Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Note: this thread is an archive of older and obsolete posts regarding the AA lounge at GRU – Aeroporto Internacional de São Paulo in at São Paulo, Brazil.

For the current thread on the new oneworld lounge in GRU Terminal 3, please see:
NEW (2014) GRU / Sao Paulo Admirals Club (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: GRU / Sao Paulo Admirals Club (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
So 2017. Gotcha. LATAM lounge better than the executive lounge they offer? Can I get in the LATAM lounge on a AA boarding pass?
Old May 20, 2015, 1:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
So 2017. Gotcha. LATAM lounge better than the executive lounge they offer? Can I get in the LATAM lounge on a AA boarding pass?
Information on the new LATAM lounge is in the wiki, and as it's a oneworld lounge, you can certainly access it with your AA boarding pass as long as you meet oneworld lounge access criteria.

The Club will open "amanhã".
Old May 20, 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Information on the new LATAM lounge is in the wiki, and as it's a oneworld lounge, you can certainly access it with your AA boarding pass as long as you meet oneworld lounge access criteria.

The Club will open "amanhã".
I only ask because despite the info when I went thru there last time (when the AA club was still open two weeks before closure) I was denied entry to the LATAM club. And still denied despite showing OW criteria online.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:11 pm

I only ask because despite the info when I went thru there last time (when the AA club was still open two weeks before closure) I was denied entry to the LATAM club. And still denied despite showing OW criteria online.
Interesting! As I set up the Lounge Dashboard wiki, I did research the lounges prior to building the wikis to template.

The "Executive Lounge" shows restrictions, as it's a third party lounge:

Operated by a third party. May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: American Airlines, British Airways, Qatar Airways
The LATAM / LAN TAM VIP Lounge ("LATAM Airlines Group's first joint VIP lounge,") shows no such restrictions in the oneworld lounge information on oneworld.com; it shows as a standard oneworld lounge, though it shows logos for LAN, TAM and Iberia.

Someone's not playing with a full deck here; it TAM personnel decided to block qualified oneworld members on any other than an exceeded capacity basis, they're violating their agreement with oneworld, IMO.

LAN says (link):

Disfruta junto a un invitado más de 600 salones VIP de LAN y de las aerolíneas de la alianza oneworld. Este beneficio puede ser utilizado por el socio titular (Emerald o Sapphire) y acompañante, sólo si ambos viajan en vuelos operados por LAN o por aerolíneas de la alianza oneworld, sin importar la clase en la que viaje el socio.
and

Desfrute junto com um convidado as mais de 600 salas VIP da LAN e das linhas aéreas da aliança oneworld. Este benefício pode ser utilizado pelo membro titular (Emerald o Sapphire) e acompanhante, apenas se ambos viajarem em voos operados pela LAN ou pelas linhas aéreas da aliança oneworld, qualquer que seja a classe em que viajar o associado.
No ambiguity there.

Last edited by JDiver; May 20, 2015 at 2:18 pm
Old May 20, 2015, 4:25 pm

Interesting! As I set up the Lounge Dashboard wiki, I did research the lounges prior to building the wikis to template.

The "Executive Lounge" shows restrictions, as it's a third party lounge:

The LATAM / LAN TAM VIP Lounge ("LATAM Airlines Group's first joint VIP lounge,") shows no such restrictions in the oneworld lounge information on oneworld.com; it shows as a standard oneworld lounge, though it shows logos for LAN, TAM and Iberia.

Someone's not playing with a full deck here; it TAM personnel decided to block qualified oneworld members on any other than an exceeded capacity basis, they're violating their agreement with oneworld, IMO.

LAN says (link):

and

No ambiguity there.
I wonder if it changed when the AA club closed? I have been denied at some clubs when an AA club is present in the airport. I will try again in a week. And they are sure holding EVIP UPGs to the last possible second.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:07 pm

I wonder if it changed when the AA club closed? I have been denied at some clubs when an AA club is present in the airport. I will try again in a week. And they are sure holding EVIP UPGs to the last possible second.
Good luck.

You might try printing out in Prtuguese what their own site states, and inquire why they are not honoring what's on their and oneworld's websites, if you feel up to it.

At least there's the alternative of the contract lounge.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:35 pm

Thanks for the input! I'll let anyone who cares know the outcome.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Data Point: I flew from GRU - DFW in J (via SWU) yesterday and no issues using TAM lounge. I asked AA check in agent about using it (after she prompted me on GRU lounge) and she said whatever is my choice. The TAM folks did a boarding call for my flight that was early. By time I got to gate, boarding had yet to start.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:22 pm

Would u recommend the TAM lounge? Bigger question is how many guests can you bring in if everyone is in J?
Old May 26, 2015, 8:37 pm

Would u recommend the TAM lounge? Bigger question is how many guests can you bring in if everyone is in J?
If they're flying on a qualifying flight in oneworld Business, they can access oneworld lounges on their own. First flyers are entitled to one guest, Sapphire flyers are entitled to one guest; the rules don't seem to provide for Business flyers without at least Sapphire status with the ability to host guests.

But, LAN / TAM has been turning away some qualified oneworld passengers from their lounges (probably claiming capacity issues, included in oneworld lounge access rules here). So keep in mind AA, BA and QR have contracted to use the Executive Lounge.

Last edited by JDiver; May 26, 2015 at 8:44 pm
Old May 27, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
I did not go to the GRU lounge. I did not have much time. I was also traveling solo. I wanted to see if I got access with no problem at TAM lounge. The lounge was big and open, and I would not hesitate to return with guest.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
I've got no status with AA anymore, but I do have that Citibank Executive card that grants AC access (not Oneworld partner lounge access), with the AC logo on the back. Do you all have any idea whether I'll be able to get into the Executive lounge at GRU? I'm not hopeful...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by crunchy
I've got no status with AA anymore, but I do have that Citibank Executive card that grants AC access (not Oneworld partner lounge access), with the AC logo on the back. Do you all have any idea whether I'll be able to get into the Executive lounge at GRU? I'm not hopeful...
The Citi Executive card gives you an Admirals Club membership, no more and no less. As such, you do have access (as the Club is closed for refurbishment) to the appropriate lounge as indicated in the wiki at the top of this page.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
The Citi Executive card gives you an Admirals Club membership, no more and no less. As such, you do have access (as the Club is closed for refurbishment) to the appropriate lounge as indicated in the wiki at the top of this page.
Great news, thanks! ^

BTW, I read the wiki before posting and re-read it just now and noticed no explicit mention of a Citi card.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by crunchy
Great news, thanks! ^

BTW, I read the wiki before posting and re-read it just now and noticed no explicit mention of a Citi card.
Everywhere you read "Admirals Club member" all 30 day, annual and Citi Executive members are included.

The easiest way these days is using the Lounge Dashboard "sticky" thread. It's redundant to pack every bit of information in each wiki for all sixty seven lounge threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.