Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2016)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to editing (strikethrough) or deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.
Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

As well, note Expanded Access to Flagship Lounge Coming "in Spring 2017"

Sincerely,
The American Airlines | AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)

=================end mod note===================

oneworld Lounge Access
Wizard by kduarte.

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 20-5, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in Mexico), and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

On September 1, 2012, access to the Admirals Club® and Flagship Lounge® changed for customers traveling on an American Airlines certain non-stop transcontinental flight.

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
(Note that "in 2017" does not mean "starting January 1 2017". We have been informed that "we don't have a specific date yet.")

All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: US Airways Clubs have been rebranded as Admirals Clubs; full consolidation has occurred. Some Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ends July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014, so this has added the oneworld Business and Qantas First lounges at the TBIT international terminal for passengers departing TBIT; the Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge, and Alaska Airlines Board Room to the scope of lounges one might access (depending on status or class of service eligibility).

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . oneworld Lounge Access Wizard, created by FlyerTalk member imagineertobe

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● FT Help Desk: Lounge Access and Lounge Access Rules [ARCHIVED]

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:32 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Arrow ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 12, 2016 at 8:04 pm Reason: Trying to restore date to 2015/6 instead of 2007
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:50 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Arrow

Leaving empty post after reconstruction for lounge dashboard link use.

NOTE: Expanded Access to Flagship Lounge Coming "in Spring 2017" (Discuss in that thread until new Flagship Lounge access rules come into play.)

AA Expanding Flagship Lounge Access Spring 2017

As part of "In spring 2017, we’ll start introducing our all-new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service
American Airlines is expanding access to the Flagship Lounges (but reducing access to Flagship Dining within the Flagsip Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges, eligible customers will be:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets)*

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights)*

• oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin on all flights**
*Qualifying international cities include flights to and from Europe, Asia, Central and South America, Australia and Mexico City only. Flights must be marketed and operated by American or a oneworld® airline

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

NOTE: First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining.

Link to relevant "Lounge Updates" aa.com page

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 16, 2017 at 2:54 pm Reason: Thread maintenance
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:50 pm

Arrow HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2016)

I have no status but flying the following route

NRT-LAX AA First
+1 LAX-DFW F
DFW-ATL F

Will I be able to access the Flagship Lounge in LAX and Flagship Dining in DFW (or should I skip it and go to the Amex Centurion lounge)

Thanks
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by j_mee

NRT-LAX AA First
+1 LAX-DFW F
DFW-ATL F

Will I be able to access the Flagship Lounge in LAX and Flagship Dining in DFW (or should I skip it and go to the Amex Centurion lounge)

Thanks
Are you continuing on to DFW and ATL the same day as arrving in from NRT?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 110pgl
While I have no personal experience, I believe others in this thread have reported some luck showing your international bp to gain access the night before. YMMV
I would not expect anything beyond the lounge access policy which is

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights: First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would not expect anything beyond the lounge access policy which is

agreed. just pointing out other's reported experience. (And again, not mine as I have not tried and I already have club membership.)
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are you continuing on to DFW and ATL the same day as arrving in from NRT?
Yes, I am. The connection times are all less than 2 hours.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by j_mee

NRT-LAX AA First
+1 LAX-DFW F
DFW-ATL F

Thanks
I'm confused. What does the

"+1" mean in

NRT-LAX AA First
+1 LAX-DFW F
DFW-ATL F?
Departing NRT you arrive LAX the same day you depart NRT, albeit at an earlier time than departure.

Yet above you say you will depart LAX for DFW and ATL the same day you arrive.

If "A" and you overnight in LAX, you'll have no access.

