Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Humor: deserving first-class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: AA, HH
Originally Posted by mvoight
It sounds a bit stupid. Many business people carry Apple laptops.
I play on both sides of the fence, Dell for work and MacBook Air for me.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:46 am
HMO

Originally Posted by itchief
I play on both sides of the fence, Dell for work and MacBook Air for me.
Up to a couple of years ago, I used to have no standards...
PC notebook, Android tablet, Blackberry & iPhone.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Exactly why US domestic airlines have such garbage service and seats. You get what you pay for. How much is a PDB and a slightly larger seat worth to you?
In the US, domestic first=premium economy.

Lots of wide bodies flying around, dare I say, I'd pick SQ Y over AA J
Having flown both, I'll take AA J over SQ Y.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Exactly why US domestic airlines have such garbage service and seats. You get what you pay for. How much is a PDB and a slightly larger seat worth to you?

Compare it to the Asian model, intra-asia flights with lie flat seats

The moment they scrap the upgrade system is the moment hard & soft product will improve.
Absolutely. Upgrades are a problem, but the reality is even now, if upgrades were removed, there is too little competition to force anyone to improve their product. At the moment my favorite domestic products are probably those offered on VX and B6. VX F is industry leading and I can get more legroom in row 11 on a B6 A320 than I can in F on any of the new Airbus deliveries or any US domestic aircraft.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Actually when i read the OP was on a "waitlist" i was laughing already because what made him deserving of that first class seat. He was clearly upgraded along with the guy next to him. Everytime i fly paid F/J i always wonder about the freebie upgraders next to me. Of course i get upgraded too but i dont have the appearance of the typical premium flier. I've been told at the airport a million times "this line is for elites or first class only" etc and some jack&&& once told me in line "this line is for first class passengers only," although the look on his face when i said "i know" was priceless.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Very very very entertaining...
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by Austin787
In the US, domestic first=premium economy.

Having flown both, I'll take AA J over SQ Y.
I dunno. Having flown both numerous times, I would take SQ Y for better soft service on short haul flights under 3 hours.

Hot towel service
Edible food
Great Service
Lounge access with *A - Asian lounges have real complimentary food & alcohol

Compared to AA:

Slightly more legroom
Pathetic food offerings (although they finally "upgraded" their meals
No lounge access
No free booze on board
Grumpy flight attendants

No contest.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Do they still have seats in the back of the plane, behind the curtain? I thought that that's where the cargo goes.
gold!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

The moment they scrap the upgrade system is the moment hard & soft product will improve.
It's apples to oranges. The place where the AA upgrade system exists, domestic U.S. service, it's almost exclusively narrowbodies.

If we're talking widebody to widebody, then AA J > SQ Y. That's a lieflat vs. a 31" seat. I don't care how grumpy the FA is, I'd rather have the proper J seat.

If we're talking narrowbody to narrowbody, then some good premium economy products out there might be better than AA F, although I honestly don't see many carriers building the best PE products into their narrowbodies. (SQ is moot to this discussion: they don't operate narrowbodies.) I can't think of one that operates a route head-to-head against an AA narrowbody.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
This is a funny post.

I remember watching some folks get upgraded to Hawaii on Alaska at the last minute when another connecting flight did not get to Seattle on time, leaving a few seats available.

The older couple had never flown FC before. They were old enough to be our parents, and we are 60. This couple couldn't believe their luck. They sat in the 4th row behind us and kept remarking over the service. "Yeah, it's way better, but you get spoiled, and that is the only downside," my husband told them early on.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler
This is a funny post.

I remember watching some folks get upgraded to Hawaii on Alaska at the last minute when another connecting flight did not get to Seattle on time, leaving a few seats available.

The older couple had never flown FC before. They were old enough to be our parents, and we are 60. This couple couldn't believe their luck. They sat in the 4th row behind us and kept remarking over the service. "Yeah, it's way better, but you get spoiled, and that is the only downside," my husband told them early on.
Jerry Seinfeld said it best: "I've flown first class. I can't go back to coach"
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I dunno. Having flown both numerous times, I would take SQ Y for better soft service on short haul flights under 3 hours.

Hot towel service
Edible food
Great Service
Lounge access with *A - Asian lounges have real complimentary food & alcohol

Compared to AA:

Slightly more legroom
Pathetic food offerings (although they finally "upgraded" their meals
No lounge access
No free booze on board
Grumpy flight attendants

No contest.
I guess AA has gotten worse that I realized. Seriously, AA charges for drinks in J? (Or doesn't serve drinks at all in J during flight?) And confirmed international J class passengers don't have lounge access?

