Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Some notes on Hawaiian Airlines (HA) interisland flights for AA flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

Information from this thread is also integrated into this wiki page:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Hawaiian_Airlines_Flights_(AA)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:23 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC

We have a couple of related threads with info for AA flyers when traveling on AS and BA:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-aa-elite.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aa-flyers.html

So, I thought I'd share a few notes on our HA interisland experience here. Hopefully others will contribute additional info and we can put this in the wiki.

General
HA interisland flights can be booked as AA codeshares when connecting from an AA flight, and accrue EQM, EQP, and RDM. HA flights can also be booked under HA flight numbers via AA, but will only accrue RDM. AA elites do NOT receive any benefits when traveling on HA (other than being in Hawaii ).

Itineraries Containing AA*/HA Codeshare Segments (new)
As noted downthread, keep a proactive eye on itineraries that contain AA-marketed segments operated by HA (AA*/HA), and probably on those that contain native HA-marketed/operated segments as well. Automatic reticketing may not proceed properly when a waitlisted upgrade clears or there is a schedule change.

HA Confirmation Code
The HA confirmation code will be 6 letters, and is different from the AA PNR. The HA confirmation code can be obtained by entering the Ticket Number and Passenger's Last Name in the Manage / View Reservations page of Hawaiianair.com, and is needed to view updated seat assignments (the AA.com reservation page is static and may not reflect actual HA seat assignments) and for online checkin (not available for AA codeshare flights).

Seating
HA flies Boeing 717-200 aircraft on interisland flights, which are the successors to the MD-80 aircraft flown by AA (after McDonnell Douglas merged with Boeing in 1997). These aircraft have the same 2+3 seat configuration in coach, but are a bit shorter than AA's MD-80s, with 26 rows total and exit rows 16 & 17.

When we booked our AA codeshare flights, we were assigned 11A/B by default, which were the first non-preferred seats from the front of the cabin. However, as I reported in the thread below, it's a good idea to keep an eye on these seat assignments in HA.com, as we were later bumped from these seats, either due to a computer glitch or to make more room for HA elites:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-airlines.html

I'm not sure if it's possible to request different seat assignments by calling HA customer service, but we were unable to select different seats online at HA.com.

Our two flights flew just off the south coasts of the islands both ways (non ETOPS?), so seats on the left were great for HNL-KOA, while seats on the right were better for KOA-HNL. HNL prevailing winds are from the East, while KOA had both North and South arrivals while we were there. For more seating advice, see this thread in the HA Forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...-mainland.html

Check-In and Baggage Fees (rev. 9/15)
We were unable to check-in online or via airport kiosk on our AA codeshare flights. We waited about 15 min in the line to check in with an agent at HNL and only 2 min in the line at KOA.

HA charges baggage fees for interisland and mainland flights, currently $10 now $25 for the first checked bag and 17 $35 for the second checked bag and $100 each for a third and fourth bag; these fees apply to First class as well. The standard 62 linear inch & 50 lb limits apply. AA elites are NOT exempt from these fees. If you are connecting to an AA flight to the mainland, you will be charged the interisland baggage fees. However, hillrider notes that recent DOT regulations mandate that, for codeshare flights, the baggage rules of the Marketing carrier apply, not those of the operating carrier. So AA elites should be exempt from baggage fees on HA flights booked as AA codeshares – not all HA agents are aware of this rule.

HA also limits carry-on bags to 45 linear inches AND 25 lbs. While our carry-on bags were not weighed at HNL, we got a stickler of an agent at KOA who weighed our rollaboards. As our scuba regulators and lights put them well north of 35 lbs, we had to pull our regulator bags out and check the rollaboards as second checked bags.

Lounge Access
AA elites and Admirals Club members do NOT have access to HA lounges. However, the HNL joint Admirals Club / JL Sakura Lounge (see here) is accessible when traveling on interisland flights as all gates are connected airside at HNL.

Boarding
HA preboards handicapped passengers & families with children under age 2, then first, then HA elites, then coach by row (>20, >15?, >10, >4). Even though we boarded in the last group for our HNL-KOA flight, we still had room for our rollaboards in the overhead bins.

