Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
I would hold my breath on Eagle outdoing mainline forever, and I would definitely not hold my breath on mainline being brought back up to the Eagle standard (there's a backwards sentence).
This.

It's only a matter of time before Eagle becomes Doug-ified and becomes the same pathetic meal experience as mainline.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by F&B767
The large salads that AA'ers were used to are returning and currently being tested in ORD. We'll see if the quality is the same and how the added protein is handled. At least some good news on the catering front.
That's a positive development! Any details on what is being tested (e.g., caterer's ability to deliver, flyers enjoyment, etc.), how long the test runs, which routes will be tested, and when the results will be known?

It'd be super news if the salads were coming back.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by cyber1k
Radiant Flyer, Thanks for your perspective on the transcon AA flagship catering. As a weekly JFK/LAX commuter in AA F, my experience is different. The AA food quality and service have most certainly been downgraded since August.. consistently.

But transcon just got a whole lot better.

It happened only one month ago. I walked on the transcon Airbus 321 and you could tell instantly there was some mindful intention at work making meaningful improvements to the onboard experience.

It's as if someone boldly decided to become a formidable player in the transcon market again. On all but one flight on my regular JFK/LAX commute, I see that they're bringing their game to the best quality I've seen onboard in years. Really everything is vastly improved and it suddenly feels thoughtful, fresh, elegant and inspiring.

The new AA has helped me discover the substantially better onboard experience. I'm now enjoying flying coast-to-coast .. on JetBlue Mint.

I am also a weekly LAX/JFK commuter as well as being an EXP and CK customer. I find it hard to believe you switched from AA to JetBlue's Mint based on the meals? As you know, if you are flying in first on that route -- and I do each week, you get access into the Flagship lounges at LAX and JFK. Both do a pretty nice spread of food especially JFK. So why don't you just eat in the Flagship lounge instead of on board? JetBlue's Mint product has nothing that comes close to AA's Flagship Lounge. In fact, does JetBlue even have a lounge??
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
I am also a weekly LAX/JFK commuter as well as being an EXP and CK customer. I find it hard to believe you switched from AA to JetBlue's Mint based on the meals? As you know, if you are flying in first on that route -- and I do each week, you get access into the Flagship lounges at LAX and JFK. Both do a pretty nice spread of food especially JFK. So why don't you just eat in the Flagship lounge instead of on board? JetBlue's Mint product has nothing that comes close to AA's Flagship Lounge. In fact, does JetBlue even have a lounge??
First of all, I also agree the catering on transcons has taken a hit. I had mentioned it in many prior threads. Quality of appetizers and quality & size of salads had been nuked to almost the same level you had on other flights, even in F. Entrees were better than the slop/glop, but not what they were. I thought it was interesting to see a menu of dishes which were all pre-AA catering. Yes, the Shrimp'n'Grits variant was a staple of SFO-DFW lunches, still a much better dish than anything I have had on recent flights even on the transcon. Curious to see if it actually is the same dish. FWIW this was a lunchtime staple as much as anything and had shown up on a mid morning flight LAX-JFK for me a long while back. AA mostly differentiated its lunch and dinner dishes and I almost never had flown a lunch flight on a transcon, only the one time, so it would have been easy to miss.

I have to say that the higher quality of onboard product across the board, not just with meals, is noticeable on the new entrants. Mint is a world apart right now, but even VX is good enough to make it preferable to me for all but a red eye.

I didn't leave for the meals alone. I certainly enjoy use of the Flagship Lounge in JFK and, on the rare occasions I am through LAX, there. I left because AA sent an unequivocal signal that they will try to get away with cutting the customer experience as much as they can. Any management which starts out on a program of change by making things as worse as reasonably possible and reversing things by steps depending on how bad things get for THEM is not one that I care to have in charge of the airline I fly.

Honestly I am not confident of the long term survival of many of the legacy AA aspects that are still there, like for example Intl or Transcon F, Flagship lounges and so on. The meals may have been the most visible change, but the manner in which that happened, the history of this management team and the general signal this all sent just really made me re-evaluate my decision to stick with AA only. So I left and have found experiences vastly superior on VX and, transcon, on JetBlue.

