Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rbhdal
Thanks all for your advice on what I would receive in AA First on a "refreshment" designated flight. Here's what I ended up with:

AA1471 12/29/14 DFW-DEN: 9:10a.m.
Refreshments
MD-80
First Class

No PDB
1 round of drinks
Snack basket containing fruit, granola bars, and the "premium item", a square raspberry danish in a bag.
I used to fly this flight in F weekly, although it departed at 10am then. Used to be a full lunch service. Warm nuts, cart service lunch, fresh cookies. Sorry to see what's happening with this flight.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by snorkmaster
I know it doesn't solve the sandwich quality problem in any way, but they aren't doing themselves any marketing favors with those labels.
Amen. At least when they were first introduced on the US side, the labels were somewhat decent looking and the packaging moderately attractive. Now they really do look straight out of a vending machine.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by airb330
1/3/15
US1807: MIA-PHL: 8pm
Dinner
A332
First Class

Chicken Piccata or Artichoke Ravioli

I had the Ravioli which was OK. My husband in the window envoy suite said his chicken was borderline inedible. The person next to me barely ate their chicken as well. Pretzel bread was good! The cookie was pretty gross and way below the baked on board cookies. The crew was great.

Out of curiosity, how full was your MIA-PHL flight in F? I ask since the US A332s have 20 premium seats.

p.s. AA cookies used to be awesome until the recent post-merger catering changes.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
By "US" did you mean the airline or the country?

In terms of USA, the country, yes, but that was quite some time ago. I think Continental (which merged with United a few years ago) may have been the last one. If you go back a couple decades, there were probably more.

Southwest Airlines serves free snacks, but they're not much (a small bag of peanuts or whatever).

Meanwhile, if you happen to be Executive Platinum (top elite status) at AA (and maybe for OW Emerald too?), your first sandwich on AA domestic flights is free. But it's only free at AA if that's your elite status.
Sorry sdsearch, I should have made myself clearer. I meant US as in the country.

I remember when I used to visit my mother in Florida before 2001 that Delta from ATL-VPS (maybe it was indeed Southwest Airlines) used to serve nuts or pretzels every time with a drink. I was quite surprised to find when I was on that route earlier this year that they now don't serve anything.

I will have (from April) oneworld Emerald status, but I'm not sure if AA provide a free sandwich to all oneworld Emeralds or just their own Executive Platinum members.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
The buy on board meals on US Airways are the best meals served in domestic us - far better than the free meals served in US/AA first - in my opinion.

Same on United - they have some great buy on board in coach - gross food in first.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
Out of curiosity, how full was your MIA-PHL flight in F? I ask since the US A332s have 20 premium seats.

p.s. AA cookies used to be awesome until the recent post-merger catering changes.
It was 100% full in F and Y. It was the last flight MIA-PHL for the night: US 1807 on 1/3. Another 330 (a 333) was used for PHL-MIA-PHL earlier that day too. Our flight was scheduled for 7:15 I think, but we didn't board till 7:45ish and left around 8 I believe. The standby list was long.

I'm glad it was a little late as we had to RUN to the flight from our way late BCN-MIA flight...I need to post about our meal in the int'l thread. Great US flight attendants on this flight. PDB given, another drink immediately after takeoff, quick meal service, etc. Yes, the cookies used to be good I agree. These new cookies taste cheap, they remind me of a Herr's or Frito-Lay's Grandma cookies (ie convenience store junk) that were microwaved.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UN Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone had any of these options yet? First I've seen them. This is LAX to MIA January breakfast.

Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I would love to have that southwest chicken salad in F instead of the crap they're serving now. Has anyone had any luck requesting that or a BOB item in lieu of the FC meal and not being charged?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I would love to have that southwest chicken salad in F instead of the crap they're serving now. Has anyone had any luck requesting that or a BOB item in lieu of the FC meal and not being charged?
Years ago on a transcon the dinner choices were truly dreadful. I asked if I could sub the BOB instead. I was told that only after the FAs made a pass through Y with any left. IIRC they sold out and so I took the least wretched choice in J (corn beef and hash).
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
The waffles were around last year. I'd go with them unless you're craving eggs. Too bad the cereal isn't oatmeal. The AA oatmeal is great.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Here is some of the history of economy meal service in the US. After the tragic attacks of 9/11, meals in domestic economy were discontinued on all major US carriers. They were losing so much money every day that they simply could not continue to provide meals in domestic economy.

Before the 90's, meals were plentiful on most full-service US carriers in domestic economy (even on shorter flights). It was not unusual to have steak in economy on a longer domestic flights. During the 90's, meals were cut back substantially in economy due to the lower deregulated fares, but most carriers still served snacks on medium-length flights with meals on longer domestic flights. Ironcially, meal service was making a comeback in the year prior to the 9/11 attacks.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Back in 2005 or 2006 I know I definitely got a meal in Y on AA on the LAX-SJU route.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
The waffles were around last year. I'd go with them unless you're craving eggs. Too bad the cereal isn't oatmeal. The AA oatmeal is great.
Had the waffles last week - pretty good. Biscuit they came around with was hard and tasteless though.

At least AA knows how to make a decent brekky...you guys have no idea how bad UA's is (google "hockey puck" for an idea )
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Back in 2005 or 2006 I know I definitely got a meal in Y on AA on the LAX-SJU route.
LAX-SJU is not considered a domestic flight for various purposes, which may include meals.

(I recall a post some years ago which documented at least 7 different factors for which AA divided "domestic" vs "international" somewhat differently. Factors include whether second class on two-class planes is called First or Business, whether meals are served in economy, whether 500-mile upgrades are usable, whether domestic or international baggage rules apply, etc, etc.)

Puerto Rico is not part of the United States proper, even though it is a US territory. So it's ripe for confusion about whether it's "domestic" or "international" (not just with airlines, but for example with credit cards that have Foreign Transaction Fees).
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by headingwest
Thanks for the reply arollins. So they don't serve a snack even on the 5 hour+ flights? That's quite a shocker! We're spoilt here in Europe.

Never mind, I'll buy something before board, or eat well at the AA lounges.

Wow, travelling to Vienna for work or pleasure?
Want to know something sad, headingwest? They don't even serve free food on the DFW-HNL flights (~8h0m), which has caught more than a few people off guard who figured they'd "just eat on the plane." A far cry from BA's plentiful service even in Euro Traveller.

If I were you, I'd look for something tasty in the airport and bring it on board the aircraft (especially for your MIA-LAX flight). The buy-on-board offerings (credit card only) don't taste bad, but there's always the chance that they may run out of your prefered choice before they reach your seat. It's best to just eat in the airport or bring your own food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.