In-Flight Service
On these short interisland flights (all <1 hr), service consisted of a container of juice or water, with alcohol for sale. The crews were friendly and efficient, and went out of their way to point out good views of the islands or sunset during the flights.

Connections
Be sure to see this excellent main thread in the HA Forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...5-03-09-a.html

Baggage Claim
We claimed checked bags at both HNL and KOA and they arrived promptly on the carousel after our flights - much better speed than AA on the mainland!

AA Mileage Accrual
As discussed in other threads, the fine print in the AA elite guides provides only for 250 minimum miles when traveling on AA codeshare flights operated by HA. Accordingly, we received 250 EQM, 250 EQP (V fare), 250 MTEU for our flights, although we received 500 RDM instead of 250.

Non AA codeshare flights booked under eligible fares are supposed to accrue RDM only, based on actual miles for non-elites, 250 minimum RDM for AA elites.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 11, 2015 at 10:47 am Reason: DOT regs; bag fee updates 2015
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:18 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I noticed you can book a Hawaiian codeshare on multi-city trips, like this:

Carrier Flight
# Departing Arriving Aircraft
Type Cabin
Flight
Miles Meals Travel
Time
City Date & Time City Date & Time

AMERICAN AIRLINES 1923 SFO
San Francisco Mar 16, 2011
12:25 PM LAX
Los Angeles Mar 16, 2011
01:50 PM M80 Economy
View Seats 337 N/A 10 hr
0 min

AMERICAN AIRLINES 297 LAX
Los Angeles Mar 16, 2011
04:25 PM HNL
Honolulu Mar 16, 2011
07:25 PM 757 Economy
View Seats 2556 Food For Purchase

AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY HAWAIIAN AIRLINES 7870 HNL
Honolulu Mar 23, 2011
12:20 PM OGG
Kahului Mar 23, 2011
12:58 PM 717 Economy
N/A 0 hr
38 min

AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY HAWAIIAN AIRLINES 7877 OGG
Kahului Mar 30, 2011
10:45 AM HNL
Honolulu Mar 30, 2011
11:19 AM 717 Economy
N/A 7 hr
15 min

AMERICAN AIRLINES 28 HNL
Honolulu Mar 30, 2011
12:55 PM SFO
San Francisco Mar 30, 2011
09:00 PM 757 Economy
View Seats 2398 Food For Purchase
Alert: Terminal change.
Thus, you can earn 250 EQMs if you decide to visit two islands during your Hawaii trip.

Last edited by Xero; Dec 27, 2010 at 2:23 am
Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:57 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond
I understand that some HA flights are paired/codeshared with AA flights when booked on AA.com (for instance, XXX-DFW-OGG(AA)-LIH(HA)), but can you actually search for a stand-alone HA segment on AA.com? I've tried but search always came back negative.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by kw335
I understand that some HA flights are paired/codeshared with AA flights when booked on AA.com (for instance, XXX-DFW-OGG(AA)-LIH(HA)), but can you actually search for a stand-alone HA segment on AA.com? I've tried but search always came back negative.
I kept checking the fares for a trip in November and yes stand alone interisland flights were on aa.com but were priced $10 more than if I booked on the Hawaiian Air site. I blew off the small amount of miles to save the $40 (2 flights for 2 people).
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TxTrav
I kept checking the fares for a trip in November and yes stand alone interisland flights were on aa.com but were priced $10 more than if I booked on the Hawaiian Air site. I blew off the small amount of miles to save the $40 (2 flights for 2 people).
Now would these flights (with AA flight numbers) earn EQM/EQP/EQS?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
With AA flight numbers, you earn as if you were flying AA metal, just as is true with every AA flight (unless flying an AA flight to Cuba).

It should be noted the jointly operated Admirals Club / JL Sakura zclub is in the main terminal, accessible via the inter island/ main terminal walkway. Admirals Club retained some of the same staff that worked the old Club, where the CO Presidents Club was until the COUA merger, iirc - Diane has been with AC over 25 years, Shari a long time as well).

BTW, the "Boeing 717-200" is what they finally named the McDonnell Douglas MD-95. Thanks for the update, dstan!

