Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles

Introduction
As it's now 2015, let's rock the new year with meal reports beginning in 2015 here! Please post your meal/service experiences on both AA and US domestic flights. This can include menus, photos, reports, questions, and service anecdotes.

International meals: If you're interested in what international meals consist of, hop on over to the international meals report discussion thread.

When you share your meal reports, please clearly indicate whether the report was on an AA or US flight (as the two airlines has not yet received a single operating license). To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include the route, time, and meal designation (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack/refreshments/none). Photos are #awesomesauce and will pop! Those are rudimentary guidelines, but of course, the format/style is all yours.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected and are okay.

AA1: JFK-LAX: 3pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2A

(from here, share the menu and/or experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
Want to go back in time? Help yourselves!

• 2014 (post-9/1 combined) - link
  • 2014 (pre-9/1) - link
  • 2013 - link
  • 2012 - link
  • 2011 - link
  • 2010 - link
  • 2009 (combined Domestic and International) - link

Enjoy!

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Jul 26, 2015 at 3:26 pm Reason: clarified international meals link
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
1/3/15
US1807: MIA-PHL: 8pm
Dinner
A332
First Class

Chicken Piccata or Artichoke Ravioli

I had the Ravioli which was OK. My husband in the window envoy suite said his chicken was borderline inedible. The person next to me barely ate their chicken as well. Pretzel bread was good! The cookie was pretty gross and way below the baked on board cookies. The crew was great.

Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Forget the Lack of Tarragon - Where's the Chicken?

3rd Jan 2015, ORD-LAS, Lunch, 1:50pm

Nuts, Appetizer, "Triple Choc" Cheese Cake:

Tarragon Chicken: (I did not eat very much of it - I did eat the beans)

Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
December 30, 2014
AA1367: TPA-DFW 9am
Breakfast
MD-83
'First'

IMO breakfast is the best of the crAAppy options now being served. The fruit was far and away the best part of the meal. Potatoes needed to be seasoned a bit more and were quite bland (dear AA, catering some small ketchup packets or bottles would be very useful for these). Sausage slices were okay but also a bit bland and overly chewy. Then we get to the 'quiche.' I'm not sure where AA gets its definition of quiche from, but that is not what this was. This is more of a souffle or strata. Again, bland but certainly edible unlike many of the lunch/dinner options.

The biscuit was just flat out stupid. Completely tasteless, chalky, cold, attempts to spread butter on it ended with a pile of crumbs on the tray and in my lap. It literally just disintegrated in my hand.

Crew was okay, but a bit slow and lazy. Biscuits were cold, no PDB of any kind despite more than enough time, hot towels were offered, no FEBO or NSEW/TZ followed, pre-orders were acknowledged however. They were out of the 'quiche' by the time they got to my seatmate who ended up with the oatmeal. Overall certainly not the worst service being offered these days, but by no means is this kind of product good or acceptable.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

January 3, 2015
AA122: DFW-MCO 7pm (Delayed)
Dinner
A321S
'First'

Tortellini in 'Arrabbiata' sauce:

or Beef in Mustard sauce.

'Roll'

Burned on Board cookie:

Knowing full well the 'beef' is pretty much inedible, I went ahead and pre-ordered the pasta, which was good because they ran out by the time they got to my seatmate in 2F. Overhead the crew saying they loaded 6 pasta and 10 'beef' for the 16 seat cabin which went out with 3 open in F.

Pasta was alright, nothing great but edible. You can imagine my surprise when I saw red sauce as previously after the 9/1 changes AA seemed to think Arrabbiata sauce was white and cheese/cream based. Another interesting thing is that the sauce is exactly the same as that on the Ricotta Cavatelli in 'Mediterranean' sauce on another menu, simply with the olive chunks omitted and the tortellini instead of the cavatelli of course.

Salad was alright, though the romaine was pretty yellow and the 'crouton' was a slice of very stale old baguette bread which was impossibly chewy and inedible. The roll was hard as a rock. I'm not sure if they were overcooking things with the ovens on these new A321s or what but I couldn't even bite into it. I get the feeling if I had thrown it across the aircraft it would have punctured a hole in the fuselage.

