Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Major upgrade in transcon catering

JFK-LAX J, dinner flight

Starter
Smoked Salmon Dip
With roasted garlic baguettes
(delicious - more of a tartare, I'd say, with spicy micro-greens)

Salad
Spring Mix with Tomatoes and Vegetable Ribbons
With your choice of carrot ginger miso dressing or balsamic vinaigrette
(definitely a fancier salad. architecturally layered, fresh)

Entrees
Grilled Beef Filet
With truffleyaki butter, mushroom medley and polenta cake
(the beef was overcooked, in a sea of bland gravy. polenta was very rich and well flavored)

Panko Crusted Mahi Mahi
With barley fried rice

Turmeric Paneer
With red tikka curry, jeera rice and roasted two-color cauliflower
(this was absolutely delicious - fresh and flavorful)

Dessert
Traditional Ice Cream Sundae
Vanilla ice cream with your choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream and chopped nuts

Gourmet Cheese Plate
An assortment of fine cheeses

New wines (include European wines on domestic flights; is that new?):

Ca Bolani NV Prosecco, Italy (quite a step up from the previous bubbly)

Stone Barn Chardonnay, California
Pasqua Pinot Grigio Venezie, Italy (not half bad)

El Circo Contorsionista Cabernet Sauvignon, Cariera, Spain
Lyeth Meritage, Sonoma, California
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
That's great but it's not really the transcon meals that need the improvements......those have been fine IMHO (and stayed pmAA meals).
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC AA

Turmeric Paneer
That's the one I'm hearing the most pleasant surprise over:

[/url]
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's the one I'm hearing the most pleasant surprise over:[/url]

Quick question: is this a vegetarian or chicken dish?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Quick question: is this a vegetarian or chicken dish?
Paneer is a traditionally a vegetarian dish using cheese in lieu of a meat protein. I cannot speak for AA's incarnation of it however.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Turmeric Paneer
Was it very aromatic? On an AC YYZ-BCN flight, the non-vegetarian option was chicken biryani which made the entire front cabin smell as if we were in an Indian restaurant. Fortunately, I was used to that type of smell.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Sant
Was it very aromatic? On an AC YYZ-BCN flight, the non-vegetarian option was chicken biryani which made the entire front cabin smell as if we were in an Indian restaurant. Fortunately, I was used to that type of smell.
By saying "non-vegetarian" option, are you implying this was the only non-vegetarian option, and presumably you were seated in Y and were referring to the forward Y cabin/seating zone? I ask because my previous AC international J flights always had multiple non-vegetarian options available in J Cabin/Executive First.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
By saying "non-vegetarian" option, are you implying this was the only non-vegetarian option, and presumably you were seated in Y and were referring to the forward Y cabin/seating zone? I ask because my previous AC international J flights always had multiple non-vegetarian options available in J Cabin/Executive First.
It was a Rouge flight and I was in Premium Rouge. There were two meal choices with pasta being the other.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
OGG-LAX
pmAA Boeing 757-200
Lunch

NO PDB

After take-off, drink service from the cart with warm tropical nuts. Re-fill of nuts was offered.

Meal tray service, again from the cart. Choices today were a MahiMahi or a "curry-type pasta dish" as described by the FA.

I had pre-ordered the MahiMahi. It was excellent. Great flavor and great moisture content. It was served with some pretty bland, but inoffensive mashed potatoes and spinach. Portions of each were small.

Appetizer was a tuna/sushi roll, which was quite good.

Salad was iceberg lettuce with beets and goat cheese.

Bread choice of Hawaiian roll or something else, apparently. Butter packet on the tray.

No hot towel offered.

Dessert choice of fruit/cheese plate or sundae with choice of topping including pineapple or mango! ^

Snack basket and drink prior to landing.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
That's great but it's not really the transcon meals that need the improvements......those have been fine IMHO (and stayed pmAA meals).
Considering Mint's Tapas service and Delta's admission they spend more proportionately on transcon spending than on Intercontinental flying, AA had do something to match Delta and Mint.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
In case anyone is curious.....this is still the nasty teryiaki beef (barf)....this is about as much of it as i ate:

Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
In case anyone is curious.....this is still the nasty teryiaki beef (barf)....this is about as much of it as i ate:

Midcons aren't due for changes until 8/1.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's the one I'm hearing the most pleasant surprise over:

[/url]
Wow - that really does look good. Thanks for sharing! Love me some good Indian food! I wonder what prompted the introduction of this entree - maybe they got some feedback and requests for more flavorful veg entrees - or maybe there are quite a few flyers of Indian origin on the transcons? Pure conjecture on my part. Too bad I live between the coasts!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat;UA Gold;DL Gold;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Diamond;Marriott Gold;Hertz PC;Natl ExecElite
Too funny

Originally Posted by cmd320
This is one of the most vomit inducing menus currently available. The ravioli truly looks as though a cat hacked up a hairball in a casserole dish. Though the taste is slightly less bad than the 'beef' marinated in heavy metals.
I am sitting in the Qantas Business Lounge in Canberra and laughing so hard I am spitting out my champagne!--laughing because your description of that gross ravioli is spot-on, as is your description of the taste of that awful beef (which, annoyingly, was AGAIN the option on the first leg of this trip, ORD-LAX...puke).
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by cmd320
This is one of the most vomit inducing menus currently available. The ravioli truly looks as though a cat hacked up a hairball in a casserole dish. Though the taste is slightly less bad than the 'beef' marinated in heavy metals.
Greeeeeatttt.....These are my menu choices on my upcoming DCA-DFW flight. So glad I purchased F...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.