Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by chrisremo
Thanks, very helpful!

Just to clarify: does "no meals served between 1:31-4pm" refer to flights departing during that timeframe?
Yes, flights that are 900-1298 miles, along with exception flights falling under 900 miles, do not receive meals in that departing timeframe; only the snack basket and Lite Bites.

All flights that are 1299+ miles will receive full meal service during 1:31-4pm (lunch/dinner).

Important side note: does anyone still have the leaked charts of the AA meal service - charts with times on them? They were floating around last year when the leaked new charts showing the new timing parameters.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Just curious what kind of crud is being served on eagle these days? Wife and I and already opped up tonight so curious to see how much dougie has ruined eagle too.
Envoy and Republic catering has not changed. It was announced that all RJ meal service would be discontinued on October 1, but that never happened.

Mesa does not serve meals, even on flights like IAH-LAX, which is beyond ridiculous, but that's Dougie for you.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Just curious what kind of crud is being served on eagle these days? Wife and I and already opped up tonight so curious to see how much dougie has ruined eagle too.
Envoy and Republic catering has not changed. It was announced that all RJ meal service would be discontinued on October 1, but that never happened.

Mesa does not serve meals, even on flights like IAH-LAX, which is beyond ridiculous, but that's Dougie for you.
Sure is. Just realized we're on mesa operating as eagle so no crud for us tonight? Sammys it is!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Yes, flights that are 900-1298 miles, along with exception flights falling under 900 miles, do not receive meals in that departing timeframe; only the snack basket and Lite Bites.

All flights that are 1299+ miles will receive full meal service during 1:31-4pm (lunch/dinner).

Important side note: does anyone still have the leaked charts of the AA meal service - charts with times on them? They were floating around last year when the leaked new charts showing the new timing parameters.
This isn't fully correct. Flights under 1000 will not receive a meal in this timeframe but flights from 1000-1299 will receive the basic domestic lunch service.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
This isn't fully correct. Flights under 1000 will not receive a meal in this timeframe but flights from 1000-1299 will receive the basic domestic lunch service.
This is very odd. According to the AA website:

900 – 1,298 miles
(2:30 – 3:30 hours)

Warmed mixed nuts, followed by a three-course meal including a warm cookie for dessert is served on most flights*.

*Full meals are served on departures between 5 a.m. -1:30 p.m. and 4:01 p.m. – 8 p.m. Warmed mixed nuts and Lite Bites are served on departures between 1:31 p.m. – 4 p.m. and after 8:01 p.m.
Based on the above quoted text ad verbatim from AA's website, it looks like all flights between 900-1298 miles will not get meals on departing 1:31-4pm flights.

Oddly enough, I did some testing. ORD-MIA/MCO both are in that mileage bracket, and despite what the website says, including the asterik next to 900-1298 miles pointing to that text, it looks like you may be correct - there's still meal service shown for 1:31-4pm flights. So, is the AA website wrong, or...?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:16 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I think you are confusing AA with UA

ETA: I saw your recent post... Interesting. AFAIK, anything departing after 5am up to 8pm will have a meal if it is over 1,000 miles.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfingboy
I think you are confusing AA with UA

ETA: I saw your recent post... Interesting. AFAIK, anything departing after 5am up to 8pm will have a meal if it is over 1,000 miles.
Hmmm okay, looks like the AA website is wrong, then, or out of date. Maybe it was intended for the original cutbacks in September 2014, when the minimum threshold was 1000 miles, and they hadn't updated it to reflect.

Nonetheless, I stand corrected. 1000 miles and above, no gaps in meal windows. Will update the Wiki to reflect this.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:22 pm

Hmmm okay, looks like the AA website is wrong, then, or out of date. Maybe it was intended for the original cutbacks in September 2014, when the minimum threshold was 1000 miles, and they hadn't updated it to reflect.

