name as the regional brand.

I vote for Simmons.
I'll vote for Wings West. And can we bring back the Metroliners (aka San Antonio Sewer Pipes) while we're at it?

Originally Posted by DCAorBust
Now that Allegheny has merged into the family maybe they can resurface that name. Seems a shame to pass up the AAlliterative "Agony Airlines" moniker of old.
But Allegheny already lives on (for the time being) as part of the acronym that is US Air.

US Air is an acronym for Unfortunately Still Allegheny in Reality.

...said airline was then later rebranded as Unfortunately Still Allegheny in Reality. Why Alter Your Signs?

Originally Posted by uxb
They could call themselves TWA, but that presumes AE flies outside of NA. Maybe they can call themselves PanAm!!!!! Yes, I think they should go with that.
You know in all seriousness there is some precedent for this as US Airways Group recussitated the names of a few of their predecessors as regional partner airlines: Piedmont and PSA are both US Airways Express carriers (though presumably these are not the old Piedmont and PSA AOCs?)

Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
The changes are expected to be unveiled in the next few weeks “to distinguish ourselves” from other regional carriers that fly for American.
Personally I think AA is being stupid and should revert to the American Eagle/AmericanConnection branding. That had a nice simplicity to it - if you were on an American Eagle flight you know you were on the actual American Eagle certificate (or Executive, which was still 100% AMR controlled); if you were on an AmericanConnection flight you were on a ragtag assortment of retread spare AOCs.

It's the crappy outsourced airlines that should change their brand, not MQ.

For some of us who actually care who is flying our airplanes, MQ has brand equity. About the only other regional operator I sort of trust is Skywest (OO).

Last edited by Herb687; Jan 4, 2014 at 4:48 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:54 pm
B1

How many airline did merge to get to US Airways? I recall Allegheny and Mohawk and there's Piedmont and Lake Central. And Pacific Southwest and All-American Airways. No shortage of legacy names.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
My spouse and I have our own name for the regional jets. We call them "Sweet-Jets". I dunno how or why we started using this term. It's probably a lot like nicknames that you give to kids. Be very careful what you nickname a kid because the term has a way of sticking.

Anyway, I vote for "Sweet-Jets" as the new name for (whatever commuter airline we're talkint about). For starters, the name is probably available. Second, the name sounds "cute". After all, wouldn't the general public just LOVE to fly in a cute little adorable "Sweet-Jet"? Finally, if they actually select the regional choice and name their airline "Sweet-Jets", my spouse and I won't have to even consider changing the terminology we've already used for years.

"Sweet-Jets". Get used to it.
Why not just use SureJet?

Originally Posted by adambrock
I hope they name it something Murcan like "Freedom Airlines" or "Constitution Connection".
"Freedom Airlines" was an America West Express carrier (later Delta Connection) owned by Mesa. After some litigation all aircraft were transferred to other regionals and the airline was shut down. I'm sure Mesa still owns the name.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Pegasus Airways would be a good name.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Well now that RAVN is taken, all good names are gone lol
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by B1
How many airline did merge to get to US Airways? I recall Allegheny and Mohawk and there's Piedmont and Lake Central. And Pacific Southwest and All-American Airways. No shortage of legacy names.
And a whole lot more, considering that USAir is really the former America West....
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Visa, SWA Rapid Rewards, Nat'l Car Rental, US Dividend Miles MC, Delta Skymiles AmEx
Originally Posted by uxb
They could call themselves TWA, but that presumes AE flies outside of NA.
TWA was once called Transcontinental and Western Air, so it might fit as is.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I like the idea of a legacy name, but doubt many of the former US entities would be considered, as their perceptions are not positive with many - in particular, America West and US Air.

For this reason, I would expect something new, unique.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
What about Crow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.