In general, I can't be loyal to any business that approaches change as an exercise in how much they can screw me. Just doesn't sit with me.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Oh I disagree, the LAX food offerings for lunch and breakfast are much better than JFK in the Flagship Lounge. But I do agree lunch on board is on the decline. I was on LAX JFK F this week and boy AA was stingy on the skewer salad.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
So does anyone know how often the vegetarian food options rotate on the A321T in J? I've flown this route 7 or 8 times so far this year and I feel like I've been eating the same "vegetarian" meals if I preorder, namely, the "Indian" curry for lunch. Do the menus change seasonally? I have to admit that I'm quite envious of the varied options that omnivores have on the flight (I see a good amount of rotation).
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
You're comparing two different products here. B6 mint is a J product, not an F product. Hence, it would be more accurately compared with AA J which does not get access to the Flagship lounge. Even in F, if one is arriving at the airport 45 minutes from departure, it doesn't really matter how great the food is in the Flagship lounge as they will never be able to experience it. Decent food must be served on board. Period. Otherwise the product is not of acceptable quality.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by thenecropolist
So does anyone know how often the vegetarian food options rotate on the A321T in J? I've flown this route 7 or 8 times so far this year and I feel like I've been eating the same "vegetarian" meals if I preorder, namely, the "Indian" curry for lunch. Do the menus change seasonally? I have to admit that I'm quite envious of the varied options that omnivores have on the flight (I see a good amount of rotation).
This past Wednesday the eastbound lunch choices were salmon, lasagna or a tex-mex type salad with beef skewers. The salad was a late add because I didn't see it as one of the pre-order options.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by george 3
This past Wednesday the eastbound lunch choices were salmon, lasagna or a tex-mex type salad with beef skewers. The salad was a late add because I didn't see it as one of the pre-order options.
Pre-order has been super unreliable since the meal changes. Did it show a third option in advance at all or was it just two options with the salad added when you were on board?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
I didn't leave for the meals alone. I certainly enjoy use of the Flagship Lounge in JFK and, on the rare occasions I am through LAX, there. I left because AA sent an unequivocal signal that they will try to get away with cutting the customer experience as much as they can. Any management which starts out on a program of change by making things as worse as reasonably possible and reversing things by steps depending on how bad things get for THEM is not one that I care to have in charge of the airline I fly.

Honestly I am not confident of the long term survival of many of the legacy AA aspects that are still there, like for example Intl or Transcon F, Flagship lounges and so on. The meals may have been the most visible change, but the manner in which that happened, the history of this management team and the general signal this all sent just really made me re-evaluate my decision to stick with AA only. So I left and have found experiences vastly superior on VX and, transcon, on JetBlue.

In general, I can't be loyal to any business that approaches change as an exercise in how much they can screw me. Just doesn't sit with me.
I hope you used the web form to send a comment to AA Customer Relations with the points you made above. AA needs to know if people chose competitors because of these factors.

you get access into the Flagship lounges at LAX and JFK. Both do a pretty nice spread of food especially JFK. So why don't you just eat in the Flagship lounge instead of on board?
I wouldn't classify either JFK or LAX Flagship Lounge food as "a pretty nice spread." I enjoy the salad and the fresh fruit. I like the Perrier at JFK (hate the Peligrino at LAX). The main course dishes at both are generally weak, below high-school cafeteria quality. Recent dishes for me were salmon pucks, chicken slop with beans, etc. Sometimes the soups are good. I couldn't see either lounge being a realistic alternative to on-board food except maybe for coach passengers.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Pre-order has been super unreliable since the meal changes. Did it show a third option in advance at all or was it just two options with the salad added when you were on board?
There was no third option. My original plan was to bring a burger on board but my short connect from the Eagles Nest killed that. I was pleasantly surprised with the skewer option because I don't like pasta or fish as airline food.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Glad the breakfasts are back on the mid hauls i'm flying so far this year. Haven't been too disappointed now that they are back. BUT i do wish they would have real pork bacon and sausage rather than this turkey and chicken stuff. That's really my only complaint and that's not a new thing with AA.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by grahampros
Glad the breakfasts are back on the mid hauls i'm flying so far this year. Haven't been too disappointed now that they are back. BUT i do wish they would have real pork bacon and sausage rather than this turkey and chicken stuff. That's really my only complaint and that's not a new thing with AA.
It's not a new thing with AA, but I'm very happy they do it. A significant portion of the population does not eat pork, so good of AA to rarely ever serve it when the meal choice is between two. Pork should never be offered in these situations, it's simply to commonly avoided among Americans.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
That's simply not true, behind beef, pork is not too far behind in consumption in America.

In 2012 meats consumed in America.
26.0 billion pounds of beef
23.3 billion pounds of pork
6.0 billion pounds of turkey
286.3 million pounds of veal, lamb and mutton
37.6 billion pounds of chicken

I know many Jews, Muslims and Indians who eat pork.. when we have pork ribs at work it's the most popular catered item. You would be surprised on how many people who come from cultures that don't eat pork, start to eat it when they assimilate into American culture. In the industry I work in we have a large population of Jews, Muslims, and Asians and they fight over those pork ribs... pork items are very popular at all the events I've done from NYC to LA.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
It's not a new thing with AA, but I'm very happy they do it. A significant portion of the population does not eat pork, so good of AA to rarely ever serve it when the meal choice is between two. Pork should never be offered in these situations, it's simply to commonly avoided among Americans.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kaneporta1
I'm curious, is it standard practice to offer the bread rolls on the tray or do they usually go around with a bread basket?
Good question... is there a service standard to use the bread basket? Most FA's seem to use the bread basket, but I've noticed some FA's will arbitrarily assign a roll on the tray. I wonder if it's for the sake of expedience or laziness? The second option seems to be catered, but it's not being heated nor offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.