Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Help me decide, should I become "American Boy?" [AA match from CX?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

I'm very disappointed with the devalued MPO, non-existence quality services on-board (I typically fly PEY, and Y), and next to impossible meaningful mileage redemption with AM.

With the recent upgrade and advancements with AA hard products, and of course AA's world famous throwing away miles programs, and the chance to stick it to CX with AA mileage redemption on CX F cabin, should I hop over?

Veterans of both AA and CX, what do you think?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
How realistic are your expectations?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
A M E N
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Personally, I don't see how you can not move, especially given the amount of long haul flying you do and the 2015 Promotion bonus (but you'll have to change to AA metal or AA codeshares on JL). But don't EVER change your FT name, CB. It's who you are!!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Personally, I don't see how you can not move, especially given the amount of long haul flying you do and the 2015 Promotion bonus (but you'll have to change to AA metal or AA codeshares on JL). But don't EVER change your FT name, CB. It's who you are!!
Dr., I just realized had I started with AA when I'm on my DM voyage with CX I would be 2MM miles easy (with bonuses, etc.).... urgh...., and yes, before the BIS requirement.....

But the thought of starting from the bottom again.... (I called AA, no match...)
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
I grew up in USA, I fly US airlines often, I am very "realistic" about "services" on board any US-based airlines.

To me (and up for correction), it's a trade-off. You get miles, you get easy redemptions, you get upgrades (as AA EXP), etc. You don't get is the "Asian services", but you do still get professionalism. The only thing that stopped me from flying AA is the seat differences, but that has been changed of late as well as AA has upped it's hard product (long haul)

Realistic?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
You don't get is the "Asian services", ....
Sure you do. Codeshares. Who said anything about AA metal?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:09 am
Original Poster

hahahahahaha. GOOD POINT!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Often substantially more expensive than the same flight on a non-codeshare basis. I think it has to do with how much low-yielding inventory is available via codeshare. But yes, that'll work.

Two things to note. To maintain AAdvantage elite status you need four segments per year on AA metal (no Asian service ). The other is that you don't need the codeshare to earn miles; just a minimum fare class on CX (which probably explains why the AA codeshare flights are more expensive than pricing them out on CX)

Good luck
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by scnzzz
...The other is that you don't need the codeshare to earn miles; just a minimum fare class on CX
Not to be minimized though-- it's very substantial!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scnzzz

Two things to note. To maintain AAdvantage elite status you need four segments per year on AA metal (no Asian service ).

Good luck
So if I take AA metal from MDT to ORD, CX metal from ORD to HKG, and back the same way, that counts as two trips in AA metal segments right?

Flying AA metal (short-haul connections) shouldn't be hard to maintain if I do switch over...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
So if I take AA metal from MDT to ORD, CX metal from ORD to HKG, and back the same way, that counts as two trips in AA metal segments right?

Flying AA metal (short-haul connections) shouldn't be hard to maintain if I do switch over...
Yes.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Not to be minimized though-- it's very substantial!
No kidding!

That said, I often find that the PE fares on CX to India (my usual CX travel) are not bad, and those fare classes earn 125% EQP/RDM I think. So if you can book PE or better, I believe this issue won't affect you.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
- yes, a segment is a part of the trip with an individual flight number. Some flights could be with a stopover but have the same flight number (like RDU-ORD-SEA in the past). Such a flight could be counted as a single segment (at least in the past).
In addition to domestic segments, you can take DFW-HKG, DFW-ICH and AA China flights once in a while.
The main problem with flying CX-operated and CX-marketed flights is that you will be getting No AA Mileage Credit for booking in K, M, L, V, Q, S, G, N.

Next month I will fly single segment NKG-HKG on CX/Dragonair. I have ended up booking the cheapest available class because booking in AA-mileage-earning Y class would double the cost of the ticket.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alex_I
- yes, a segment is a part of the trip with an individual flight number. Some flights could be with a stopover but have the same flight number (like RDU-ORD-SEA in the past). Such a flight could be counted as a single segment (at least in the past).
In addition to domestic segments, you can take DFW-HKG, DFW-ICH and AA China flights once in a while.
The main problem with flying CX-operated and CX-marketed flights is that you will be getting No AA Mileage Credit for booking in K, M, L, V, Q, S, G, N.

Next month I will fly single segment NKG-HKG on CX/Dragonair. I have ended up booking the cheapest available class because booking in AA-mileage-earning Y class would double the cost of the ticket.
But I'm leaving CX for AA, I am aiming for AA EXP, not trying to be CX DM flying AA metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.