The cookie was also very burned. Perhaps this is how they get the warmed on board cookies to resemble baked on board these days? The bottom was a very dark brown and the whole thing had a very burned taste to it, almost as if it had been cooked in an oven full of candle smoke. I basically was only able to eat the middle part.

Overall just bad. I'm glad I had plenty of time to enjoy some good food in the Centurion Lounge prior to departing on AA. Also another lazy and uninterested crew. Pleasant enough, but far more interested in chatting in the galley than serving F. Plenty of time for a PDB, yet none was offered. The door was closed for 20 minutes at the gate before we left and they simply sat in the galley. No hot towels, no mints, though pre-orders were observed. My coat was forgotten in the closet and I had to request it upon deplaning.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Rapid Rewards, Mileage Plus
Thanks all for your advice on what I would receive in AA First on a "refreshment" designated flight. Here's what I ended up with:

AA1471 12/29/14 DFW-DEN: 9:10a.m.
Refreshments
MD-80
First Class

No PDB
1 round of drinks
Snack basket containing fruit, granola bars, and the "premium item", a square raspberry danish in a bag.

AA1010 1/3/15 DEN-DFW 4:30p.m. (delayed 2 hrs-DEN snow)
Refreshments
MD-80
First Class

PDB offered
1 round of drinks (can provided)
Snack basket containing fruit, Milano cookies, and the "premium item", a turkey and cheese snack size sandwich on a hawaiian roll.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by airb330
1/3/15
US1807: MIA-PHL: 8pm
Dinner
A332
First Class

Chicken Piccata or Artichoke Ravioli

I had the Ravioli which was OK. My husband in the window envoy suite said his chicken was borderline inedible. The person next to me barely ate their chicken as well. Pretzel bread was good! The cookie was pretty gross and way below the baked on board cookies. The crew was great.
I had the same choices on US CLT-DFW 1/3 6:25 pm.

I got the Chicken Piccata and it was awful. The chicken breast itself was fine, well cooked, not dry. But the sauce was terrible, I scraped it off. It was served with some mushy white rice and some green beans that looked (and smelled) like they came out of a can and were boiled for an hour. Beans like that were why I did not eat vegetables as a child.

The pre-meal mixed nuts were all almonds and cashews, with a single pistachio and one half of one pecan. And served at room temperature, not warmed.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
1/5/15
AA4259 (operated by Republic): MIA-BNA, 9:20 AM
Breakfast
E170
First Class

PDB of water and or OJ offered from a tray
Hot towels
Round of drinks with Biscoff cookies
Meal choice of granola and yogurt or cereal. I chose the cereal.

Still trying to post the photo.

As Eagle still hasn't been aligned to the new mainline windows, we were happy to see a breakfast tray service similar to the old AA-style complete with tray linens. The Republic crew was excellent. Multiple drink refills offered. Really enjoyed this flight and the fantastic legroom offered in the 1D/F side of the plane.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
1/6/15
AA1672 LAX/AUS
Lunch
MD80

No PDB, choice of the terrible beef with Mac and cheese or one of the pastas with red sauce. Hot nuts and drinks served first. Pre-orders acknowledged. Pax addressed by name throughout entire flight. Burnt on board cookie served on the lunch tray. Not a single person in row 4 touched theirs. Mine was hard as a rock.

Pretzel and sourdough hot bread served from a basket after trays distributed.

