Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
That "restriction" can be very beneficial at times.

Your beef should be with LA for not having a fare that allows a connection in MEX. LA does indeed publish an ORD -> LIM through fare, but the routing rules of that fare do not include MEX.
It's the arbitrariness of it all that really gets me.

Now what are my chances of persuading them to start publishing such a fare... 0.0000001%? Well maybe I'll try anyway. I wonder how they decide on such matters.

Can you provide the current routing rules of the fare? It might help me ever so slightly in my quest.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Random Flyer
Can you provide the current routing rules of the fare? It might help me ever so slightly in my quest.
1. CHI-AA-DFW-AA-MIA-LA/LP-LIM
2. CHI-AA-MIA-LA/LP-LIM
3. CHI-AA-NYC-LA-LIM
4. CHI-AA/LA/LP-MIA-LA/LP-LIM
5. CHI-B6-NYC-LA-LIM
6. CHI-LA/LP-MIA-LA/LP-LIM
7. CHI-UA-MIA-LA/LP-LIM
8. CHI-UA-NYC-LA-LIM
9. CHI-US-CLT-US-MIA-LA/LP-LIM
10. CHI-US-MIA-LA/LP-LIM

You clearly cannot use some of those routings on an AA award because the listed airline is not an AA partner.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 4:56 pm

using AA miles to visit Buenos Aires?

I have been trying to book a flight from New York City to Buenos Aires in late August/early September using my AA miles for the last few months. So far, I can get down there for 20,000 miles but there do not seem to be any return flights available for less than 60,000 on either AA or LAN.

Is it likely that more seats will open up for fewer miles later in the summer?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:39 pm

1. CHI-AA-DFW-AA-MIA-LA/LP-LIM
2. CHI-AA-MIA-LA/LP-LIM
3. CHI-AA-NYC-LA-LIM
4. CHI-AA/LA/LP-MIA-LA/LP-LIM
5. CHI-B6-NYC-LA-LIM
6. CHI-LA/LP-MIA-LA/LP-LIM
7. CHI-UA-MIA-LA/LP-LIM
8. CHI-UA-NYC-LA-LIM
9. CHI-US-CLT-US-MIA-LA/LP-LIM
10. CHI-US-MIA-LA/LP-LIM

You clearly cannot use some of those routings on an AA award because the listed airline is not an AA partner.
Thanks for this.Very interesting!

So am I following this correctly? - For AA award travel on LAN from ORD to LIM via MIA, the only options are: ORD-MIA-LIM, ORD-DFW-MIA-LIM, or ORD-NYC-LIM. No other options, right? (I'm not counting OW awards, etc.)
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Remsam
I have been trying to book a flight from New York City to Buenos Aires in late August/early September using my AA miles for the last few months. So far, I can get down there for 20,000 miles but there do not seem to be any return flights available for less than 60,000 on either AA or LAN.

Is it likely that more seats will open up for fewer miles later in the summer?
The best answer you will get here is a Definite Maybe. Emphasis on the Maybe.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Random Flyer
So am I following this correctly? - For AA award travel on LAN from ORD to LIM via MIA, the only options are: ORD-MIA-LIM, ORD-DFW-MIA-LIM, or ORD-NYC-LIM. No other options, right? (I'm not counting OW awards, etc.)
Assuming you want MIA to be your North American gateway and that you will use LA for
MIA -> LIM, these are your options using AA miles:

ORD -> DFW (AA) -> MIA (AA) -> LIM (LA)
ORD -> MIA (AA) -> LIM (LA)
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Remsam
An alternative is to return from MVD instead of EZE.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:07 am

Assuming you want MIA to be your North American gateway and that you will use LA for
MIA -> LIM, these are your options using AA miles:

ORD -> DFW (AA) -> MIA (AA) -> LIM (LA)
ORD -> MIA (AA) -> LIM (LA)
Sorry, my post was poorly writtem. I did not mean to specify MIA as the required gateway. Actually I don't care what gateway is used.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:07 am

Trying to get a milesaver award from DTW to NRT roundtrip, but can only find the lesser award on the way there.

Any airline is fine for the trip back to DTW, anyone have any tips or know of any mileage saver awards for the return flight I might not have been able to locate?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Also remember that NONE of these searches include expanded EXP availability. If you're EXP, it's worth the call. While not a given, I have had expanded availability help me in J for ORD-CDG. Went from 1 available to 2 when I called.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:13 am

Decided to run my own simple test comparing AA and UA domestic coach availability on nonstops. Selected two routes giving each airline a double-hub stranglehold route. Used ORD as its a common hub and also my hometown. Checked availability over 7 days. Oct 8-14. Mostly a random pick of days, though I was thinking of vacationing then. Only selected flights available for 12.5K miles. Checked total number of nonstops, number of days with a nonstop available, and minimum number of nonstops on days with availability.

