Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by portflyer
now will have to sleep on a bench overnight at HKG or scramble back from hotel to pick up flight to DPS??????
The regal hotel is directly connected to Terminal 1 and great for an overnight. Since would be able to check bags all the way to DPS even with the overnight plus get boarding passes, would not be bad especially since the flight to DPS isnt an early morning departure but goes at 10am. No need to "scramble" from the hotel
Old May 10, 2009, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by calhk
Of course I would never book such an itinerary.
I just show it as an example that no free international stopover is allowed.
. Yes ^No International Stop-over^ is a BIG deal with me 4+ million AA miles. What is the purpose of anagonizing their best customers. A free stop-over is really ^No skin off their back ^. However we should realize 1 Aadvantage ( punt intended) and that is double open jaws. Does not make up for loss of Stop-over but is a mitigating factor. Hopefully low-fare carriers can be used between the each of the open jaws. LAX - CDG Open Jaw J BRU - JFK with a cheap PAR - BRU ( bus) and JFK - LAX ( Always good O/W fares ( Virgin/JetBlue/AA)
Old May 10, 2009, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beerup
Therefore, not being able to book an international stopover on AA.com does not necessarily preclude that it would be available by phone.
The other site already clarify the stopover issue - basically the ONLY stopover still remains, is the North America gateway on an international itinerary originated from US.

No international gateway stopover, no domestic stopover.
Old May 10, 2009, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
. Yes me 4+ million AA miles. What is the purpose of anagonizing their best customers.
4 million miles does not automatically make you one of AA's best customers.

I'm sure that AA had its reasons. If this means that you fly AA less then so be it.
Old May 10, 2009, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by aceflyer2
The no intl. stopovers is a big negative for me as well. The value of the FF program continues to be eroded!
For my travel patterns, it's a tradeoff. A trip I just completed two weeks ago for 135k is now 170k because of the lack of int'l stopovers. But, I see a great benefit being added in being able to mix and match business and first, and/or Saver and AAnytime awards. I've used the split award feature on CO/NW several times and it can make all the difference when trying to book awards during popular periods when you can only get the saver award in one direction, and don't want to waste the double miles just to pick up the other segment.
Old May 10, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
The hidden twist!

Yes, you can book one way and also can do mix and match. BUT, guess what boys and girls...try booking miles one way and cash the other way, prices are all over the board for cash trip. I was looking at a ORD-EYW flight outbound using cash. Price is $164 if I use cash both ways, but try a one way and price goes to $261. The $164 also changes if I try a RT with cash but come back say on a Saturday instead of Sunday. Return might be down to $224 but OB goes to $181!
Old May 10, 2009, 3:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Well yes.... but BA's awards are sort of the equivalent of AA All partners awards but there is no milage based ( so named ' Oneworld award' by AA) in their repertoire.. now ask me which one I prefer?
Viva le diference.

mike
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...g/public/en_us

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...r/public/en_us
Old May 10, 2009, 3:43 pm
Suspended

I hadnt seen those .. but now that I have seen them I might never want to look at them again
...OOOOOF the two OW awards I redeemed for 460k AA miles would have cost 720k BA MILES ( which are on the whole harder to accumulate)

mike
Old May 10, 2009, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I definitely see and agree with where AA is going with this. I don't think it is a good idea (from an airline's perspective) to allow BOTH one-ways and stopovers in the same award. Sure, some say it costs AA nothing, but that may or may not be the case, especially with partners. Fact is, if you start allowing one-way awards with free stopovers it could get out of hand quickly.

