Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by cmd320
No, actually. Was this a pmAA menu item? A typical snAAck service would have an entree salad with protein plated on the side (similar to today's lunch options though with a slightly larger portion size) or a wrap/sandwich choice, think chicken curry or roast beef wrap. I'm struggling to remember a cold plate option though.
No it was a US F class item consisting of a chicken breast (cold) with some type of marinade. Accompanied often by pasta salad.

Was offered to F class on late evening transcons and on east bound red eyes.

After my 15th or so cold chicken plate, I'd rather see pigs feet on a plate.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Meal improvements post 8/1? LOL.

DFW-Montral
AA 1578
737-800
6:35P-11:19P
August 17, 2015
Dinner

Pleasant and efficient crew that offered what appeared to be open bar PDBs although I requested ice water. Alas, nothing the crew could do about one of the worst AA meals of the year.

Table linens? Such a comedian.

Not yet risking any post 9/1 AA chicken dish, I pre-selected the Four Cheese Ravioli. Also wisely ate in the Centurion Lounge just in case. FA acknowledged my choice, sort of... by saying "Mr. SFO777, you pre-ordered the Artichoke Ravioli." Say what??

Anyway...

Any idea what this might be other than something was once inside a cat or dog? Perhaps the same tapenade that seemed to be slathering 6B's chicken. I bravely took one for the team and took one small bite and no more.

And the usual post 9/1 excuse for a salad. Sorry, not taking another one for the team today.

My "Artichoke Ravioli" aka the Four Cheese Ravioli. Your basic microwaved 7-Eleven quality. I always thought bruschetta included toast. Apparently not at AA.

For dessert, hey as long as were at 7-Eleven, let's go with a cheap and bad Cherry Garcia knock-off.

On a positive note, looks like we'll be arriving 20 minutes early. Can't wait for my JFK-LAX flight on Wednesday unless JetSmarter saves me.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Yeah, that's a pretty weak menu. I was going to have to endure it last week (and really didn't know what to choose as both sounded gross), but was fortunate enough to have my AAircraft go tech (thanks 737s!) at which point I switched to a VX flight. Really night and day.

At any rate, thank you for taking one for the team so that I know if I ever see the jumbo turned four cheese ravioli with lemon Alfredo, I'll steer well clear of AA or just self cater if no other options exist.

Along with the mythical linens, I'm still waiting to see that fresh parm and basil addition to the pastas that was supposed to begin months ago.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
DEN-LAX
Compass Air ERJ-175
Breakfast

Outstanding service from Claudia up front. PDB of choice before take-off.

After take-off, drink of choice served in proper glassware, followed by a hot towel.

Meal service was offered on today's flight, though no choice.

The meals on Eagle flights continue to outshine those on mainline!

Meal consisted of granola, the always humorous Hershey's "white milk," a mini cinnamon croissant, full banana, cheese and crackers plate that included brie cheese, table water "cream" crackers, and red and green grapes.

Drinks were kept full throughout the flight!

LAX-OGG
pmAA new domestic configured B757-200
Breakfast

2 outstanding crews in a row? What?

PDB of OJ, water, mimosa, or "champagne" offered before takeoff. We were greeted with the Hawaiian agricultural forms as we entered the aircraft door, which I thought was a little tacky.

After takeoff, extremely friendly crew offered drink of choice.

Meal service from the cart (sigh).

Choices today were the steel-cut oatmeal or the cheddar-cheese omelette. I had the omelette, and it was...edible. The biscuit was the best I've tasted since post 9/1...almost reminded me of pmAA biscuits!

Fruit on the tray was extremely ripe and juicy. Literally some of the best melons I've ever had.

Drinks were kept full throughout the flight.

Prior to landing, snack basket was passed and Hawaiian mixed nuts were served.

The captain gave a tour of the Hawaiian islands as we entered Maui, chock-full of historical information and things to do, which I thought was a nice touch. I've flown with him before and he did the same thing last time. ^

Overall, a great day of AA flying.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Linens are not the problem

I thought maybe the presentation was effecting my ability to enjoy the meal service on AA but this week I flew both IB and BA on short intra europe flights in J and both flights had delicious meals. I mean way better than anything I've had on AA even better than transcontinental. The food tasted fresh and sauces were light and tasty. Chicken was restarunt quality and although no linens on either tray and crappier seats, both flights left me wanting more and great food added to the enjoyment. American really sucks. I didn't realize just how bad the garbage in First has become. They should start surcharge on all free upgrades to restore their product
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Flagship JFK-LAX. Only complaint i have here is they didn't have any strawberries for what seemed to be a smaller sundae.

