Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA AAdvantage vs UA / United MileagePlus - status, perks, pros, cons (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA AAdvantage vs UA / United MileagePlus - status, perks, pros, cons, etc.

Please ask questions or discuss AAdvantage vs MileagePlus here.

The archived thread of posts made prior to 2015 may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA AAdvantage vs UA / United MileagePlus - status, perks, pros, cons (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Trying to make a decision on this early in the year. I am a middle of the pack frequency traveler (about 50k miles per year) and would be teetering on earning Gold with united. The bump of $6k PQD might kill me though.

I booked a Cathay pacific flight through Kayak, but apparently that put me at "L" class which doesn't get my anything on AAdvantage.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Rotus12
I booked a Cathay pacific flight through Kayak, but apparently that put me at "L" class which doesn't get my anything on AAdvantage.
Cathay doesn't offer AA miles on discounted economy classes. You can find the earning chart here:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...hayPacific.jsp

Workaround: AA codeshare gets full miles, though may cost more.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:58 pm

Been UA 1k for years, but was offered Exec Plat challenge and tempted to take it - GPU restrictions and PQD earning just make the program much worse than AA's offering
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: 1K
I am 1K on an EXP match, first flights were this week. Initial thoughts:

• I really don't like MD-80's (I'll take my ERJ-175 in F)
  • FA's have been much worse than UA (not flier friendly )
  • Generally older, less updated fleet? Not sure this is entire true... might be limited to my routes.
  • DFW is awful
  • No transparency into flight status on AA.com (upgrades, standby, where is flight coming from)
  • I prefer UA.bomb, though I'll book through Sabre anyway
  • I have missed 1 upgrade on UA this year (out of 39 flights). I don't think my EXP upgrade % will be much better. I am typically in the higher Y refundable fares.

Headed to PUQ next month. UA's service to SCL makes it tempting to drop EXP and stay with UA. Hopefully I have good experiences to report soon!
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by Rotus12
Trying to make a decision on this early in the year. I am a middle of the pack frequency traveler (about 50k miles per year) and would be teetering on earning Gold with united. The bump of $6k PQD might kill me though.

I would go with UA Gold over AA Plat for SDC's alone.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Only thing I'd have to add is, I'm finding UA miles to be much more usable, flexible and just plain "exciting" -- so many cool airlines to redeem on (yes, at new, much higher rates.)

This year I've flown on miles: ANA in F, Thai in A380 F, LH in *amazing* 747 F, Air New Zealand in J, SQ in J, and South African in J. Will fly home from this trip on either LH (if that 747 F opens up again especially) or on a combination. Egypt Air very available and maybe deserves a go . I have another NZ trip booked for April, using Asiana and a paid ticket from ICN.

Yes, I burned though all of these due to the devaluation-- but even at the new rates, I just love what UA miles "can do."

I have zero experience on the revenue/elite side-- and I'm quite sure AA is better based on what I read, but simply talking international mileage useage/availability/versatility? I say, at this juncture, UA hands-down. YMMV, needless to say!
I think, to some extent, whatever is new or novel is exciting. *A has a lot of airlines, so a lot of room for new and novel, especially if you've enjoyed most of AA's partners already. You could change your list to e.g. CX in F, JL in F, EY in F, QR in J, GF in J, QF in F/J, TN/FJ for south pacific destinations etc...certainly not as deep as *A and some tough gets, but a lot of good options there too.

Enjoy all alliances/partnerships and their unique partners/coverages/routes/destinations. The best versatility is having enough miles in several programs to get the awards you seek.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by hookthem
  • Generally older, less updated fleet? Not sure this is entire true... might be limited to my routes.
  • DFW is awful
  • No transparency into flight status on AA.com (upgrades, standby, where is flight coming from)
A lot of this is route specific. Some of those intra-Texas short hops do seem to get the really old equipment. That said, DFW is usually a great place to connect, recent weather notwithstanding.

And that information is available on AA's mobile app.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Keep in mind that MD80's start phasing over to A319's and Regional jets (not E145's punishment most of us had post UA/CO merger) .