Nonetheless, I stand corrected. 1000 miles and above, no gaps in meal windows. Will update the Wiki to reflect this.
I think AA website got the exception flights mixed up with the 1000-1298 flights. After all the website does state the following for the non-exception flights:

When planning your travel, please keep in mind that we serve meals in First and Business Class between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. Meals are also determined by flight miles, so time-ranges are approximate.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfingboy
I think AA website got the exception flights mixed up with the 1000-1298 flights. After all the website does state the following for the non-exception flights:

When planning your travel, please keep in mind that we serve meals in First and Business Class between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. Meals are also determined by flight miles, so time-ranges are approximate.
Gotcha. Corrected the Wiki! Thanks, golfingboy and cmd320, for the help and clarification.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
American Airlines is no more it's USair. On my flight yesterday JFK - LAX I was told by a group of FA that the airline is getting a new caterer. The one with the dirt cheap bid won, if you think food is ok to bad now get ready for the full USAir experience coming soon.

I have flown 40,000 miles so far in 2015 and the food and beverage on the non-trans con flights are GARBAGE. The employees of this airline should be ashamed to serve such slop.

There are no words to describe how disgusted I am with the New American Airlines.

Originally Posted by chrisremo
I realize that foodservice is a minor part of AA's business, and clearly one of the first to take cuts when cuts are being made, but it is somewhat surprising to me that there isn't more pressure on them in this area, in an era when even companies like McDonald's--let alone companies aiming for higher-end products--seem to be feeling pressure from competitors offering higher quality food offerings. You'd think that given the general increasing attention paid to quality of ingredients and preparation in society at large, there would be more pushback against this decline.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, very odd that the website information doesn't match what is currently being used in practice. Honestly I never check the website for this kind of info, I just go directly to FT.

My best guess is what golfingboy said in that there seems to be some mix up between the standard and exception meal flights on aa.com. Hopefully this isn't a stealth 'enhAAncement' we will be surprised about one day...
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, very odd that the website information doesn't match what is currently being used in practice. Honestly I never check the website for this kind of info, I just go directly to FT.

My best guess is what golfingboy said in that there seems to be some mix up between the standard and exception meal flights on aa.com. Hopefully this isn't a stealth 'enhAAncement' we will be surprised about one day...
And even more oddly so, the website still shows ORD-AUS and DCA-MIA as exception flights. The thing is, both flights are over 900 miles and any flight over 900 miles are not exception flights anymore, because the minimum threshold now is 900 miles!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:13 pm

And even more oddly so, the website still shows ORD-AUS and DCA-MIA as exception flights. The thing is, both flights are over 900 miles and any flight over 900 miles are not exception flights anymore, because the minimum threshold now is 900 miles!
So does the wiki
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is definitely odd. It is worth noting though, that the flights in the 900-999 range which are no longer technically exceptions, still will not receive mid to late afternoon lunch service. DFW-MCO is a good example where a few of the 2-4pm flights will only see refreshments.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

That is definitely odd. It is worth noting though, that the flights in the 900-999 range which are no longer technically exceptions, still will not receive mid to late afternoon lunch service. DFW-MCO is a good example where a few of the 2-4pm flights will only see refreshments.
And other little things on the website doesn't make sense. For example:

900-1298 miles: Warmed mixed nuts, followed by a three-course meal including a warm cookie for dessert is served on most flights*.
A321 Transcontinental Service: Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
Bolding mine. Three courses? 900-1298mi flight meals only get the salad and entree. A321 (JFK-LAX/SFO) gets the appetizer, salad, and main entree. Technically, the 900-1298mi part says "including a warm cookie", but the sundaes/cheese plates on the JFK-LAX/SFO transcons would make it a four-course meal, if AA was including desserts.

Also, A321 Transcontinental Service? Most US transcons use A321s too; just a different class of A321. People could get confused and think that means ALL A321 transcons would get that level of service. Misleading. Wouldn't it be better to say something like "Premium Flagship Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX)"? MIA-LAX uses 1x/2x 777 a day as well, not the A321, but still gets the same service standard as JFK-LAX/SFO.

Hawaii service - they could explain more in-depth what overnight Hawaii-mainland flights get.

That, along with the exception flights listing flights that are above 900 miles.

Just generally confusing and somewhat inconsistent, as well as lacking specifies/details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.