Well at least the PDB was in glass. i know some people here are a real stickler for that lol.

THANK GOD I GOT LINENS. Ya'll have no idea what kind of a hissy fit i would've thrown if there wasn't a *** **** napkin under my food

A lot more hummus than i had bread for.

Plenty of salad, questionable quantity of dressing.

These came about 1 hour prior to landing. I noticed business also got cookies too, but no milk.

30 mins prior to landing FA came around with tonic water/lemon and mints.

i had to snapchat ice cream on a plane, but it was tiny compared to other sundaes ive had.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
No it was a US F class item consisting of a chicken breast (cold) with some type of marinade. Accompanied often by pasta salad.

Was offered to F class on late evening transcons and on east bound red eyes.

After my 15th or so cold chicken plate, I'd rather see pigs feet on a plate.
+1! Funny story, but after having over 50 of those things, I actually have NO appetite for bowtie pasta anymore. I was so sick of the seasoning on the chicken that just the light smell that came off those plates (since they were thankfully cold) was enough to make my stomach turn. Thankfully they still had special meals back then, and I would rotate through those for variety. The old SFML was really nice -- usually some variation of shrimp or crab, back then.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Any idea what this might be other than something was once inside a cat or dog? Perhaps the same tapenade that seemed to be slathering 6B's chicken. I bravely took one for the team and took one small bite and no more.

That's an appetizer variation zucchini involtini... It's Italian, like I am. I can't comment on how it tasted, but visually, that's actually exactly how an involtini would look.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Along with the mythical linens...
As long as I've been flying, on every airline I've flown, there have always been a small number of flights where linens get miscatered or skipped. Now whether they are "mythical" because they aren't placed exactly where you would prefer them during service, is a different story.... But that doesn't make them mythical, IMHO.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I flew SFO-PHL (redeye) in November 2011, and there was nothing (no cheese plate, no prearrival continental breakfast box) at all other than drinks and a small, meager snack basket.

Add that datapoint. Perhaps the cheese plate was discontinued in pmUS redeye transcon F before 2011? Hard to believe, because April 2011 brought some pmUS F improvements across the board.
Having flown the PHX-CLT more times then I want to remember, the redeye never had a breakfast box, the only breakfast box I revieved was on the HNL-PHX flight.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If you're going to Snapchat, you have to spell it "Ice Cream Yasssss"
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
As long as I've been flying, on every airline I've flown, there have always been a small number of flights where linens get miscatered or skipped. Now whether they are "mythical" because they aren't placed exactly where you would prefer them during service, is a different story.... But that doesn't make them mythical, IMHO.
They haven't made a single appearance on a flight that I've been on since last August, so in my experience at least, they're pretty mythical. One in a hundred flights, sure, chalk it up to a catering or service error. With that said, I have yet to see a post-merger tray linen, which would indicate something fundamentally wrong with either the catering service or the cabin service, as well as the oversight of each.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
THANK GOD I GOT LINENS. Ya'll have no idea what kind of a hissy fit i would've thrown if there wasn't a *** **** napkin under my food
I hope you sent in a complaint seeking compensation for the unsightly crease in that tan linen!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
That's an appetizer variation zucchini involtini... It's Italian, like I am. I can't comment on how it tasted, but visually, that's actually exactly how an involtini would look.
Thanks for that. Heh, I reported on that upthread and did eat the whole thing and thought the 'wrap' was grilled (there were grill marks) cucumber when it was really grilled zucchini. I didn't find anything really wrong with the appetizer, rather that it was relatively flavorless. If it's supposed to be that way, they succeeded.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Anyone remember the dreaded "cold chicken" plate?????
Yes. On several LAX-CLT and LAX-PIT redeyes, pre-HP merger.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Yup. I had it last night, and it was delicious (and quite visually appealing, I might add). I'll offer a full trip report once I've had a chance to upload pics.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.