If "B" and you continue your travel eastward the same day, you'll have access.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:08 pm

MIA Admirals Club/Checkpoints D and E

Flying on separate award tickets tomorrow am from LIR-MIA, have Global Entry and passes to Admirals Club for a 3 1/2 hr layover. Arrive D23, DEP E4. Will need to pick up checked fishing rods at customs and recheck before our flight (F) to CLT/PHX/GEG.
Assume we will clear immigration and customs fairly quickly with GE, so which Admirals Club would be best? D30 says still remodeling, so space is limited. Is it a good option to go through the E checkpoint if D is too busy? What app is best to find out times at checkpoints...thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by kathmom
Flying on separate award tickets tomorrow am from LIR-MIA, have Global Entry and passes to Admirals Club for a 3 1/2 hr layover. Arrive D23, DEP E4. Will need to pick up checked fishing rods at customs and recheck before our flight (F) to CLT/PHX/GEG.
Assume we will clear immigration and customs fairly quickly with GE, so which Admirals Club would be best? D30 says still remodeling, so space is limited. Is it a good option to go through the E checkpoint if D is too busy? What app is best to find out times at checkpoints...thanks!
The D15 club is the one under construction but both ACs tend to be super crowded. If you have GE suggest using the first PreCheck lane you come upon, should take no longer than a few minutes. AC members can use the Premium lounge if departing from Concourse E, day passes likely can't. Just use the AC closest to your gate. More than likely your gate assignment will change.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The D15 club is the one under construction but both ACs tend to be super crowded. If you have GE suggest using the first PreCheck lane you come upon, should take no longer than a few minutes. AC members can use the Premium lounge if departing from Concourse E, day passes likely can't. Just use the AC closest to your gate. More than likely your gate assignment will change.
If you're plane is leaving out of E, by all means use the E club. Unlimited booze (the good stuff) and lots of food options. Only problem with E is that only the member is allowed into E. No guests.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
If you're plane is leaving out of E, by all means use the E club. Unlimited booze (the good stuff) and lots of food options. Only problem with E is that only the member is allowed into E. No guests.
The E lounge rules and information are at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html; I don't believe one day passes are accepted, as this is neither an Admirals Club nor do Admirals Club rules apply (they have their own), as it is a joint AA-BA-IB Premium Lounge.

The OP can access the two Admirals Clubs (or with the right AMEX card, Centurion or Platinum, the Centurion Club - or with other AMEX card with a fee.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 3, 2016 at 8:34 pm
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:33 pm

A friend is flying and asked me about lounge access... He's an AA Platinum...

DFW-LAX-JFK (redeye)-MIA-PTY

Ticketed in paid business. All short connections but technically speaking the Panama leg is the next day, but he's also on a transcon.

1. Will he get access to the Oneworld J lounge at LAX (he has plenty of time)?

2. On the way back home he does the exact same all on the same day. What about on that day?

(Just asking about the Oneworld J lounge at LAX, not any other lounge/AC/FL).

Thanks!

Last edited by 747kona; Jan 4, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by lakersown81
DFW-LAX-JFK (redeye)-MIA-PTY

Ticketed in paid business. All short connections but technically speaking the Panama leg is the next day, but he's also on a transcon.

1. Will he get access to the Oneworld J lounge at LAX (he has plenty of time)?

2. On the way back home he does the exact same all on the same day. What about on that day?

(Just asking about the Oneworld J lounge at LAX, not any other lounge/AC/FL)
By a strict reading of the rules, lounge access would not be granted at the TBIT J lounge for this itinerary, in either direction. In this case, since he would have to reclear security to even try to use the lounge, I'd suggest that he stick to the AC and remind him how the drink chit system works–It's possible that an agent would let him in, but with rules not on his side I'd say it's not worth the time/hassle investment to find out.

Originally Posted by lakersown81
All short connections

<snip>

Will he get access to the Oneworld J lounge at LAX (he has plenty of time)?
If his connection at LAX is short, he won't have plenty of time. The T4-TBIT connector is not yet open, and last time I was through LAX there was not PreCheck at TBIT (though queues can be highly variable based on time of day, so it could still be fast).
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Thanks for the prompt reply, newyorkgeorge, et al. GE was very fast, PreCheck lane open and also quick. We ended up at AC D30, which was busy but able to find good seats at lunchtime. Didn't see signs of present renovation being done, was nice enough and a few different snacks that sufficed. Bought a salad that was pricey, but good and big enough for both of us! It was great to have the club to go to for a few hours.

Had to ask the desk agent(?) in the club to help with delayed and impossible connections. They worked a fix by rerouting us through MCO to make our PHX-GEG flight; had to give up the F seating for the long trip from MCO-PHX but it was worth it to get home. Lot of delays at MIA yesterday, AA afternoon flight to DFW was cancelled at one point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.