"In early 1994 the MD-95 re-emerged bearing far more similarity to the DC-9-30. Indeed the aircraft's specification in terms of weight, dimensions, and fuel capacity are almost identical. The major changes included a fuselage "shrink" back to 119 ft 4 in (36.37 m) length (same as the DC-9-30), and the reversion to the original DC-9 wing of 93 ft 5 in (28.47 m) span. At the time of the redefinition, McDonnell Douglas said that it expected the MD-95 to grow into a family of aircraft with the capability of increased range and seating capacity."

"...the BMW Rolls-Royce BR700 engine was selected to power the aircraft on February 23, 1994."

"McDonnell Douglas was planning for all MD-95 assembly to be undertaken in China..."

"After McDonnell Douglas merged with Boeing in August 1997,... the 717 name had actually been used within the company to refer to the KC-135 Stratotanker. 717 had also been used to promote an early design of the 720 to airlines before it was modified to meet market demands. A Boeing historian notes that the air force plane had the designation "717-100" and the commercial airliner had the designation "717-200". "

"The 156th and final 717 rolled off the assembly line in April 2006 for AirTran Airways, who were the 717's launch customer as well as its final customer. The final two Boeing 717 airplanes were delivered to customers AirTran and Midwest Airlines on May 23, 2006.[2] The 717 was the last commercial airplane produced at Boeing's Long Beach facility in Southern California."

Wikipedia, various bits and pieces.

Now would these flights (with AA flight numbers) earn EQM/EQP/EQS?

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 11, 2015 at 8:44 am Reason: Edit info on Admirals Club
Old Dec 27, 2010, 1:24 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
You have to have the "Other Carriers" option checked to view the HA-marketed flights.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
2 Questions about Hawaii Flights

I am planning to fly from Maui to the Big Island in December (1-way ticket). Was hoping someone could help me out with two questions:

1) If I book on Hawaiin air it appears that I can opt to receive AA miles. Will this very short flight also count as a segment for elite status qualification?

2) Can I use AA miles to book the flight? If so, how much does it cost (I see posts on here stating 5K, others saying 10K)

Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:47 am

1) If your flight has a HA flight number, look here (http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...anAirlines.jsp) to see if your fare qualifies for miles. HA gives a minimum 250 miles to AA elites. You do not get any elite miles.

If you want elite miles on HA and thus count it as a segment, you'll need it booked as an AA flight number. If you're island hopping in Hawaii, book everything as multi-city and you'll see AA codeshares appear for HA flights.

Be aware though that HA gives no recognition for being an AA elite, meaning no better seats and bag fees.

2) You'll have to call AA up to find out.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:49 am

1) No. You will earn redeemable miles, not elite-qualifying miles. But see Xero's post above for booking as an AA codeshare (requires connecting flight on AA).

2) 5,000 miles for a one-way interisland trip, as per the chart you can see from this aa.com page.

Many questions of this kind are answered in the Wiki, in the FAQ (or links therefrom) or definitively on aa.com.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Xero
1) If you're island hopping in Hawaii, book everything as multi-city and you'll see AA codeshares appear for HA flights.
How can I book it as multi-city when it is a one-way point A to point B flight?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by rikramer
How can I book it as multi-city when it is a one-way point A to point B flight?
In this case you can't, but I was not sure if you were flying from the mainland on AA, flying something like LAX-OGG-KOA-LAX.

Last edited by Xero; Sep 2, 2011 at 11:04 am
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:01 am

Exactly! It may pay the OP to spend 5,000 miles if he feels the spend is justified, because stand alone there is no way I can see he can earn EQM.

The recent inquiry has been merged into the existing master thread on this topic. /Moderator

Originally Posted by Xero
In this case you can't, but I was not sure if you were flying form the mainland on AA, flying something like LAX-OGG-KOA-LAX.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Exactly! It may pay the OP to spend 5,000 miles if he feels the spend is justified, because stand alone there is no way I can see he can earn EQM.
Looks like I'll burn the miles. I actually just realized i need it to be a round-trip. I messed up my flights and let the 24hr change period expire. My flight back to the mainland departs from maui so I need to get back there or else the rest of my itinerary (HNL or ORD) will be cancelled. Between me and my wife that was a 10K error. Live and learn - better planning next time.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
How long does it typically take for interisland flights booked through HA to post to AAdvantage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.