Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by al613
I used one way of r/t award ticket from Europe. Do you think I can cancel return ticket and redeposit second half of the miles?
Worth calling AA to find out. Though I would imagine they say, your award was booked under the old rule, there was no redeposit of miles since travel was started.
Old May 10, 2009, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Honestly, I am not sure if there is any restriction on HOW the one-way is travelled, in order to be eligible for same PNR. It is mentioned you can put up to 4 one-ways on 1 PNR, but no information on whether there is any restriction.
Empirical tests suggest there is no restriction (i.e., I've tried several wacky things without issue and it 'prices' fine).

Yes, rules would be nice!

I dont see many people would just book the outbound eventhough the inbound has no availability, and hoping the availability would eventually show up, if they are not among the 330 days crowd.
It's a common booking technique for award travel, though it's not one I've ever used. The one-way pricing makes this easier.

The maximum length stay requirement being nullified by the one-way booking benefits very few people - just how many folks would use an award to go to a place where they would stay longer than a year?!
Students and others on long-term assignment are one group.

It doesn't necessarily entail staying in the destination for one year.
It is also of utility if, for example, one drives/takes the train one-way and flies the other. I am really happy about the 12.5K one-way US48/Canada award for the ability to return from Amtrak trips. Another use case is for those times when one wants to do a circle trip (even beyond what was once permitted on the 25K award).
Old May 10, 2009, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The one-way to us would be for the Transatlantic cruises - we dont have to throw away half the ticket, or to fully utilize the award ticket, then do the Transatlantic on both directions in same year, like we did last year - Apr sailed FLL to BCN, and then Oct sailed VCE to FLL.

But I still would rather have the stopovers. It is more valuable in terms of $ saved, than the one-way feature.

Try this itinerary, FLL-DFW-ANC, YVR-DFW-JAC, JAC-DFW-FLL - a mere 25K under the old rule but would cost $900 if pay, thanks to the expensive JAC.
Old May 10, 2009, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I still would rather have the stopovers. It is more valuable in terms of $ saved, than the one-way feature.
I don't disagree.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kalia960
I agree.

An agent told me today that they were doing a "soft rollout", but while that is OK for good changes (one-way fares), it would be remarkably discourteous of AA to implement a bad change (such as adding luggage check-in fees, or eliminating award stopovers) secretly and without advance notice.
Completely agree. This change without any advance notification shows complete disrespect for the pax. While I am ecstatic about the one-way awards, I would be miffed if I were planning a stop-over and overnight I were no longer able to do so. It's a bit perplexing.
Old May 10, 2009, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
A little too late for me - maybe next time

As I am retired, I am fortunate to be able to travel for longer than 1 month.
2 years running now I had to book the outbound flight in J when first available and later when I wanted to change my "fake" return to the real one (and be able to keep my original outbound) I had to go through a supervisor who redeposited the miles and issued new tickets (Thank you). Each time it cost me $150/pp but I was happy as each time my outbound flight would not have been available if I had waited.
Now I can book the one way outbound and wait till the correct return date and book it - saves me $300. Too bad about the stopovers though.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:14 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
This change seems to undermine the way I mostly travel. For example, my mid-May LAX – CDG then AMS – LAX with a three day stopover in LHR looks to be dearer, miles-wise, if I understand correctly what has been taken away. However, one benefit is that when only coach is available one way you can cash miles for that portion, and redeem more miles for the available upgraded portion, so there’s less wastage.

That said, I think that I liked things how they were....with the exception of the ability to make multi-city awards on-line to avoid the telephone fees. That change is way overdue, and does sweeten this a tad.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:18 am

USA Today article
Old May 11, 2009, 12:23 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Wow, hard hitting investigative reporting from USA Today…so it’s all good. Or, did they just have AA’s PR department write the piece to save money?
Old May 11, 2009, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Jailer
Wow, hard hitting investigative reporting from USA Today…so it’s all good. Or, did they just have AA’s PR department write the piece to save money?
LOL, exactly. Withou the P.R, not sure there would even be a story. That said, they have that Ben Mutzabaugh guy over there (Today in the Sky blog-USA Today), and maybe when he gets in the office Monday morning he'll pick up where the article left off - in particular, the concerns brought up in this thread about open-jaws going bye-bye.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by mikensf74
- in particular, the concerns brought up in this thread about open-jaws going bye-bye.
???
Old May 11, 2009, 2:22 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
LOL, exactly. Withou the P.R, not sure there would even be a story. That said, they have that Ben Mutzabaugh guy over there (Today in the Sky blog-USA Today), and maybe when he gets in the office Monday morning he'll pick up where the article left off - in particular, the concerns brought up in this thread about open-jaws going bye-bye.

And how does this change effect open jaws?

one way award LAX-MAD

one way award LHR-LAX?

If no increase over 1/2 of rt, what is the loss?
Old May 11, 2009, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Come on. There is never anything worthwhile reading at the McPaper aka USAtoday. The paper can be used best at toilets.
Old May 11, 2009, 6:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by holtju2
Come on. There is never anything worthwhile reading at the McPaper aka USAtoday. The paper can be used best at toilets.
How about this one in today's Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,4213971.story
Old May 11, 2009, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Here's what we get:
- Book one-way awards
- Combine saver & anytime levels in one ticket
- Combine coach & premium levels in one ticket
- Combine peak & off-peak levels in one ticket
- Book outbound & return at different times, avoiding hassles over Holds, when booking a long trip 330 out
- Book multi-destination awards online (avoiding phone fee)
- Stop over at US gateway city on both outbound & return

What we lose:
- Stopovers except for US gateway

I'm sure AA has all kinds of stats that most awards for travel (not counting upgrade awards which are unchanged) are for A-B-A rondtrips. There's no doubt that the Flyertalker is more likely than the general member to use stopovers on awards, so we may be more affected by this than most.

With any program change, if there is even the smallest change for the worse included, then there will be some pax for whom the change is overall negative. But this one, on balance, for most passengers, seems to be an overall improvement.

The change isn't perfect, but overall, I have to give AA a thumbs-up on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.