Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (conso

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

We do not have an inkling of what the new AA-US merged Frequent Flyer Program (FFP) will like. Nonetheless, as a topic dear to FlyerTalkers' hearts, people want to discuss the various parameters, motivations and possible outcomes for the new FFP. Please speculate and discuss those various possibilities in this thread. As we hear what the FFP will look like from the new management / management team, we will then open new threads.

And if you are an AA FFP, don't forget to check the US Airways Dividend Miles Forum to see what came about after the reverse takeover of US Airways by America West under the direction of Doug Parker.

Thank you, the American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (conso

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Peter_Ng
As far as i know, N.A. -NRT/HKG- south Asia is always allowed for 67.5k F and 55k J.
If only it was permitted as one award, but it is not. Only Atlantic and Middle east routing is permitted at 90K F, 67.5K J, and 45K Y.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
As far as i know, N.A. -NRT/HKG- south Asia is always allowed for 67.5k F and 55k J. May be you wanna do NA-hkg-Nrt which is not allowed.
That's Southeast Asia, though. South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Maldives) must route via Europe/Middle East with the exception of Sri Lanka, which can go via North or Southeast Asia.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Hopefully with the new FFP comes new routing rules? Not being allowed to go West Coast-NRT/HKG-South Asia is insane (as has been said plenty of times).
I have no information, but given the tenor of the times, I think it is unrealistic to expect that there will be any reductions in the miles charged. (Although possibly the transatlantic mileage to South Asia could be increased to even things out!)

What 'AAdvantage remains AAdvantage' most likely means is that there will be few really major changes. Revenue-based earning would be an example of a major change.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:41 pm

As far as i know, N.A. -NRT/HKG- south Asia is always allowed for 67.5k F and 55k J.
The confusion is with the definition of South Asia. The term is correctly used to describe the Indian subcontinent, NOT Southeast Asia.

United uses awful nonstandard terminology under which Southeast Asia is called South Asia and the Indian subcontinent (South Asia) is called Central Asia. (I forget what they call central Asia.) The AAdvantage names for the regions (Indian subcontinent / Middle East, and Asia Zone 2) are at least unambiguous.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Oct 22, 2014 at 3:48 pm
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:53 pm

I'm excited to hear they will not be murdering the program--I think we were all a little worried that might happen.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
The changes (without knowing any details other than what's posted here) sound "positive," but you bet your ... I'm booking a speculative award trip for the two of us on Cathay F right now. Tons of availability on BOS-HKG 330 days out. I want to believe that AA learned their lesson when they made overnight changes a few months back, but you really never, never know.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If the New AAdvantage is indeed being born March 1st 2015, I would suggest any AA elites who anticipate ending the year with 70K EQMs/EQPs consider a transcon MR to pick up another 5K since I cannot see the program not having four tiers to satisfy those US elites who have earned 75k+ but under 100K to get Platinum Preferred.

Otherwise I don't expect too much of a radical recasting of the AAdvantage we know today. Having requalified for ExecPlat already, I received 8 eVIPs so this element of the program won't be changing (though I suppose AA/UA could put a minimum fare on their eligibility for overseas flights as UA and DL do). And I suspect that the NAmerican upgrading program will be AA's requiring 500s to be used by non-ExecPlats. To assuage US elites AA would likely give them a bunch of 500s to start the year off with, since AA elites have been able to earn them throughout the past year.

Just my speculation proven right or wrong by the end of the month or early next month I suppose.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:28 pm

The real award chart changes already happened. That was the April event where AA was aligned with US 5 tier.

Next is about elite program rules, overall fees, and earning adjustments.

No 'revenue based' now doesn't mean they won't do it the following year.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Citibank
I wonder if the answer doesn't lie with Citibank? They re-branded their cards now have four names/levels:

Gold
Platinum
Platinum Select
Executive
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by onesocalkid
Citibank
I wonder if the answer doesn't lie with Citibank? They re-branded their cards now have four names/levels:

Gold
Platinum
Platinum Select
Executive
I'm not sure how that would relate to the AAdvantage program since those level of cards have no relation to someone's elite status (e.g., someone w/no status can get an Executive Citibank card; I'm an EXP & have a Citi Gold card)
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I'm not sure how that would relate to the AAdvantage program since those level of cards have no relation to someone's elite status (e.g., someone w/no status can get an Executive Citibank card; I'm an EXP & have a Citi Gold card)
Of course (card does not equate status) but the timing and the naming are oddly coincidental.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I don't think citi's move have any relations. It only adds to the confusion if the AA program levels are named similar.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I have no information, but given the tenor of the times, I think it is unrealistic to expect that there will be any reductions in the miles charged. (Although possibly the transatlantic mileage to South Asia could be increased to even things out!)

What 'AAdvantage remains AAdvantage' most likely means is that there will be few really major changes. Revenue-based earning would be an example of a major change.
We've been told not to expect anything radical when the two programs are merged since there are so many key elements to be rationalized in the process, like the number of tiers, how upgrades will work, mileage earning, etc. So adopting the revenue-based model that DL and UA have taken up is not in the cards next year. And since the two award charts were somewhat rationalized earlier this year, I wouldn't expect changes there either.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by onesocalkid
Of course (card does not equate status) but the timing and the naming are oddly coincidental.
Although not every level has been available from Citi at all times, those four names are not anything new. I've had one Platinum Select and one Platinum Citi AAdvantage card since before the merger.

Last edited by DCAstudent; Oct 24, 2014 at 7:29 am Reason: grammar
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Is there actually a difference between "Platinum" and "Platinum Select"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.