Search

KOA / Kona questions [757 questions]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold
KOA / Kona questions [757 questions]

Hey everyone..

Flying to Kona in October for a week..very excited..never been to Hawaii. Managed to get a great fare out of DUB. Flying out of LAX on a AA 757 in First and back on a US 757 in First into PHX. I take the outbound Kona flight will have the upgraded AA first class? Also never flown on a US 757 in first. Wot will first be like? Will it be similar to their First in the A321 or will it be different? Any tips or advice?
Old May 30, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Kona questions

We went to Kona last year and had a blast. Our AA flight home was delayed a day, so AA put us up in a nice hotel with meal vouchers, then later gave each of us $200 vouchers to help with other expenses. Darn. Another day in Paradise.

We love seeing the volcanos.
Old May 30, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
And now soem answers to your questions:
Originally Posted by jock
I take the outbound Kona flight will have the upgraded AA first class?
Assuming you mean your inbound Kona (LAX-KOA) on AA 757, then there is no guarantee of the new seats.

Wot will first be like?
A slight step up from domestic first class, but very slight and with an Hawaii twist.

Will it be similar to their First in the A321 or will it be different?
Yes, it will be very similar to AA A321 2-class first class and US A321 first class. It will be nothing like A321T (Transcon) JFK-LAX/SFO 3-class first class.

Any tips or advice?
Don't get your expectations up too high. Just resign that the seat will be much better than CE and you'll be fine.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

I've flew in First on US Airways in April ( PHX-MCO ) but wondered if the 757 was using the old envoy loungers..or if its the same cabin as their Domestic First a321? Their A321 cabins have no video or power but seatguru indicates video and power in the 757, that's why I thought it was a different cabin.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The US-origin 757 on PHX-KOA will be domestic first, not TATL Envoy.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey everyone..

Flying to Kona in October for a week..very excited..never been to Hawaii. Managed to get a great fare out of DUB. Flying out of LAX on a AA 757 in First and back on a US 757 in First into PHX. I take the outbound Kona flight will have the upgraded AA first class? Also never flown on a US 757 in first. Wot will first be like? Will it be similar to their First in the A321 or will it be different? Any tips or advice?
You need to dial back your expectations. The seats suck, but they're 100x better than the ones in the back of the slaveship.

Old May 30, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Honestly?????

Wots with the old seats...I thought AA was changing all their Hawaii planes to A321s with better seats...surely the 757s going into kona demand a better seat than these...
Old May 30, 2015, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Seatguru says that aa 247 will be a new configeration...i take seat guru gets it wrong???
Old May 30, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Honestly?????

Wots with the old seats...I thought AA was changing all their Hawaii planes to A321s with better seats...surely the 757s going into kona demand a better seat than these...
Beginning in August, AA will begin replacing the LAX-HI flights with new A321s with typical domestic F (38 inches of pitch and limited recline).

Seatguru says that aa 247 will be a new configeration...i take seat guru gets it wrong???
Seat guru is typically wrong. Nothing new there.

Here are the "new" 757 seats:

IMO, they suck too, just as much as the old brown ones pictured above. Their only redeeming quality is that they're 2-2 and not the cramped 3-3 of economy and better leg room.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Beginning in August, AA will begin replacing the LAX-HI flights with new A321s with typical domestic F (38 inches of pitch and limited recline).

Seat guru is typically wrong. Nothing new there.

Here are the "new" 757 seats:

<image>

IMO, they suck too, just as much as the old brown ones pictured above. Their only redeeming quality is that they're 2-2 and not the cramped 3-3 of economy and better leg room.
You are correct, these are the FC 757 seats from LAX-KOA-LAX. They are not great. We prefer row 9 in coach for the legroom. KOA is a turnaround flight so the catering will be from LAX as there are no caterers for AA in KOA returning to LAX.

Last edited by JDiver; May 30, 2015 at 11:32 am Reason: Image repeat deleted
Old May 30, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Why would Kona demand better first class seats? It's overwhelmingly a leisure destination, few high-fare business flyers, and no competition offering better seats. It's something of a geographical and operational accident that so many F seats are available at all on this route.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Well better than those old beige leather seats from the 90s. I appreciate that leisure travel doesnt require the newest seats..just comfortable and fuctionable.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Unrelated, but my wife and I flew LAX-KOA-LAX earlier this month. We were in Y with an early evening departure out, and red eye back. F was full but Y was empty. On the 757 we had 10A/B/C to ourselves in addition to 9B/C. Would have been the same on the return but a couple moved to 9B/C. We brought our own food and it was great.
Old May 31, 2015, 2:08 am
Original Poster

So is it most likely that by Oct..AA will have swapped out the 757 and replaced it with a A321on the Kona route?
Old May 31, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
So is it most likely that by Oct..AA will have swapped out the 757 and replaced it with a A321on the Kona route?
I doubt it. The 757 to A321 swaps begin in August. Will probably take a while before its completed. If you really want to fly on the A321, then change your routing to LAX-HNL - select one of the 321 flight times, then connect on HA HNL-KOA.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.