I understand the whimsy of a baked on board cookie from frozen dough, but a hot low quality cookie is actually far worse than other simple cheap desserts like brownies and cake. I hope USdbaAA gets over the cookie obsession and realizes nobody wants them now that they are so bad and either goes back to baked on board or swaps for something else.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
I understand the whimsy of a baked on board cookie from frozen dough, but a hot low quality cookie is actually far worse than other simple cheap desserts like brownies and cake. I hope USdbaAA gets over the cookie obsession and realizes nobody wants them now that they are so bad and either goes back to baked on board or swaps for something else.
Absolutely. The one I had last Saturday night was completely appalling. Most of it was what I consider inedible. It made DL's packaged Dancing Deer things look attractive...
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Really enjoyed my lunch today on the 1130 LAX-JFK as I start my AA travel year with 32K booked just this month. Helped that it was my first upgrade of the year and cleared at 104 hours out. This is my first A321 flight (they just price too high to do the nonstop SFO-JFK),and a $314 RT Sacramento RJ flight to LAX and then onto JFK worked out perfectly. Also my first trip into the remote Admiral's Club. Photos HERE.

Meal options:

Cheese Tortellini and Manicotti Duo
Toretellini with pesto Alfredo sauce, accompanied by Florentine Manicotti with Mediterranean tomato sauce

Pumpkin Seed Crusted Breast of Chicken
With brown butter sauce, served with sugar snap peas and mashed sweet potatoes

Soup and Salad
Classic Caesar salad served with a grilled chicken skewer and accompanied by corn chowder. Upon customer request, the salad may be available without chicken

Started with sliced sirloin of beef with corn salsa and corn chowder:

The passenger next to me had the chicken and it looked just like my meal from January, 2014, on a DCA-LAX, that I raved about.

LINK

Ice cream sundaes or cheese plate for dessert. I just had the ice cream without toppings.

Tom still on board LAX-JFK crossing Lake Michigan
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, premium transcon and Eagle are currently offering the most palatable meals in the system it seems. Glad to see that pumpkin seed chicken is still around. Had is from JFK-MIA on an extra section flight about 6 months ago and I too enjoyed it, apart from the sauce which I found to have a bit of a burned taste. Though mine may have been described as an almond encrusted chicken. Looked the same though.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
In flight meals on AA/US domestic economy?

Hello Dear Flyertalkers on the AA board,

I hope I have posted on the correct forum. If not, please Mods, feel free to move as appropriate.

I will be travelling on my first US domestic flights with AA/US later this year and am trying to find out what in flight meal services are provided (if any!). I tried the AA website but their information is very sketchy. This is so I can plan whether to buy some food to take with me or not. All flights will be in economy. I would be most grateful if anybody could let me know if any snacks or meals are provided on the following flights. I can imagine it's drinks only on flights less than 3 hours.

AA1403, Miami-Los Angeles (5hr 27min)
AA2402, Los Angeles-Dallas/Fort Worth (2hr 35min)
AA1942 operated by US Airways, Dallas/Fort Worth-Phoenix (2hr 35min)
AA695 operated by US Airways, Pheonix-Los Angeles (1hr 23min)

Many thanks in advance for any replies. ^
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
No meal service on economy flights. You will have water, soda, juice, coffee offered free of charge. Alcoholic drinks will cost at least 6-7 USD, no cash allowed, only credit card. They do offer snack, sandwiches and or salad for sale, anywhere between 5-10 USD, no cash, only credit card.

The problem with the food for sale is that sometimes they do not carry enough to go around, and depending on where you are sitting, you might not get any at all, or do not like their offering. I suggest it is best to buy your own preferred meal/snack on the concourse and bring on board, in particular for the MIA-LAX leg, that's a long one.

I see on your tag line you are a stone throw from Vienna, will be there this Saturday.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arollins
No meal service on economy flights. You will have water, soda, juice, coffee offered free of charge. Alcoholic drinks will cost at least 6-7 USD, no cash allowed, only credit card. They do offer snack and sandwiches for sale, anywhere between 5-10 USD, no cash, credit card. The problem with the food for sale is that sometimes they do not carry enough to go around, and depending on where you are sitting, you might not get any at all, or do not like their offering. I suggest is best to buy your own preferred meal on the concourse and bring on board.
Thanks for the reply arollins. So they don't serve a snack even on the 5 hour+ flights? That's quite a shocker! We're spoilt here in Europe.

Never mind, I'll buy something before board, or eat well at the AA lounges.

Wow, travelling to Vienna for work or pleasure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.