Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades, "Stickers" & Elite Status - 28 Mar 2015 Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

March 2015 frequent flyer program merger to AAdvantage brings some changes to the AA upgrade processes:

• Y and B courtesy upgrades for non-EXP / CP elites are not available after 28 March. Y and B fares do still affect priority upgrade listing.

• All Elites are now eligible for courtesy upgrades on flights of less than 500 mile sectors; 500 mile upgrade "stickers" will not be necessary, regardless of (paid) fare class.

• Priority for connecting passengers: GONE. Those on through / connecting flights ("-T") lose priority gained by arriving from another flight; elite status, Y/B priority and date and time of request priorities are not affected.

• "Grace" on just over 500 miles: There is no more up to 51 mile "Grace" for 500 mile upgrade use; if a flight were to be 1,049 miles, it would require full number of "stickers" to upgrade, with no forgiveness for the extra miles.

• USDM elites are being "equalized" by being granted up to 24 stickers (depending on 10,000 mile increments flown recently, and CPs get them too as they've lost complimentary companion upgrades).

Some of this is discussed in Gary Leff's interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin here.

Thread on elimination of usefulness of a connecting flight for upgrade priority considerations here.

See dmsdfw post #51 for some illustrations.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat

Just got platinum on AA... I know EXP gets unlimited complimentary upgrades. Does platinum ever receive comp upgrades? What if youre traveling with a companion who is not elite?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by aceszhigh
Just got platinum on AA... I know EXP gets unlimited complimentary upgrades. Does platinum ever receive comp upgrades? What if youre traveling with a companion who is not elite?
Sure, you and your companion can get a complimentary upgrade, so long as you're flying on a full-fare economy ticket. Otherwise, you've got to use 500-mile upgrade stickers to upgrade.

They mail you a little brochure about all of this, by the way:

https://www.aa.com/content/images/AA...Guide_2014.pdf
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by aceszhigh
This was just recently asked and most people with multiple years of platinum status can count on one hand how many "complimentary" upgrades (not using 500-mile upgrades) they've gotten. It typically will happen (and did so once for me) when Y is full and they want to move a person(s) to J to make room for standby passengers.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by jhartvu
Sure, you and your companion can get a complimentary upgrade, so long as you're flying on a full-fare economy ticket.
No longer.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National, Hilton
You can get them on US Airways flights for the time being.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by vasantn
No longer.
Oh, interesting--hadn't realized that had changed. I buy full-fare economy so infrequently (read: never) that it hadn't even come across my radar screen.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by jhartvu
Oh, interesting--hadn't realized that had changed. I buy full-fare economy so infrequently (read: never) that it hadn't even come across my radar screen.
It only just happened....meaning in two days from now
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage, AS Mileage Plan, EK Skywards, LH Miles & More
Last year I got two complimentary upgrades (PDX-DFW & LAX-HNL). Both times Y was oversold. That would pretty much be the only chance to get complimentary upgrades as PLAT now. Complimentary upgrades on Y/B fares are being eliminated as the two programs are merging these days. Now we're down to 500 mile stickers.

Companion upgrades using stickers for non elites are working - even when on separate tickets. Just had this work for me and a family member yesterday. Both cleared at T-25.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Starting 3/28, PLTs will get free upgrades on flights under 500 miles. I would guess that one (non-elite) companion would get a complimentary upgrade, but haven't seen clarification on this point.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by beerup
Starting 3/28, PLTs will get free upgrades on flights under 500 miles. I would guess that one (non-elite) companion would get a complimentary upgrade, but haven't seen clarification on this point.
Complimentary upgrades on flights less than 500 miles still seem to require a Y/B ticket though.
I'm not sure if a companion might get a complimentary upgrade on those flights, but on flights over 500 miles you'll have to use your stickers to upgrade both you and your companion.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UAE777
Complimentary upgrades on flights less than 500 miles still seem to require a Y/B ticket though.
I'm not sure if a companion might get a complimentary upgrade on those flights, but on flights over 500 miles you'll have to use your stickers to upgrade both you and your companion.
Y/B doesn't mean anything anymore. No more complimentary upgrades from Y/B fares. GLD and PLT will now start getting complimentary upgrades on flights less than 500mi. Well, they will be waitlisted for such upgrades. Lists will probably look like they do at DL.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UAE777
No, not the case.

And, as for the other Y/B thing, yes, changes this weekend as part of this package of changes:

mergervarious by JonNYCme, on Flickr
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
Y/B doesn't mean anything anymore.
Y/B will still place an elite at the very top of the list within elite tier on airport list. Even more relevant than ever with the elimination of -T doing similar.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Y/B will still place an elite at the very top of the list within elite tier on airport list.
I should have specified, I mean in terms of complimentary upgrades.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:55 pm

Only on flights 500 miles or less in length will Y/B still get you complimentary upgrades once the programs merge. There aren't any changes for those flights.

As per the upcoming changes mentioned above:
"Y/B upgrades for Platinum and Gold members are no longer complimentary unless the flight is 500 miles or less in length."

Clearly still requires Y/B fare which I personally do not consider to be worth the extra bucks on such short sectors unless you need a refundable ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.