Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club membership discounts / discount - aren't they wonderful...

Admirals Club membership discounts / discount - aren't they wonderful...

Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lobo411
So this thread starts with a mention of the idea that if a gold makes plat within 30 days of joining, he gets a refund of the difference in prices between gold and platinum. But the t and c on the website say pricing is based on status at purchase time. Which is it? There are do many unstated benefits at aa that I trust ft over aa.com any day!

Ps apologies if this is covered mid thread, but I'm on my mobile and ft is almost too much for the phone to handle. Too many scripts! I'm thinking of joining the ac today after I land from the flight I'm about to take off on.
The post you are referencing is over four years old. The poster was asked multiple times to link his source and did not. If you have enough flights ticketed to get you to Platinum, ask at the AC when you land if they can sign you up for the Platinum rate.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Last Day For 20% Discount

Heads up to any buyers out there. Today is the last day to use the LIFE discount code for new members. Signed up yesterday at an AC for only $280. Great deal. And it's only $40 more for a Platinum AAdvantage member.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Has anyone ever managed to get a renewal discount as a result of a particular AC closing? I'm thinking specifically of the SJC closure. That one AC accounted for about half of my domestic usage until it closed, so I'm debating whether it's actually worth renewing.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by gemac
The post you are referencing is over four years old. The poster was asked multiple times to link his source and did not. If you have enough flights ticketed to get you to Platinum, ask at the AC when you land if they can sign you up for the Platinum rate.
Ya I ended up asking at the ac and they said no retroactive status credit. Also they said they can only apply one discount per member, so I couldn't use the day pass credit. So the price came out to $360 if I join now, and $350 ($400-$50 daypass credit) if I wait.

Now i'm thinking about doing the amex platinum card. They have a promo for 50000 points when you join and spend $1k in three months, which I can use for $500 in amazon giftcards. That might be a better deal for me since the first year annual fee comes out to pretty much zero.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by lobo411
Ya I ended up asking at the ac and they said no retroactive status credit. Also they said they can only apply one discount per member, so I couldn't use the day pass credit. So the price came out to $360 if I join now, and $350 ($400-$50 daypass credit) if I wait.

Now i'm thinking about doing the amex platinum card. They have a promo for 50000 points when you join and spend $1k in three months, which I can use for $500 in amazon giftcards. That might be a better deal for me since the first year annual fee comes out to pretty much zero.
Having just done this, the 50000 points are worth it, the $200 may or may not be usable for 500-milers (I assert they are, but will likely have to fight for it) and while you get AC access, you do NOT get Wifi usage or drink certs (the free booze is still free, but no top-shelf chits, etc.).

Considering the cost of WiFi alone (best deal is $20/month for AT&T Wifi Premium w/Roaming which allows access to T-Mobile), that's $240 I'd be out of pocket just for WiFi.

I use the other benefits of the Amex Plat, so it's still worthwhile, but if the ONLY reason you want it is for AC access, and you care about better alcohol and use of WiFi, you're better off buying a membership - much cheaper than the AF on Plat.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Heads up to any buyers out there. Today is the last day to use the LIFE discount code for new members. Signed up yesterday at an AC for only $280. Great deal. And it's only $40 more for a Platinum AAdvantage member.
BUT Dec 31, 2010 is the last day for the NYE 20% discount, so procrastinators can wait two more weeks to buy.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:03 pm

If I want to add my spouse to AC membership, do I still need to pay that $50 initiation fee? Or can I use the renewal with spouse price?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:15 pm

I went with the amex plat card because they approved me unexpectedly. I only made $14000 last year as an academic an I'm unemployed, so I didn't think i'd be approved.

Aa screwed themselves out of my money to be honest. I had my credit card out at the lga ac and was ready to buy. But they said that I can't use both the 20% off and the $50 daypass credit. I saw the daypass as a down payment on the membership (which is my interpretation of how they sell it.)

Edit: on a whim , I decided to call the ac service number that came with my daypass email. The girl applied all three discounts...she priced me as plat, 20% off, and $50 daypass credit.

So now i'm an ac member and a amex plat holder. I dunno. The amex plat is free because they give you $500 worth of credits, but I doubt I can justify paying the $450 annual fee even if I'm struck by lightning and manage to land a job. I figured the renewal on the ac.would be cheaper than the annual fee over the long haul.

Last edited by lobo411; Dec 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm
Old Dec 21, 2010, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm trying to renew my membership on line using Promotional Cose D25 ($25 off if renewed on line by 12/31). Where do you put in the promotion code. Is it after the renewal screen where you agree to rules and conditions (which I don't want to forward to not knowing if the membership would then renew without the promotional code.)
Old Dec 21, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
I renewed today at my home base - (go DCA!). ^ Took a few times to get the D25 renewal code to work (try 8 times), but it finally took - $275.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: Executive Platinum
It worked for me the first time. I do not recall when the promotion code option was presented, but it was very obvious. You are asked to put in any code that might apply.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Actually, the DCA AAngel processed everything and was having the problem. it all worked out.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by biggreen
BUT Dec 31, 2010 is the last day for the NYE 20% discount, so procrastinators can wait two more weeks to buy.
This is a reminder for anyone who was thinking of taking advantage of this offer before the end of the year. You have one day left to do so.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:14 pm

does anyone know if i can add a spouse to my AC membership at my reduced rate? i already renewed but would like to add someone.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Any new codes for 2011? Mine expires next month.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.