Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2009, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by justforfun
Completely agree. This change without any advance notification shows complete disrespect for the pax. While I am ecstatic about the one-way awards, I would be miffed if I were planning a stop-over and overnight I were no longer able to do so. It's a bit perplexing.
Yes this is the aspect that disturbs me more than a little. This is one of the big reasons I'm moving business away from NW-Delta since the merger. Is AA going to become just like Delta? By my calculations the value of a WorldPerks or Skymiles mile has been reduced by about 50% in the last year and Elite benefit reductions have come one after other, often without warning. Very upset to see this change come without any advanced warning from AA.
Old May 11, 2009, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by swag
The change isn't perfect, but overall, I have to give AA a thumbs-up on this one.

For the vast majority of AA miles earners who collect for round trips to Hawaii or to visit relatives on the other side of the country it has no real meaning - they'll still be booking round trips.

based on history it would be slightly negative for me - an extra $500 a head due to the loss of a stopover on one vacation, versus the ability to book an open jaw on line instead of paying the phone fees and a little more flexibility to mix milesaver with anytime awards.

One question I have is what's in it for AA? I can't yet see much gain to repay the investment?
Old May 11, 2009, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paulchili
As I am retired, I am fortunate to be able to travel for longer than 1 month.
2 years running now I had to book the outbound flight in J when first available and later when I wanted to change my "fake" return to the real one (and be able to keep my original outbound) I had to go through a supervisor who redeposited the miles and issued new tickets (Thank you). Each time it cost me $150/pp but I was happy as each time my outbound flight would not have been available if I had waited.
Now I can book the one way outbound and wait till the correct return date and book it - saves me $300. Too bad about the stopovers though.
Date & time changes have always been free; why were you paying $150/pp and why did you needed a supervisor to redeposit and re-issue the award?
Originally Posted by justforfun
I would be miffed if I were planning a stop-over and overnight I were no longer able to do so. It's a bit perplexing.
It sounds like you don't fully understand the changes. You can certainly construct an award ticket that includes an international stopover. It may cost somewhat more miles, but it's hardly "complete disrespect."

Example: I did a JFK-LHR-CPT r/t on BA in F recently, with a stopover in LHR. It was 200k miles r/t. Under the new rules, you'd have to do a JFK-LHR (for 50% of 125k) + LHR-CPT (50% of 100k) + CPT-JFK (50% of 200k) = 212,500 miles. A whopping 12,500 additional miles.
Old May 11, 2009, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikensf74
Originally Posted by USA Today
Called One-Way Flex Awards, the change lets AAdvantage members:
<snip>
  • Split an award trip between American and one of its 20 AAdvantage program partner airlines. Previously, awards trips had to be completed entirely on American or entirely on one of its partners.
Um, what in the world are they talking about?
Old May 11, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
It sounds like you don't fully understand the changes. You can certainly construct an award ticket that includes an international stopover. It may cost somewhat more miles, but it's hardly "complete disrespect."
Thanks. I do understand the changes. While the increase in miles needed may be insignificant to you, to others it may not be. The increase may represent a small percentage of the award you cited as an example, but for different itineraries the increase is a much higher percentage.

While I am thrilled about AA's initiative to evolve AAdvantage, changing the rules overnight is not the professional way to conduct business.

AA was able to announce the new amenity kits months before they were available, but not a significant change to AAdvantage?!?!
Old May 11, 2009, 8:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
How about this one in today's Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,4213971.story
The USA Today and Chicago Tribune articles both have inaccuracies in them.

The Chicago Tribune says:

American is playing catch-up to Delta Air Lines, US Airways, Midwest and Alaska Airlines, which all allow frequent fliers to book one-way tickets.
Delta Airlines does not allow one-way award tickets unless willing to pay the roundtrip award ticket cost in miles.
Old May 11, 2009, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by gemac
I book (fairly regularly) STL-OGG R/T, sometimes paid, sometimes on award tix. I dislike (intensely) red-eye flights. In the past, I have been able to book STL-LAX-OGG(X)-LAX(X)-STL. There is a nice afternoon flight that leaves OGG at 2 P.M., arrives in LAX at 10:20. The other AA flights from OGG are to LAX departing 9:10 P.M. arriving LAX 5:15 A.M. and to DFW departing 4:55 P.M. arriving 5:00 A.M. In the past, I had no problem booking (either as an award or as a paid ticket) the 2 P.M. from OGG-LAX, getting off in LAX, checking into a hotel, and going LAX-STL the next morning. Now, the only flights that appear LAX-STL are redeyes connecting in DFW (departing 12:10) or ORD (departing 11:55)... Either way, a sleepless night. .
Wouldn't the 2 PM be the last flight in to LAX that day so you could catch the first flight out in the morning, not be a stop over, and maybe attempt to get a CFC after you arrive in LAX for something later than the 6:xx flight the next morning?
Old May 11, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by swag
But this one, on balance, for most passengers, seems to be an overall improvement.

What do you base your assessment on? It appears that here on FT, more people seem like like the change, but that is a very small sample size and really not a foundation for making a statement like that.
Old May 11, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
So stopovers aren't allowed...
But if I'm going to CDG and being routed through LHR would it be allowed then?
Thanks
Old May 11, 2009, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alien
Wouldn't the 2 PM be the last flight in to LAX that day so you could catch the first flight out in the morning, not be a stop over, and maybe attempt to get a CFC after you arrive in LAX for something later than the 6:xx flight the next morning?
The first flights our are the redeyes to DFW or ORD, connecting there to STL. Getting an overnight using last flight in-first flight out only works when there are no intervening flights that serve as a valid routing to your destination.
Old May 11, 2009, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Deltahater
What do you base your assessment on? It appears that here on FT, more people seem like like the change, but that is a very small sample size and really not a foundation for making a statement like that.
As I noted, it's obviously subjective and will vary by person. But I assume that FTers are more experienced & more knowledgeable than the average member, travel internationally more, and are more likely to know how to squeeze maximum value from their miles. Thus, more likely to have been using the stopovers on awards. So if FTers are generally in favor of the changes, overall, then I suspect the general public would feel even more so.
Old May 11, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by pkerr
So stopovers aren't allowed...
But if I'm going to CDG and being routed through LHR would it be allowed then?
Thanks

Yes, the routing choices have not changed. You can still travel via LHR, just not stay there longer than 24 hours any more.
Old May 11, 2009, 9:26 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thumbs up A North America Program Game Changer

I feel very gratified that either American is listening or they finally got smart
A number of times over the past few years I spoke with AA Customer Servive and Dallas HQ directly urging them to do so. This way they could be better aligned with other One World partner programs.This will definately increase my business with AA
Now I will be more likely to buy the majority of my tickets from AA and combine it with an award when a fare may be too high.Thus not using a competing carrier and its program.Congrats AA ^^^
From one of the best programs in the world :-::-::-::-::-:
Old May 11, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Negative

For me, these changes are a negative. I rarely have a need for a one way award, and have rarely been unable to find availability in the desired award class both ways.

75% of my award travel has been in J or F to Asia, with a stopover in Tokyo on the way. Fares out of NRT are high, so paying for the leg between NRT and wherever the final destination may be, particularly in something other than coach, will add a significant cost to a "free" trip.

Old May 11, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Yes, the routing choices have not changed. You can still travel via LHR, just not stay there longer than 24 hours any more.
Thanks for the info...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.