Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-MIA First or Biz?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
LAX-MIA First or Biz?

I've got to fly June 3rd. Time doesn't really matter as I've just got to be in Miami by noon on the 4th but would prefer comfort. AA seems like the only direct option so should I take a 737/757 in first class or 777 in business? I'd love to go 777 first but that's running over $2k and my company limit is $1k ish. There is also a 321 but it looks like it's the two class? Any experience? Also I don't have Delta or AA status.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The 737/757/32B's that operate LAX-MIA will have your standard domestic first class seats.

The 777 business will be the angled lie-flat seats, same as international business class on the un-retrofitted 772's and 763's.

If cost is the same, by all means take the 777 in business, this is the most comfortable option for sure.

And the 777 Flagship Suite in First is definitely spacious and comfortable, albeit a bit dated, but I personally wouldn't pay an extra $1k out of my own pocket to take it on LAX-MIA (a 4-4.5 hr flight).
Old May 30, 2015, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The 737/757/32B's that operate LAX-MIA will have your standard domestic first class seats.

The 777 business will be the angled lie-flat seats, same as international business class on the un-retrofitted 772's and 763's.

If cost is the same, by all means take the 777 in business, this is the most comfortable option for sure.

And the 777 Flagship Suite in First is definitely spacious and comfortable, albeit a bit dated, but I personally wouldn't pay an extra $1k out of my own pocket to take it on LAX-MIA (a 4-4.5 hr flight).
Thank you! This is exactly what I was trying to find out. I wish the 777 wasn't a midday flight but if I have wifi I should be alright and will get some work done.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
Thank you! This is exactly what I was trying to find out. I wish the 777 wasn't a midday flight but if I have wifi I should be alright and will get some work done.
No wifi on the 777, unless you get very lucky and get one of the few retrofitted planes.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
I've got to fly June 3rd. Time doesn't really matter as I've just got to be in Miami by noon on the 4th but would prefer comfort. AA seems like the only direct option so should I take a 737/757 in first class or 777 in business? I'd love to go 777 first but that's running over $2k and my company limit is $1k ish. There is also a 321 but it looks like it's the two class? Any experience? Also I don't have Delta or AA status.
In terms of service, if you can only pay for J on the 777, then be advised that AA is only assigning 9 FAs to the MIA-LAX-MIA 3-class 777s flight, of which 3 work in F and only 2 in J serving 37 passengers, or at least that's what the Purser on my 777 F flight last month said.

On the A321, there will be 2 FAs working up front and a maximum of 16 passengers on flights operated by AA; only 1 FA on flights operated by US.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I guess I'll look at F on a narrow body. So F- 321>757>737?
Old May 30, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Not sure I would make that kind of decision, J isn't too bad even with fewer FAs. Just a more leisurely lunch

More to the point is whether you will have an issue with the lack of wifi. If that's a concern then fair enough to skip the 777.

As for the others, I'd pick based on convenience of times. 757 to me has slightly nicer separate cabin for F, but not a game changer, otherwise they are too close to one another to rank IMO.
Old May 31, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Is there a possibility of a 75L without wifi on this route?

If wifi speed is a concern, the A321 are new planes and tend to have much faster Gogo connections. Of course, Gogo being Gogo, it's still hit or miss.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:12 am

I could take the 321 over the 777 in J, but that's just me.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by Frindle
I could take the 321 over the 777 in J, but that's just me.
+1. This is the way to go if you want wifi and better AV. If you are looking to sleep most of the flight, the 777 would be my choice.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.