DFW for intra Texas is abysmal, for cross region/country connections, barring the few days with ice or bad tstorms it's less problematic than SFO or ORD and with the DFW Train less walking than IAH connections on UA

On AA pretty good transparency on upgrades with EF plus I do like timestamp of upgrade request taking precedence in the elite class group. Many a time on UA I was #2 with 5 seats open 2 hours prior and then I would end up as #11 with 5 seats open.... NOT had an upgrade go south on AA since making EXP ; for the few peak routes I switched last minute I GET that I would be ahead of PLAT's but all other EXP's are ahead of me as they requested prior. Never had an issue with this as it's easy to understand plus any other EXP upgrading after me goes behind me.

For Cathay mileage. Our company has a 300 USD each way policy to go to Premium or Biz class. On most CX tickets this is a no brainer that I end up with a discounted premium economy fare which is MORE than 100% on points (150%)

Last edited by NickP 1K; Mar 8, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mattsteg
I think, to some extent, whatever is new or novel is exciting. *A has a lot of airlines, so a lot of room for new and novel, especially if you've enjoyed most of AA's partners already. You could change your list to e.g. CX in F, JL in F, EY in F, QR in J, GF in J, QF in F/J, TN/FJ for south pacific destinations etc...certainly not as deep as *A and some tough gets, but a lot of good options there too.

Enjoy all alliances/partnerships and their unique partners/coverages/routes/destinations. The best versatility is having enough miles in several programs to get the awards you seek.
Agreed and agreed-- definitely is part of it and definitely good to have miles in the 2 different programs (at least.)
Old May 14, 2015, 1:00 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Seeing as AA/US hasn't revamped any award structure, but actually added ways to earn points, I should make the switch soon. Will do after June so I get status until Feb 2017. And if they do make changes, it will probably be in the near future, in which case I can hop back to UA and maintain my status. Thanks all for the info!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:07 pm

UA GS to AA

Hello,

I am a GS on UA but due to the recent economy and pressed to reduce costs I am moving to AA. I fly business and 90% international.

There are a few items I have seen that look appealing but over all curious what I might expect in this change?

Boarding, class comfort, advantages, disadvantages, entertainment, etc.

When you sit on a plane for 16 hours it is the little things that make the difference.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What routes will you fly most often?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...14-2015-a.html
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:28 pm

Usually, ATL-HKG or ATL-Paris or ATL to Toronto

HKG is a flight I am on at least once a month, sometimes twice. AA allows me to fly out closer to home as well.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by Red1775
Hello,

I am a GS on UA but due to the recent economy and pressed to reduce costs I am moving to AA. I fly business and 90% international.

There are a few items I have seen that look appealing but over all curious what I might expect in this change?

Boarding, class comfort, advantages, disadvantages, entertainment, etc.

When you sit on a plane for 16 hours it is the little things that make the difference.
AA's 77W blows anything UA has out of the water in terms of comfort, IFE. That being said, AA's boarding process is not as streamlined as UA, meaning they dont have clearly marked lanes for each boarding group. Boarding is basically Elites, then credit card holders, than zones that do a reverse pyramid scheme which imo is not as efficient as window/middle/aisle that UA uses.

I would suggest googling "American Airlines Trip Reports" to get a general feel of what to expect. While AA's international fleet is a bit dated, they are all undergoing a refresh and when complete, will have the newest cabin of the big 3 while UA stubbornly holds on to 2-4-2 or 2-2-2 biz seating. The 777-300ER and 787s have new cabins that boast all aisle access for premium seats, something you don't see on UA. And oneworld emerald status gets you first class lounge access internationally, a perk not offered on Star or Skyteam.

I am a 1K defect from UA and while some things have taken getting used to, i'm enjoying myself. One thing i do miss from UA is their same day change policy was pretty liberal. On AA, you have to pretty much maintain the same # of stops when doing a SDC. UA also has a better smartphone app.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:58 pm

UA has lost it with the 2+4+2 seating. I detest it. If you fly HKG to NWR you can get on old Continental and have 2+2+2. The crew aren't friendly and act as if they could careless. The exception would be when flying in first, the times I have done it was very nice.

I received Exec Platinum and booked well ahead of the challenge needed to retain.

Thanks for the feed back. My only regret is my point of origin to Dallas is economy only but a small price to pay for a 20 min drive to the airport verses 2 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.