Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Old May 9, 2009, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by swag
No, I wouldn't consider it "gaming the system". But there are downsides to booking the roundtrip as 2 separate 1-way awards, most notably, that fees will double (expedite fees if inside 21 days; redeposit fees if you cancel). So, it would be more consumer-friendly to let you mix award types to build a roundtrip.
According to a post on the other site, you can put up to four one-ways on a single PNR and the fees are per PNR. So a roundtrip is identical to two one-ways booked together.
Old May 9, 2009, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kalia960
According to a post on the other site, you can put up to four one-ways on a single PNR and the fees are per PNR. So a roundtrip is identical to two one-ways booked together.
I couldnt possiblity have been aware of that infomation when I posted could I?

mike
Old May 9, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by blug
This is fantastic news. To me, the benefit of one-way award definitely surpasses the disadvantages of no-more-stopover.
Agreed 100%. This is GREAT news!
Old May 9, 2009, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The domestic-gateway stopover on international itinieraries are definitely still allowed.

For destinations that has an "off-peak" award period (Asia1, Europe, and South America 2), this change is also a net positive because, in the past, any award which had any flights in the "peak" period was charged at the higher rate.

Now, you can mix in an off-peak with a regular segment.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another aadvantage is that it is now possible to avoid the one-year within ticketing rule because the return doesn't need to be ticketed at the same time as the outbound (and the off-peak/peak combo is a good thing).

If international gateways were allowed stopovers, I'd be thumbs up. The current uncertainty over routing rules leaves me with mixed feelings (though I see many upsides as well). I also hope this will pressure other airlines to allow one-way awards at a straight 50%. DL/NW allow mixed award combinations, but a one-way can't be booked separately at a reduced cost.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would miss both the domestic stopover and especially the International gateway stopover, but that is life - you gain some you lose some.

This would push us to use OW award more, despite its very restrictive rules.

The one-way award is definitely a plus because now we can do our Transatlantic cruise without either throw away half of the award ticket, or take 2 Transatlantic cruises in same year.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Deltahater
There are no stopovers on NA awards. If EIS counts as NA, then no more SJU parties for you.

If EIS is in a different zone, then you can still do it because SJU counts as an NA gateway
A stopover is defined as a stop for more than 24 hours for itineraries using Mexico, Carribean, or other international awards. So SJU does count as a NA gateway for EIS. Party on!
Old May 10, 2009, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mygirlsmom
A stopover is defined as a stop for more than 24 hours for itineraries using Mexico, Carribean, or other international awards. So SJU does count as a NA gateway for EIS. Party on!
North America awards cover U.S. (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, The Bahamas and the Caribbean.

If EIS is within this area (which it would seem to be) then I wouldn't see how there would be a stopover opportunity

A stopover occurs at 6 hours on an international award itinerary unless there are no flights within that time frame

Dave
Old May 10, 2009, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
North America awards cover U.S. (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, The Bahamas and the Caribbean.

If EIS is within this area (which it would seem to be) then I wouldn't see how there would be a stopover opportunity

A stopover occurs at 6 hours on an international award itinerary unless there are no flights within that time frame

Dave
The definition of a stopover is now different on the one way awards. A stopover is defined as more than 4 hours for itineraries using an award within/between the U.S./Canada/PR/U.S. VI and more than 24 hours for Mexico, Carribean or other international awards. They have seperated SJU and Carribean for the pupose of stopover rules. So I interpret this to mean SJU is an acceptable stopover for EIS.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
This is great! The fact that a one-way trip is only half of the R/T mileage makes it even better. I can see the open jaw option going away because one would just book 2 one-ways. In fact, you could do a LAX-CDG outbound and a MAD-SFO return. As for the stopovers going away, I'd gladly give that up for this new option. And can't you basically just do that by getting a OneWorld zone award that's based on the actual number of miles flown? I know that it is a little bit more mileage than a normal award. But we can't have everything. I don't know which airline I love more now, Continental or American.
Old May 10, 2009, 2:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Huge thumbs down

I appreciate that others appear to welcome the addition of one way awards and don't care about the subtraction of stopovers, but I am the opposite.

Has anyone confirmed that this change applies also to All-Partner awards?

If so, my plans to use my 600k miles were just blown out of the water.

If United does not match American's elimination of a stopover at the international gateway, I will probably try to earn United miles instead of American miles at the margins.
Old May 10, 2009, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Strike as repetitive.

Last edited by mvoight; May 10, 2009 at 3:14 am
Old May 10, 2009, 5:46 am

so let's see if i understand the new rules: planning to use award for travel from JFK to DPS over HKG (AA/Cathay pacific). had been planning to stop two days in HKG since connection is overnight there anyway. now will have to sleep on a bench overnight at HKG or scramble back from hotel to pick up flight to DPS??????
Old May 10, 2009, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I can see the open jaw option going away because one would just book 2 one-ways. In fact, you could do a LAX-CDG outbound and a MAD-SFO return.
Huh? It would make no sense to get rid of the open jaw because one-way pricing means open jaws are automatically allowed.
Old May 10, 2009, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by portflyer
so let's see if i understand the new rules: planning to use award for travel from JFK to DPS over HKG (AA/Cathay pacific). had been planning to stop two days in HKG since connection is overnight there anyway. now will have to sleep on a bench overnight at HKG or scramble back from hotel to pick up flight to DPS??????
It appears we have to wait for the rules. In this case, we can hope that a foreign international gateway is allowed when starting from same. So, the stop in HGK might be doable on the "return" or second award. However, I fear the language will be such as we already know: stopover @ NA gateway for outbound international award and no more. (so one would need 2 awards for JFK-HKG// HGK-DPS)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.