UA DFW-ORD 25 flights, 7 days minimum of 2 flights per day
AA DFW-ORD 15 Flights, 5 days minimum of 1 flight per day
UA IAH-ORD 54 flights, 7 days minimum of 3 flights per day
AA IAH-ORD 4 flights, 2 days minimum of 1 flight per day

Conclusion: UA had 79 flights compared to 19 on AA. A little more than 4 times as much. UA also had availability to both markets every single day. AA only averaged flights every other day. No surprise to me that UA was much better than AA as that is what I generally notice. AA even lost on its DFW-ORD route which it dominates and has a countless number of flights on.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:34 am

More tests:

IAH-LAX on UA vs. DFW-LAX on AA. Aug 13-19.
IAH-LAX UA 58 flights, 7 days, min. 6 per day
DFW-LAX AA 9 flights, 7 days, min. 1 per day

IAH-MCO on UA vs. DFW-MCO on AA. July 2-8
IAH-MCO UA 5 flights, 3 days, min 1 per day
DFW-MCO AA 10 flights, 3 days, min 3 per day

IAH-MSP on UA vs. DFW-MSP on AA. Nov 19-25
IAH-MSP UA 13 flights, 6 days, min 1 per day.
DFW-MSP AA 12 flights, 2 days, min 6 per day.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hindukid
Conclusion: UA had 79 flights compared to 19 on AA. A little more than 4 times as much. UA also had availability to both markets every single day. AA only averaged flights every other day. No surprise to me that UA was much better than AA as that is what I generally notice. AA even lost on its DFW-ORD route which it dominates and has a countless number of flights on.
Thanks for doing this and posting!
I started to compile a list of awards on the route I have so much trouble with this year and it was so slow loading each AA calendar page that I gave up after viewing about 6 months' worth and didn't have the energy to look at other airlines! But it's helpful to have a general sense, per your posts.
Appreciate it, thanks.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:03 pm

I was told that AA refreshes it's award inventory at 12:00am CST and that JAL refreshes it's award inventory at 1:00am JST.

Does anyone know if that means I should call AA at 12:00am CST or 1:00am JST to check for JAL award seats bookable with AA miles?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: American, United
Bankruptcy Does Matter

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
That's an interesting idea that has had me thinking since I first read it a few days ago. If I were a secured creditor of AA, how would I view an increase or decrease in AA's FF miles liability? While you could say that AA's FF miles liability is not only unsecured but can even be eliminated at any time (by AA just shutting down AAdvantage), obviously it isn't that easy and you could view the liability as of the highest order of priority since it really can never be shut down as a practical matter. UCC filings, meet the real world.

Back to award availability, maybe someone at AA thinks holding back awards will lead to increased sales. At the margins, this would appear to be correct but since they've already incorporated that thinking into sophisticated revenue enhancement models, you'd think squeezing awards even more would just push customers elsewhere.
As a financial employee hired on to help two large companies work through bankruptcy and I can say that from my experience 1) Short-term priorities during the BK process outweigh almost all long-term priorities even if it hacks off customers and key vendors. 2) Immediate cash outweighs increasing long-term liabilities. Bankruptcy Advisors want to prove to the Creditor groups and to the Bankruptcy Judge they can increase operating cash flow even if it is a short-term effect. I think this is one of the ways the highly compensated advisors validate their value.

As JohnAx countered Austinrunner's point that American does not believe award passengers take away seats from revenue passengers, "AA is working especially hard to make sure in the current climate to make sure that remains the case". Knowing the process, I concur. Simply put, award passengers provide little or no cash flow so they are not a priority in the short run. This was definitely the case during the United bankruptcy and I believe now the case with American. Find ways to increase revenue and don't give away as many seats regardless if they would go unused.

I think there is a deluge of anectodal evidence here that strongly suggests 2012 will be a terrible year for AAdvantage members. I know if American provides quantitative evidence about award use in public statements that it is most likely validated. Qualitative statements such as "does not believe" are not worth much and at best can be categorized as spin, marketing or whatever. My guess is American will not offer any quantitative statements about 2012 award use next year and offer some vague points that the AAdvantage program continued to be a leading airline customer-loyalty program in 2012....blah, blah, blah.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.