Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines: Arrivals lounge in FRA / Frankfurt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA or oneworld Arrivals Lounge at FRA / Frankfurt am Main Airport

Japan Airlines First Class and Sakura Lounges

Must present a boarding pass for same day departing travel on an AA marketed and operated flight* and one of the following:
  • First Class or Business Class ticket (on same flight)
  • oneworld Emerald or oneworld Sapphire card
  • Admirals Club membership
No use is permitted if you are not departing as stated on the same day - no arrival lounge use is otherwise permitted.

*Flight sold with AA flight number and operated by AA.
Link to FRA JL Sakura Lounge hours, amenities, etc.

Link to FRA Terminal 2 including JL Sakura Lounge location.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat

I'm flying into FRA in J in a few weeks, and this the first time I've done so since US left *A. What are the arrival lounge options now, if any?

It looks like I can use the JAL lounge through OW if it was an outbound flight on US, but I'm not sure how this would work arriving into FRA.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There are none I'm aware of.

Of course, there never was an Arrivals lounge in FRA; the Admirals Club was inconveniently landslide, which meant you could use it as an arrivals lounge - but not by intention.

The FRA Sakura Lounge is accessible to departing AA and US elites and higher cabin class flyers, as well as Admirals and US Clubs members, not to mention through the usual oneworld rules, AFAIK, but you can't access it for arrivals.

From aa.com:

Japan Airlines (lounge):

Must present a boarding pass for same day departing travel on an AA or US marketed and operated flight* and one of the following:
• First Class or Business Class ticket (on same flight)
• oneworld Emerald or oneworld Sapphire card
• Admirals Club or US Airways Club membership

*Flight sold with AA or US flight number and flown on AA or US aircraft.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 19, 2014 at 8:40 am Reason: Add aa.com language
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by tacostuff
I'm flying into FRA in J in a few weeks, and this the first time I've done so since US left *A. What are the arrival lounge options now, if any?

It looks like I can use the JAL lounge through OW if it was an outbound flight on US, but I'm not sure how this would work arriving into FRA.
I don't know how to get there either if not connecting, but last time I flew into FRA, US gave me a card on board showing the JAL Sakura Lounge as the arrival lounge option. I didn't use it as I didn't have time that day, but the card simply says "located in T2, Level 3, near gate D4" which is what I recall for departing from FRA; perhaps there's an arrivals area that's landside?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
The former Admirals Club footprint is still there - it's the Luxx Lounge now, still landside in T1. I think it ceased as an AC not long after AA stopped service from ORD and (I think) one of two departures from DFW leaving only AA70.

I have used it about a dozen times as an Arrival and Departure lounge since then via AMEX PLT/Priority Pass. It's still pretty small but has showers and a decent setup for a light breakfast, and a make your own bloody mary setup and so on. The staff is nice. On occasion I've stopped in there for a bit departing before heading airside over to JAL. JAL staff is annoying at best, but it's a lot bigger. About the same lineup for beverages as the Luxx.

One thing on the Luxx - they either allow a lot of guests - or travel groups have access bundled into their tickets - sometimes it is packed with large departing (15 or more) groups all traveling together. Or they just paid the 30euro fee. On those ocasions I just head straight to JAL.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
The last time I used the Sakura lounge as an arrivals lounge, they asked for proof of onward travel on Oneworld - which I luckily had.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: US, HH
You can use the JAL lounge as arrivals lounge if you arrive in J. They will ask for your boarding pass. (No need for onward travel in this case.) The lounge is pretty much right across from where we got out of the gate area into the terminal (arriving on US).
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Spiff
The last time I used the Sakura lounge as an arrivals lounge, they asked for proof of onward travel on Oneworld - which I luckily had.
Originally Posted by GrjApp
You can use the JAL lounge as arrivals lounge if you arrive in J. They will ask for your boarding pass. (No need for onward travel in this case.) The lounge is pretty much right across from where we got out of the gate area into the terminal (arriving on US).
Is arrivals lounge use a published benefit? I think this is news to many of us...
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Is arrivals lounge use a published benefit? I think this is news to many of us...
It's certainly not a published benefit. It sounds as if some are being granted access; we'll have to wait and see if the OP is admitted and if s/he can confirm arrivals lounge access when one doesn't have an ongoing oneworld flight.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: US, HH
I've twice in the last 6 months arrived in J on US and was granted arrivals access, incoming boarding pass asked for, nothing else. Wasn't asked about onward travel. I did ask if I would be able to use the lounge on arrival in Y and was told no. I'm OW Emerald but I don't think that mattered for arrival, only being in J.

ETA that the USAirways logo is actually displayed at the entrance if I remember correctly. At check-in, departing in Y, they specifically told me I can use the JAL lounge (assuming due to Emerald).

Last edited by GrjApp; Dec 20, 2014 at 8:56 am
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by AATrout
The former Admirals Club footprint is still there - it's the Luxx Lounge now, still landside in T1. I think it ceased as an AC not long after AA stopped service from ORD and (I think) one of two departures from DFW leaving only AA70.

I have used it about a dozen times as an Arrival and Departure lounge since then via AMEX PLT/Priority Pass. It's still pretty small but has showers and a decent setup for a light breakfast, and a make your own bloody mary setup and so on. The staff is nice. On occasion I've stopped in there for a bit departing before heading airside over to JAL. JAL staff is annoying at best, but it's a lot bigger. About the same lineup for beverages as the Luxx.

One thing on the Luxx - they either allow a lot of guests - or travel groups have access bundled into their tickets - sometimes it is packed with large departing (15 or more) groups all traveling together. Or they just paid the 30euro fee. On those ocasions I just head straight to JAL.
LUXX also now charges an additional fee for shower use. Looking forward to hear in arrival in J will allow access to JAL Lounge. If no one reports before, I will near the end of January.

Last edited by Madison Guy; Dec 20, 2014 at 2:19 pm
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
For what it's worth I have a few of the cards US has handed out to us in business class for the arrivals lounge this year as I often don't use a lounge on arrival. This one includes FRA:

http://m.imgur.com/uGUZ2Vq

I can't answer whether a OW elite in coach would get access though as I've not had to fly Y transatlantic in a long time, but US gives them out to all business class passengers and does not discriminate against upgrades, award tickets, etc vs paid business tickets.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...om_shower.html

6 Euros.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by phlwookie
For what it's worth I have a few of the cards US has handed out to us in business class for the arrivals lounge this year as I often don't use a lounge on arrival. This one includes FRA:

http://m.imgur.com/uGUZ2Vq

I can't answer whether a OW elite in coach would get access though as I've not had to fly Y transatlantic in a long time, but US gives them out to all business class passengers and does not discriminate against upgrades, award tickets, etc vs paid business tickets.
Interesting. I didn't receive an equivalent flying DFW-FRA in J.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
The Sheraton Frankfurt Airport hotel is very conveniently located, literally just down the hall/catwalk from where the Luxx Lounge/"old" AC used to be. It offers day-use rates, but those seem to currently--and IMHO prohibitively-- quite expensive for that purpose:

http://www.sheratonfrankfurtairport.com/en/day-rooms

One may or may not be able to find an actual "night" rate that might be cheaper.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
UPDATE: The JAL Lounge attendant told me yesterday that arriving business class passengers on US tickets could use the lounge as an arrivals lounge - but NOT AA arrivals. He said "US will pay for your access, AA will not." So I just used the LUXX Lounge. Interesting though...

Last edited by Madison Guy; Jan 23, 2015 at 4:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.