Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I just saw on Twitter that AA is actively recruiting new cabin crew fluent in Dutch.

A new route to Amsterdam is in the cards?
Wouldn't be surprised if they upgauge the current PHL-AMS flight to a Dreamliner or 330 or something bigger. They should have at least 2 daily flights to and from AMS though. They are a big enough airline. ORD or JFK are the most likely candidates for a nonstop. JFK has the O&D and ORD has a lot of feeder traffic.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Could AA be interested re-starting their own metal flight JFK-NRT (taking over for one JL flight) now that Delta is exiting the route/market?
No, because they are happy letting JL carry all of the passengers on JFK-NRT. Will JL upgauge their daily Dreamliner flight to a 777? Quite possible.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
AA is hiring Dutch speaking FA's (Per Facebook post by AA). Does this mean they're planning on launching AMS?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by AAway
AA is hiring Dutch speaking FA's (Per Facebook post by AA). Does this mean they're planning on launching AMS?
They already fly PHL-AMS albeit on an outmoded LUS 757. Pretty sad the world's largest airline only has a once daily flight to AMS on a narrow body that hasn't been updated since.......
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Djokison
It could just be for the PHL route. It's switching to LAA soon, so if they want to have Dutch speakers on board, they'll have to hire new ones, as the current ones are LUS and won't be able to crew the LAA 757. (For now, anyway.)

The job ad only mentions LAA hubs, so it's definitely for the LAA side, in any case.

With that being said, I would love another route from AMS, though.
Interesting, I didn't realize that PHL-AMS was moving to LAA operated but it most certainly is now that I look. I expect you are right and this is the driver behind the hiring, since crews are not integrated yet.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787
PHL-NRT would make more sense. PHL is a big market with a sizeable Asian population and has no direct flights to Asia.
The A350's were purchased for routes just like this, however, AA really doesn't know what to do with them, since they are using the 788,789's
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
I suspect that 90% of travelers to and from Amsterdam speak English. Why would they need Dutch speaking FAs?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by jfinsocal
I suspect that 90% of travelers to and from Amsterdam speak English. Why would they need Dutch speaking FAs?
For the 10% who don't speak English?

I'm not familiar with if it's law or just custom, but all international flights I have been on have had speakers of the native language(s) of the country we were traveling to, and announcement were made in English and that language(s). When I fly ORD-BRU on AA several years back, all announcement for in English, Dutch, and French.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Does anyone know if AA is setting up a crew base for pmAA employees at PHL? If a pmAA 757 will be taking over PHL-AMS, that 757 will have to be flown in from somewhere else with a pmAA crew, otherwise. Since there is only one flight to/from AMS in the system. For example, the pmUS 332 flying ORD-DUB is part of a PHL-DUB-ORD-DUB-PHL flight sequence. And the pmAA 763 flying PHL-ZRH is part of a JFK-ZRH-PHL-ZRH-JFK one.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The A350's were purchased for routes just like this, however, AA really doesn't know what to do with them, since they are using the 788,789's
They were but since AA deferred delivery on the A350s by a couple of years....we're gonna have to wait unless AA proposes using different equipment on a route like this (e.g., a 789 which have yet to be delivered but there have been 17 788 deliveries).
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
Originally Posted by ty97
For the 10% who don't speak English?

I'm not familiar with if it's law or just custom, but all international flights I have been on have had speakers of the native language(s) of the country we were traveling to, and announcement were made in English and that language(s). When I fly ORD-BRU on AA several years back, all announcement for in English, Dutch, and French.
Primarily for safety, but also for service. Not all pax are English speakers, although I agree that with the Dutch, a very high % are.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Longboater
They already fly PHL-AMS albeit on an outmoded LUS 757. Pretty sad the world's largest airline only has a once daily flight to AMS on a narrow body that hasn't been updated since.......
I suppose there's also the various Caribbean flights to Aruba, Saint Maarten, and Curaçao from MIA/CLT. Although I have no idea if Dutch is commonly spoken there or just the offical language in name only.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by andreirublev
I suppose there's also the various Caribbean flights to Aruba, Saint Maarten, and Curaçao from MIA/CLT. Although I have no idea if Dutch is commonly spoken there or just the offical language in name only.
Pretty sure English is more widely spoken in the islands. Papiamento is most widely spoken language in Aruba and Curaçao. Incidentally, French is more widely spoken on the Dutch side of Sint Maarten than Dutch. That being said, I highly doubt AA or any of the US3 have Papiamento speaking FA's.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by andreirublev
On the Dutch side, I don't recall any non-English signage in Philipsburg or near Maho Bay.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Does anyone know if AA is setting up a crew base for pmAA employees at PHL? If a pmAA 757 will be taking over PHL-AMS, that 757 will have to be flown in from somewhere else with a pmAA crew, otherwise. Since there is only one flight to/from AMS in the system. For example, the pmUS 332 flying ORD-DUB is part of a PHL-DUB-ORD-DUB-PHL flight sequence. And the pmAA 763 flying PHL-ZRH is part of a JFK-ZRH-PHL-ZRH-JFK one.
I doubt pmAA is setting up a crew base at PHL for this flight (though of course I don't know for sure). PHL-AMS changes to pmAA on September 7. There will be one daily pmAA 757 (domestic configured) operating MIA-PHL and one daily pmAA 757 (TATL configured) operating BOS-PHL (this is presumably the metal that will operate PHL-AMS). The crew for PHL-AMS could operate inbound on either of these flights (possibly the day before they operate PHL-AMS to allow sufficient duty time)

The 757 BOS-PHL is pmUS operated until September 6, so the switch to pmAA TATL configured metal starting September 7 must be to supply the plane for PHL-AMS. The plane arrives PHL at 4:39pm, about two hours before PHL-AMS departs. The plane goes back to BOS from PHL (starting on September 8) at 3:35pm, two hours after the AMS-PHL plane arrives. The departure/arrival of this plane at BOS syncs perfectly with the timing of the BOS-CDG/CDG-BOS flight which is also a 757, so that appears to be the plane's rotation (though the crew may have a completely different rotation)

ETA: There's also a TATL pmAA 757 on one MIA-BOS, so AA can switch out the metal operating the TATL rotation if needed.

Last edited by ty97; Aug 11, 2016 at 8:49 am
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:40 am

So for how long will AA continue operating non-flat seats on TATL routes? Is it still quite a while yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.