Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award ticket rebooking after route suspension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award ticket rebooking after route suspension

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by deant
AA has no ability to open award seats on BA - it is entirely up to BA. If BA does not have award space open then I seriously doubt that they would open seats because of an AA schedule change. Lately it seems that AA will only reschedule you on flights that have award space currently available.
It is irrelevent whether there is award space

If AA/US is the operating carrier of a cancelled flight , it is required by law to provide rebooking in line with EC261. If AA has to purchase a revenue ticket from another airline, that's its problem. It cannot just fob the passenger off
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 definitely applies (unless Grexit really happens faster than one would have thought). While there is no compensation due, AA does owe OP's in-laws a reroute.

I would do the research and propose the alternative which suits (likely ATH-LHR-SEA) and then call AA and ask for that, expressly pointing out that this is covered by EC 261/2004. Will likely take a second-tier supervisor to make it happen. Just be politely persistent.

Bottom line is that they can't require your in-laws to pay the $111 extra, whatever makes it up, but it is unclear that they can't force the routing they have offered. Equally unclear that they must provide a hotel.

Last edited by Often1; Jul 2, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Often1

Bottom line is that they can't require your in-laws to pay the $111 extra, whatever makes it up, but it is unclear that they can't force the routing they have offered. Equally unclear that they must provide a hotel.
The OP states that an overnight at LHR will be necessary - the duty of care will apply in that situation
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Thanks to all for your advice. I've coached them pretty thoroughly on how to handle this and what to cite (EC 261/2004), so we'll see how it turns out. They're very polite midwesterners and I'm afraid they might not stick to their guns when pressured.

I assume I probably can't call on their behalf? I've booked plenty of travel online for them with my own miles before, but haven't talked to an agent before re: a reservation for them.

Last edited by SeatacRefugee; Jul 9, 2015 at 2:12 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by SeatacRefugee
Thanks to all for your advice. I've coached them pretty thoroughly on how to handle this and what to cite (EC 261/2004), so we'll see how it turns out. They're very polite midwesterners and I'm afraid they might not stick to their guns when pressured.

I assume I probably can't call on their behalf? I've booked plenty of travel online for them with my own miles before, but haven't talked to an agent before re: a reservation for them.
If they are happy for you to call for them, there is no reason that you cannot

AA is paticularly bad at any form of data protection and verification that the person calling is authorised to act
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SeatacRefugee
I always call on my mother's behalf. I always identify myself, saying I'm calling on behalf of my mother, and they never question talking to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.