The point of an AA or all-partner award is to allow you to travel using miles from A to Z. If you want to stop at B, C, D, and F then you have those options available to you (OneWorld Award) or *gasp* pay for the ticket with $$$. Just my .02
Old May 10, 2009, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The regal hotel is directly connected to Terminal 1 and great for an overnight.
Geographically convenient, perhaps, but reviews indicate that it is a pit, and an overpriced one, at that, what with its more or less monopoly. I recently had to overnight in HKG with a 0930 departure the next morning (CX 830). Stayed at the W Kowloon. Very convenient, upstairs from the Kowloon station of airport express. It was an incredibly cool hotel, a blast to stay at, and all for less than the Regal. Recommend you give it a shot.
Old May 10, 2009, 4:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Geographically convenient, perhaps, but reviews indicate that it is a pit, and an overpriced one, at that, what with its more or less monopoly. I recently had to overnight in HKG with a 0930 departure the next morning (CX 830). Stayed at the W Kowloon. Very convenient, upstairs from the Kowloon station of airport express. It was an incredibly cool hotel, a blast to stay at, and all for less than the Regal. Recommend you give it a shot.
I agree that the Regal has been historically overpriced but maybe it's no longer a pit:

http://www.etravelblackboard.com/sho...nav=1&id=78815

As a SPG fanatic, the W Kowloon sounds like a better option.
Old May 10, 2009, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by denCSA
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I definitely see and agree with where AA is going with this. I don't think it is a good idea (from an airline's perspective) to allow BOTH one-ways and stopovers in the same award. Sure, some say it costs AA nothing, but that may or may not be the case, especially with partners. Fact is, if you start allowing one-way awards with free stopovers it could get out of hand quickly.

The point of an AA or all-partner award is to allow you to travel using miles from A to Z. If you want to stop at B, C, D, and F then you have those options available to you (OneWorld Award) or *gasp* pay for the ticket with $$$. Just my .02
While this may be true, there may be a position between these two extremes. AA did not allow unlimited stopovers at B, C, D, and F before on AA or partner awards. Would one stopover in a one-way be excessive? Also, it seems to me that it would be reasonable to limit the duration of the stopover, so that it isn't a three month stopover. I see no problem in allowing one stopover of up to 24 hours in a domestic one-way.
Old May 10, 2009, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zacktravel
Yes, you can book one way and also can do mix and match. BUT, guess what boys and girls...try booking miles one way and cash the other way, prices are all over the board for cash trip. I was looking at a ORD-EYW flight outbound using cash. Price is $164 if I use cash both ways, but try a one way and price goes to $261. The $164 also changes if I try a RT with cash but come back say on a Saturday instead of Sunday. Return might be down to $224 but OB goes to $181!
I dont understand your logic about the pay portion.

Isn't it in most cases, a r/t is cheaper than a one-way, on a PAY TICKET? Also the days of the week always have pricing differentials among them - hence the Tue/Wed always the cheapest of the days to travel, and the weekends always more expensive.

The current changes, AFAIK, are all related to Awards, not related to Pay Ticket.

Unless you have found new information that AA now is going the way QF does, that all flights are priced at one-way... Otherwise, what you have found is nothing unusual and you just mix oranges with apples.
Old May 10, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: AS, Hyatt
I am surprised that no one is talking about the WAY the rules were changed. Isn't this the first time AA changed the rules FIRST, and THEN told us about it? For example, last summer, they gave us a few months advance notice when they changed how OneWorld award routings were calculated.
Old May 10, 2009, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemac
While this may be true, there may be a position between these two extremes. AA did not allow unlimited stopovers at B, C, D, and F before on AA or partner awards. Would one stopover in a one-way be excessive? Also, it seems to me that it would be reasonable to limit the duration of the stopover, so that it isn't a three month stopover. I see no problem in allowing one stopover of up to 24 hours in a domestic one-way.
Under the old rules, you can have only 1 stopover, on a r/t ticket but the stopover can be taken on either direction.

Now AA changed it to one-way ticket, it would be a major improvement to allow stopover on the one-way because now you would be getting more than before.

My feeling is, the changes are slightly negative to most people because most people do trips in a r/t fashion and a free stopover is much more useful than booking a r/t as 2 one-ways. Though the ability to mix awards is positive (improved availability).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.