Note that the post you quoted was a comment on AA J versus SQ Y.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The original AA vs SQ post didn't make any sense at all. It should be ignored, as it's full of inaccuracies and confusion.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K

I find it hard to take someone seriously who prefers a coach seat in a 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 configuration over an all aisle access J seat that is also used by CX. So by that logic you prefer SQ Y over CX J as well?

Seeing how Singapore airlines flies 100% international routes, of course they are going to have international level service in coach. That being said i'm not going to take a cramped coach seat over a recliner seat in "domestic F" on a US carrier. Id rather be comfortable and not having people rub up against me. And i don't know what you're talking about because there is free booze in all premium cabins on AA.

I've noticed that the people complaining about the upgrade system live in countries where their flag carriers don't upgrade them at all. I guess i too would be constantly angry and bitter if i always had to fly coach 100% of the time. Hard product improvement is not a valid argument. QF doesn't offer complimentary upgrades and they use the same crappy recliner seats (some older and worse) that most American domestic carriers use in F. The only difference with QF is they offer lounge access and meal service, but i'm not finding any Sydney-Melbourne flights in business for less than $500 anywhere one-way.

And then take a look at European carriers and their intra-europe "business" on widebodies. Those are just coach seats with the middle seat blocked out and slightly better food. So people love to bash on US Carriers "first class" and don't compare apples to apples when looking at premium cabins on other narrow-bodies worldwide.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I guess AA has gotten worse that I realized. Seriously, AA charges for drinks in J? (Or doesn't serve drinks at all in J during flight?) And confirmed international J class passengers don't have lounge access?

Note that the post you quoted was a comment on AA J versus SQ Y.
he doesn't know what he's talking about. Booze is free in premium cabins on AA.

Originally Posted by pinniped
The original AA vs SQ post didn't make any sense at all. It should be ignored, as it's full of inaccuracies and confusion.
i'm betting he was probably being sarcastic or trolling.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
I find it hard to take someone seriously who prefers a coach seat in a 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 configuration over an all aisle access J seat that is also used by CX. So by that logic you prefer SQ Y over CX J as well?

Seeing how Singapore airlines flies 100% international routes, of course they are going to have international level service in coach. That being said i'm not going to take a cramped coach seat over a recliner seat in "domestic F" on a US carrier. Id rather be comfortable and not having people rub up against me. And i don't know what you're talking about because there is free booze in all premium cabins on AA.

I've noticed that the people complaining about the upgrade system live in countries where their flag carriers don't upgrade them at all. I guess i too would be constantly angry and bitter if i always had to fly coach 100% of the time. Hard product improvement is not a valid argument. QF doesn't offer complimentary upgrades and they use the same crappy recliner seats (some older and worse) that most American domestic carriers use in F. The only difference with QF is they offer lounge access and meal service, but i'm not finding any Sydney-Melbourne flights in business for less than $500 anywhere one-way.

And then take a look at European carriers and their intra-europe "business" on widebodies. Those are just coach seats with the middle seat blocked out and slightly better food. So people love to bash on US Carriers "first class" and don't compare apples to apples when looking at premium cabins on other narrow-bodies worldwide.

he doesn't know what he's talking about. Booze is free in premium cabins on AA.

i'm betting he was probably being sarcastic or trolling.
What I meant was free booze in the lounge* Apologies for the typo.

To the person that said I would take SQ Y over CX J, thats non-sense of course. Now if you want to compare CX J vs AA J for a 2-3 hour flight, be my guest.

Its not apples to oranges. I don't care if its a wide body or narrow body. It's all about the user experience. You see AA run wide bodies on short hauls? Almost 0%.

I've flown plenty of award tickets on AA business. Service levels are atrocious, compared to the over the top service in pretty much every other industry. Quite a few power trippers.

The only J class that's alright in the US is Delta. They actually have edible meals and drinkable booze.

And you still don't acknowledge the fact the AA elites don't get complimentary access to AA clubs. Which is appropriate to call it a club because even a dinky regional asian airline lounge has better food options then a AAdmirals club.

So no, I'm not jealous at all, I rather have the free flow booze and food (lounge + while flying) and top service in Y rather then "sit up front".

And Qantas J is atrocious, I must agree on that point . Although their lounges again are much nicer, their business lounges are better then the "flagships".

Regardless, the point is, you get what you pay for. Anyone whining about not getting an upgrade or how bad the business product is, when did you last fly a PAID ticket.

Jet Blue seems to have the most reasonable J product, priced to a more reasonable price with appropriate levels of service and comfort. On routes that don't support this, they don't sell it (which is most).

Ever wonder why Delta has a better product? Its because they actually sell reasonably priced tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.